Some of Buckinghamshire is flat - 29th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabregas485

Today was great. It was nice to finally meet people, as its hard to form a image of someone :P

On the way home, we did end up missing the left turn as we did not see the windmill, but the use of the map and a phone to get our location and we were good to go.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Mixed day for me fantastic company,fantastic route,fantastic food. However on the return to Berkhampstead my bottom bracket decided to let me know it needs to be replaced the most horrific clicking clanking and grinding noise ensued which forced @Trickedem to abandon me in disgust :laugh:. Thanks for your help Tim hope you made your train in time for your show. I limped into Tring station as I didn't fancy my chances of making it to Berkhampstead. Many thanks for organising the ride @CharlieB and what a fantastic little pub that was aswell stunning food to match a stunning view.

fabregas485

Mixed day for me fantastic company,fantastic route,fantastic food. However on the return to Berkhampstead my bottom bracket decided to let me know it needs to be replaced the most horrific clicking clanking and grinding noise ensued which forced @Trickedem to abandon me in disgust :laugh:. Thanks for your help Tim hope you made your train in time for your show. I limped into Tring station as I didn't fancy my chances of making it to Berkhampstead. Many thanks for organising the ride @CharlieB and what a fantastic little pub that was aswell stunning food to match a stunning view.
I found out my gears are not as perfectly tuned as I would have hoped. :sad:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I only rode as far as the pub, a nice route Charlie. I often ride out that way but there was a few parts that were new to me, I'll be riding those parts again. After a quick drink @toptom & myself rode back through the Waddesdon Estate then onto Stone, Stoke Mandeville, a quick coffee at a favourite stop near Tring, up Ivinghoe Beacon then home to Hemel. I was greeted by the aroma of a roast beef dinner cooking which is the best way to be welcomed home after a bike ride. 71 miles for me, that was a good day on the bike.

Snail Bait

Yes, thank you Charlie. That was a really lovely day. The crackling on the roast pork was the business and your arrangements with the weather gods were perfect. Just over 63 miles for me and I'll try not to leave it another month til my next ride. Cate

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A great day out. Thanks all, and especially Charlie. Clockwork organisation, especially the weather. Beautiful surroundings. And we found the flat bit - it was just outside the cafe in Wendover woods.

On the train, I found that at some time in the ride my rear wheel had become displaced and the tyre was rubbing the chainstay (horizontal dropouts, not done up the QR tight enough, my fault). So I was riding with a brake on in the latter part of the ride. That's my excuse, anyway. :tongue:

Here's a GPX of the ride. Switch the map to "world relief map" for an interesting view.

I've got a new camera that takes panoramas. And when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail: so I took some panoramas. Here's one

Last edited:
I am so jealous:thumbsup:

fabregas485

Thinking back, I think either my front or rear wheel is a little loose as it was not handling too well around the corners, but it was much better on the way back.

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
That capped three cracking rides for me in the space of three days.
The rides are always made by the people, not by any individual, we we had a great bunch yesterday.
Thanks to everyone who turned out (a couple from quite a distance) and especially to all the waymarkers and the Fridays' two regular TECs par excellence, Flying Dodo and Davy Walnuts.

…we did not see the windmill…
Ah yes, the Cholesbury windmill. It was one included on FD's Tilting at Windmills ride a few months back.
I ride past that almost every weekend, and for the past couple of months it's been covered in scaffolding for refurbishment. Having missed my regular ride up there the past two weekends, what I didn't know was that the sails have now been removed and the graceful ogee-curved and leaded cap has been replaced by a nondescript square wooden box (for want of a better description). So no wonder it wasn't easy to spot any more.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I discovered an interesting philosopical problem on the ride. I will call it "The Waymarker's Dilemma".

If a rider doesn't notice the waymarker, fails to turn, doesn't hear you, and carries straight on - what does the Waymarker do? Chase the rider and hope turn everyone around coming back up the road after the catch? Wait for the next rider to arrive, and either dispatch them on the chase, or ask them to waymark while you chase? Or just be Mr Spock, blather on about the "needs of the many" and leave the errant rider to their fate?

I chose option two - wait for the next rider, ask them to take over, and chase.

The real lesson learned was: while waymarking, don't lurk in the shadows, and the problem won't arise.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
That was a great ride, so thank you CharlieB and everyone else new and, not so old, it was a pleasure.

And didnt CharlieB do good!! Thank you. It was well needed and served me perfectly, most enjoyable.

And, am still grinning about that fast decent. 47.7mph.. Any higher offers?

Top Bottom