Some pedals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
^^^ Whereas to reverse that idea, you have to unclip and clip back in so often on a ride that it literally becomes second nature. I use XT trail M785 pedals off road. I also have a pair of flat pedals (superstar Nano Thru Pins) and a pair of Five Ten Freeride shoes to go with them, and tend to use these for playing and skillz building...... but not much now that we are in the middle of lovely trail riding weather!

Tango

^^^^^^^ but as you quite rightly say, in a skills area you would use flats, which would suggest, that no tater how second nature un clipping is, it's still quicker to part company with flats.

I have seen a number of guys over the years on slower more technical stuff fall off the big because they were 'attached' to the pedals, but most likely would have been ok clipped in.

Like I said earlier, for the most part, 99% of my riding would be ok clipped in, but being clipped in doesn't offer me any advantages over flats.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I meant jumpy stuff really, and stuff like practising trackstands, which I still can't do, and wheelies, which last about half a turn of the pedals.... and yes, if there's a chance of falling off or over I think flats are best. On technical stuff though I much prefer being "in touch with" the bike. I used to ride with DX style pedals, with a big surround so I could dab and get back onto the pedals, and occasionally unclipped for scary rocky descents, but I eventually realised that I didn't feel anywhere near secure enough if my feet could be bounced off the pedals by rockstrikes etc. My other personal advantage is ruts and so on, especially on tech climbs, where occasionally you won't get the pedals to do a full revolution. Clipped in you can toe tap AND pull up as a get out of jail trick.

What we mustn't do is give people, especially novices, the idea that riding clipless means you are going to fall off more, otherwise it would be counterintuitive to use SPDs on anything other than an absolutely smooth surface. We never seem to mention that the main disadvantage of flat pedals is the increased likelihood of shin rippage from pins, and general shin damage through losing the pedals in rough stuff.

SO, if you are starting out on a MTB, my personal recommendation would be to get some decent SPDs (please don't get M520s, there are better pedals available for not much more money....) and ride progressively rougher and gnarlier trails in them until you gain complete confidence. It'll seem hard work at first, but persevere and hone your technique, until unclipping and -more difficult on rough stuff- clipping back in is a piece of cake.

Tango

With you on track stands Cubist (unfortunately :smile: )

Can't say that I ever felt like my feet were going tome off the pedals using 510 impact low and DMRs

I must say if I felt like that, fast rocky descents like gatescarth pass in the Lake District would definitely need spds, but fortunately the shoe pedal combo I use seems great.

I think ALL riders should experience both and then decide

I have friends that swear by both and each one insist that the type of pedal they use is best.

For me it's horses for courses, I have just never been in a situation where spd offered me personally any advantage over flats

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The only time I've regretted wearing spds on an mtb was...

in the Austrian Alps, on a piece of rocky bumpy narrow singletrack, that we in the UK would call a footpath, which ran across, and down, the face of a cliff half way down a mountain. After riding a bit on tip toe to avoid getting clipped in, I managed to find a bit wide enough to get off and walk but I had to shoulder the bike as no room to push it.

and in a certain place in Wales.

OP
OP
ThinAir

ThinAir

Do more.
Cheers for all the advice guys....

Just thought I'd inform that I've changed the bike I am getting, and will now be (in about a week), the proud owner of a Felt Nine 60 :-)

image.jpg

Dave W

I'm in the spd camp and have been for years. Tried flats the other day and it was horrible.

Try both, use what you like.

Tango

Wise words

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I use some shimano SPD pedals on my mountain bike. Have used SPD-SL in the past and it was possible as long as you didn't put your foot down in mud!

Personally I like to have my feet attached to the pedals and as I've been using some form of clipless for the past 8 years, it's second nature to unclip when you need to.
Never had a problem with using clipless pedals off road but have cut my self plenty of times using flats.

lulubel

Über Member

Totally agree. My partner uses SPDs, loves them, wouldn't want to use anything else.

I use flats, love them, wouldn't want to use anything else.

It's just down to which you, personally, prefer, and you won't know that until you've tried both.

Tango

The arguement is easy, speed. Flats = slow, spds = fast.

Which is as helpful as saying red cars = fast , blue cars = slow

I had hoped for a reasoned argument explaining why.

Hey ho, I guess I may ever find out

Anyone else have a useful suggestion to help me clear up the matter if why spds are better than flats

I am more than happy to accept that they are for some, I am just interested as to why because for me they are not

Top Bottom