Some musings on the FA cup final.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I know it's not possible, but wouldn't it be great if neither team won?

Why do they persist in leaving those seats in the two stands around the dugouts empty? It was the same for the play-offs and being opposite the cameras, makes it look as though the fans aren't interested. I know it's for the "corporate" big-wigs but it looks awful. There are loyal fans out there who've been to every game this season and are denied the opportunity to see their team in an FA cup final and can't get a ticket and there are empty seats! They must be enraged! When I last went to a cup final (2006), we were on a train from Bath (my auntie lives there and there's a direct line to Cardiff from there) we got talking to some lads who had tickets for the game. Their accents were strange to me so I asked them who they supported. "We don't care as long as we see a good game" they said! I was stunned. They'd all been to the last 11 FA cup finals courtesy of the Wiltshire FA and had no allegiance for any of the 22 teams who'd played there in that time! And yet there were lads outside the ground who'd flown from Australia in some cases in the hope of getting in. I think this is disgraceful.

The design of the ground for TV purposes leaves a lot to be desired. The FA cup final and play-off games are always played in late May and the possibility of strong sunlight is quite high leading to lots of glare/darkness for the poor cameramen to sort out.

Having said all that, my son went last week and he's been to some of the best stadiums (yes, I know but I refuse to use THAT word) in the world and reckons the new Wembley is really impressive inside.

iLB

Hello there
the toffees have come to a sticky end :biggrin:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
But I don't think there's anything wrong with people actually going to the match even if they aren't diehard supporters of either team is there?

Yes. Yes there is.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No, no there isn't. I love pantomimes:wacko:

Anyway, it's the cricket season and about time the overpaid primadonnas buggered off to Torremolinos.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've been to Football games where i support neither team. Football is entertainment, i like to be entertained, ergo i go to see any football game i want to.

Long gone are the days where everyone in the ground is a part of the local community and what I think i think you are getting at PaulB, a true fan.

yello

Uncle Mort said:
But I don't think there's anything wrong with people actually going to the match even if they aren't diehard supporters of either team is there?

On the scale of injustices on the planet, no it matters not a jot. Besides, there is many a self-professed 'diehard' supporter coming out of the woodwork for such glory/pain experiences. It's a part of the game too imho.

I got an FA Cup final ticket for Liverpool v Wimbledon many years back (my flatmate's dad had friends in referee's association or something). As I approached Wembley, I could see Liverpool fans climbing the walls to get in! Seemingly it mattered that much to them. I momentarily considered giving my ticket away as I didn't really care, I was only there as a neutral - but it was only a momentary thought!

Will1985

Über Member
I'm pretty bored of watching football these days...I've got better things to be doing than watching a bunch of overpaid primadonne kicking a ball around and falling over. The only interesting football I've seen recently is from the lower leagues.

What's the point about FA cup final allocations? It has been that way for years and years. It is the showcase event where the central FA is able to reward local members and affiliated parties for their involvement in football over the year.

I don't believe in die-hard supporters in the Premier League unless they are actually historically local to that team. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people who missed out only see 1 or 2 games a year and have no historical connection to the club (more so for the likes of ManU/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea than Everton).
There is a reason why clubs can prioritise allocations by postcode or number of games attended.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Will1985 said:
I'm pretty bored of watching football these days...I've got better things to be doing than watching a bunch of overpaid primadonne kicking a ball around and falling over. The only interesting football I've seen recently is from the lower leagues.

Of course!!

Ho dimenticato molte parole:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
PaulB said:
I know it's not possible, but wouldn't it be great if neither team won?

Why do they persist in leaving those seats in the two stands around the dugouts empty? It was the same for the play-offs and being opposite the cameras, makes it look as though the fans aren't interested. I know it's for the "corporate" big-wigs but it looks awful. There are loyal fans out there who've been to every game this season and are denied the opportunity to see their team in an FA cup final and can't get a ticket and there are empty seats! They must be enraged!
I couldn't agree more. I went to see Blades v Burnley in the play-off and the ground was packed out apart from the VIP area.

One question slightly off topic.

Why wasn't the time and score on the screen of the ITV champions league final.

I ended up having to surf the intranet to find out the score as I missed a lot of the first half.Oh yeah then I changed over to Sky.

Wolf04

hackbike 666 said:
One question slightly off topic.

Why wasn't the time and score on the screen of the ITV champions league final.

I ended up having to surf the intranet to find out the score as I missed a lot of the first half.Oh yeah then I changed over to Sky.

Yeh noticed that too. It was missing on ITV Freeview but was OK on ITV via cable.

Top Bottom