Some Lovely Countryside for Cycling Around Basingstoke

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JtB, 1 May 2010.

1. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Today I did my longest ride so far (38 miles), following a big circle around Basingstoke.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried this route last year, but cut it short when I ran out of steam after about 30 miles.

This year I went better prepared with some cereal bars in my pockets. My 1977 Carlton was also better prepared, with the tyres rock hard, the bearings well greased and the chain well lubricated.

My average speed wasn't that great because I had to stop off every mile or so to check the map, 3 times for my cereal bars and twice to take calls on my mobile. But nevertheless I still managed it in just under 3 hours.

I've lived in this area for nearly 30 years and this route even passes my house, but you just don't appreciate the scenery until you get on a bike. Some lovely forests with undulating hills in the background, next time I'll take some photos with my mobile or even better get a camera for my helmet.

Feeling well pleased with myself at the moment and ready for the next challange :thumbsup:

2. djondjayvadas

djondjayvadas New Member

Sweet, part of that is my commute to work to Newbury :thumbsup: Any chance of slightly larger images?

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Nice! And a perfectly respectable time for the distance.

The best bit, I imagine, from what I've heard, is that you can go round Basingrad, and not into it!:rofl:

4. djondjayvadas

djondjayvadas New Member

Basingrad is a perfectly compact commuter town, THANKS ACTUALLY.

;D

5. Arch

:rofl:

To be fair, I've never even been there. But my bro in law worked there for a while, and my sister refers to it as Basingrad....

6. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

Some of the best green lanes in the country round there<, but you would need an mtb.

7. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

If you PM me with your email address, I'll send you the PDF scan I took of the route.

Thanks Arch, yes its all country lanes through rolling fields, farmland and woodlands.

8. rusty bearing

rusty bearing Über Member

Did a ride there last year while visiting friends, actually surprised how hilly it was! Oop in Lancyshire we think its flat down south. Mind you I have to admit you have some great places to ride and the roads were surprisingly quiet.

9. Arch

Shaun, if I PM you an email address, could I have a PDF too? My bro in law is into cycling a bit (he's signed up for a sportive in the summer I think), and it would be relatively local to him for a training run, if he wanted it.

10. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Check your email, I've now sent it.

11. Arch

No sign yet....

12. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

I cycled this route again yesterday and took a few pictures with my phone to give you an idea. It pained me to lose momentum to stop and use the camera, but hey, I've got responsibilities to the forum too.
    4632335346_e1ec3ed5f1.jpg
    4632328052_ea8a6c554d.jpg
    4632328054_6ea475f59e.jpg
    4632328064_12a20d6cbc.jpg
    4632328066_07cb262ff3.jpg
    4632331942_3710cca7e9.jpg
    4632331948_b16695e15b.jpg
    4632331956_235383829f.jpg
    4632331958_9cf90a1a85.jpg
    4632335328_2ac6439b22.jpg
    4632335334_252c661488.jpg
    4632335336_c9aa48671c.jpg

13. Arch

Oh, that looks nice - especially the shady bits!

I passed the route onto my bro in law as a 'nice 38 mile ride) and he replied saying he thought he had the book somewhere, and had never seen 'nice' and '38 miles' put together before...

Bless....

Today I did a "bleedin' hot" 57....

The only scenery pic I took was slightly less picturesque, but there's a solidity about Drax that I can't help admiring...

DSCN0008.jpg

14. Norm

Norm Guest

Which book is that from, Shaun, as Basingstoke isn't very far from me and that looks lovely.

15. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Norm, the book is Philip's Cycle Tours (Hampshire and the Isle of White):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hampshire-Wight-Philips-Cycle-Tours/dp/0540082015
    I borrowed it from our local library primarily for the 'off-road routes', but it also contains a load of 'road routes' too. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the PDF scan I took of the Basingstoke road route.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice