Some newbie questions for fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I have bull horns on my fixed I use a bar extender for my second light.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-bar-x-tender/rp-prod11337

On a fixed you are better with nuts rather than QR
Pedal strike is rare, just take it easy till you get used to the bike.

Image0046.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Brake levers like Dave r, leaves plenty of room on the bars.

D

Deleted member 1258

Brake levers like Dave r, leaves plenty of room on the bars.

I've a computer and a light on the bars, I put the second light on the extender because I don't want to lose any hand positions, the bike is my winter bike as well as my commuter and it gets used for long distances in the winter.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I may be guilty of overthinking this but on the ride in this morning I tried to analyse the bits where I stop pedalling:

1. Going downhill (sometimes0
2. Going uphill (sometimes when I need a couple of seconds breather)
3. Approaching a stop (always)
4. Cornering (always)
5. Unclipping from the pedal (always)

Unless I learn very quickly these are going to cause me issues and this isn't even bringing my total lack of co-ordination into play (pedalling, braking and unclipping at the same time could be fun). :eek:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Over thinking is a common mistake amongst first timers, myself included. When I stopped thinking and started to enjoy the simplicity of fixed, I stopped having those 'trying to stop pedalling' issues.

I will be going back to fixed when my elbow allows. I love it.

Venod

Eh up
I may be guilty of overthinking this but on the ride in this morning I tried to analyse the bits where I stop pedalling:

1. Going downhill (sometimes0
2. Going uphill (sometimes when I need a couple of seconds breather)
3. Approaching a stop (always)
4. Cornering (always)
5. Unclipping from the pedal (always)

Unless I learn very quickly these are going to cause me issues and this isn't even bringing my total lack of co-ordination into play (pedalling, braking and unclipping at the same time could be fun). :eek:

I am sure you will be fine if you concentrate to start with until it becomes second nature to keep pedaling, but never drop your guard, I had being riding fixed for a number of years and considered myself quite experienced, one day I had done about 6 mile into a vicious head wind, I turned a corner out of the wind and relaxed, the bike threw me straight off, a bust finger, road rash & damaged ego plus a very steady ride home, so just stay aware.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I am sure you will be fine if you concentrate to start with until it becomes second nature to keep pedaling, but never drop your guard, I had being riding fixed for a number of years and considered myself quite experienced, one day I had done about 6 mile into a vicious head wind, I turned a corner out of the wind and relaxed, the bike threw me straight off, a bust finger, road rash & damaged ego plus a very steady ride home, so just stay aware.
:eek::eek::eek:

rb58

Enigma
"Pedal, pedal, pedal". Just keep running that over in your head when you first start and you'll be fine. It's really not that hard, after all, I can do it. On the up side, it will make you a better cyclist in many ways - not just leg strength, cadence etc. (not that you need to improve your leg strength), but in anticipating traffic, junctions. other cyclists etc. primarily because you'll be trying to avoid stop/start rides. After a couple of rides, you'll be wondering why you were so concerned. Oddly, the thing I found hardest to adapt to was getting clipped in whilst the pedals were going round.

I'm guessing the bike hasn't arrived yet?

Top Bottom