Some pedals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThinAir

Do more.
So artery foray into road riding, I'm looking at buying a mountain bike as well now, so that I can take part in this as well. This is particularly something that I am looking to do with my little sister, and whilst I will be taking this seriously, I probably won't be spending as much money on this area for cycling as I do on the roads.

However, I am going to be buying a Fuji Nevada 1.5 D 2013 (29"re)…

It comes supplied with more bog standard plastic pedals, but what is the script with MTB pedals? I know about clip less for my roadie, but what's the preferred method in the mountain bike community?

I know ultimately it's what I am comfortable with, but what is out there? What should I be looking for?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Whatever takes your fancy. I use M520's with no issues as a relative noob to MTBing.

28our.jpg

Tango

There is no right answer I'm afraid

The opinions vary dramatically depending on what your pedal of choice happens to be.

I use M520 on my roadie, yep a strange thought I'm sure, but mtb shoes look ore comfy for walking in and I ave M520 left in the shed from when I used the on the mtb.

Personally for mtb I prefer flat pedals, eg DMR V8 , V12 or Vaults.

This suits me better on more slower technical stuff, but really it's personal preference with the important factor being just to get out and enjoy pedalling :smile:

OP
OP
ThinAir

ThinAir

Do more.
There is no right answer I'm afraid

The opinions vary dramatically depending on what your pedal of choice happens to be.

I use M520 on my roadie, yep a strange thought I'm sure, but mtb shoes look ore comfy for walking in and I ave M520 left in the shed from when I used the on the mtb.

Personally for mtb I prefer flat pedals, eg DMR V8 , V12 or Vaults.

This suits me better on more slower technical stuff, but really it's personal preference with the important factor being just to get out and enjoy pedalling :smile:

Sweet dude, think I will stick with whatever comes with it to begin with and then see how I progress from there.

Must admit the thought of being clipped in on a MTB, leaves me feeling a little trepidation, sounds like a damn good way to get hurt, and quickly!

Liking the look of the v12's though, the vaults on the other hand are a tad out of my price range!

Tango

I have tried all three DMRs and have been delighted with all of them

The main reason I stopped using the M520s was because I was holidaying in France and didn't want to put 'special' shoes on every time I needed to pedal round the campsite.

Now I can't imagine going back to them from flats :smile:

I hear guys are happy with Superstar Nanotech pedals too

Tango

Lol, another mine field

I use 510 Impact Lows, but again within reason anything will do. But the tester quality the pedal shoe combo the more confident you will feel

If you are using a flat pedal, you need flat soled shoes with plenty of contact area for the pins to 'dig' into

If you wear rugged soled shoes the pins may go into the gaps and not provide the grip you would require

But as I said earlier, getting out and riding and having a smile on your face is the number one priority :smile:

lukesdad

A right, So it's cool to be clipped in.. Wasn't sure if it was advisable on a lunatic bike...n show me heading to my LBS :-)
Not a question of 'cool' the advantages of being clipped in off road are the same as on the road plus some, my choice Time Atac

I've been using DMR V12 for the past few years. I've dabbled with Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and may try them again some time.
As far as the feet goes, I've been wearing Specialized Rockhopper shoes for 12 years. They do last that long! They work nicely as flats, and have the necessaries for cleats if I want to get the Eggbeaters out again. Not sure what the present day equivalent is though.

I see way more mtbers with spds than flats.

Unless I drop by the jump zone where all bikes have flats.

It's a personal thing based on riding style.

For me, XTR spds on roadie and mtbs.

Tango

As you can see ThinAir, opinions vary greatly

It is very much a personal choice thing.

Lukesdad sees big advantage in being clipped in which will be true for him personally, in the same way I prefer to use flats and see no advantage what so ever for spd personally.

There is an often believed thought process that being clipped in is more efficient because you can 'pull up' with the pedals and again some think this to be true and some don't (I'm the later)

There has been details on another forum a while back of an American study that shows that the vast majority of the strength in the leg is for pushing down, I.e. lifting heavy things or running and the muscles that do the up stroke work when using SPD, were only ever meant to lift the weight of the leg to get it ready for the next push down, for running or lifting etc

http://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/bike-fitting-the-myth-of-the-upstroke.html

If I am honest, I could happily ride almost any trail I have ever been on clipped in or flats.

Where I would HAVE to wear flats would be on black sections where there are large rocks and i have to ride very slow where balance is more important than speed, other than that either would do and therefore it comes down to personal preference

Good luck, you are right in the middle of some fine access to mountain bike trails :smile:

Summerking

Veteran
I have always preferred flat pedals for my mountain biking the need to dab a foot down arises more often than I care to admit, and use flat shoes specific to mountain biking, 'Five Ten' make great flat specific shoes.

Top Bottom