Some pedals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tango

I can honestly say that as many flat and SPD users over take me up hill and the same down the orher side, I have only ever found fitness a barrier to climbing and balls and skill a barrier to descending.

I haven't come across a single person who was advantaged with either pedal type

Which is as helpful as saying red cars = fast , blue cars = slow

I had hoped for a reasoned argument explaining why.

Hey ho, I guess I may ever find out

Anyone else have a useful suggestion to help me clear up the matter if why spds are better than flats

I am more than happy to accept that they are for some, I am just interested as to why because for me they are not
Hang on, let me find a single successful pro or cat 1 xc rider who rides with flats. Oh yes, there are none. Same for roadie and track. Even some the successful downhillers and bmxers ride spds.

Yes you can fast on flats, you'll go faster with spds.

I use DMR V8 pedals on my MTB. Not expensive, well made and have removable "studs" which grip the sole of most shoes. I like being able to get a foot down quickly if I have temporarily lost momentum or control, and these pedals allow you to do it.

The only thing is that the studs will draw blood from your shins if you clout a pedal (unless you wear shin guards, but I don't do the sort of extreme riding that normally goes with body armour), but other than that I wouldn't change them at all......

Tango

Yes you can fast on flats, you'll go faster with spds.

Examples are not arguments

I would like to hear a detailed argument in favour of spds.

I accept that top riders use them, it's just that having tried both I see no advantage in spds, but do see advantage in flats when it gets real techy on the trails

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just one is better than the other for me. Would be nice to hear a counter argument

Examples are not arguments

I would like to hear a detailed argument in favour of spds.

I accept that top riders use them, it's just that having tried both I see no advantage in spds, but do see advantage in flats when it gets real techy on the trails

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just one is better than the other for me. Would be nice to hear a counter argument

If you already ride exactly how you want to ride then there are no reasons to switch pedals.

I like to race and to give me sporting chance I ride spds. It is a lot easier to consistently produce high rpm wattage with feet attached in the optimum position on the pedals.

lukesdad

This is all really a non starter and rather like a helmet debate. No one needs to justify their choice. I'm not quite sure what you want Tango ? You've made your choice are you trying to justify it to yourself or others ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
If you want more pros, then how about quicker easier hops, rear wheel lifts.
How about being able to rag your bike back into line as you're attached to it. How about being able to put pressure in any direction into the pedals without fear of slipping off?

Without wanting to sound elitist, you don't need spds to ride a towpath or spin round a park. If you ride red and black routes then there will be some advantages. If you go out seeking technical challenging organic routes, then being clipped in has the advantages listed above.
Not all of those will make sense to a novice or a towpath mtber, and in fact those that say they feel the need to get a foot down quickly are possibly not yet at the stage where spds would help much, as they yet need to learn to shralp the gnarrr.

using spds is intimidating for some off road. I'm not that keen on flats, but if I do use them its with big pins and very sticky five- tens so my feet feel locked on.

Dave W

For me it's simple, when I use SPD's my feet are locked in and there's no danger of them bouncing off the pedals. It means I use less energy just pedalling and staying on the bike.

I know people say that this can be achieved with pins and sticky shoes but I've tried it and it's not the same.

Far from making me nervous I'm far more confident when clipped in and overall for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

lulubel

Über Member
How about being able to rag your bike back into line as you're attached to it. How about being able to put pressure in any direction into the pedals without fear of slipping off?

Without wanting to sound elitist, you don't need spds to ride a towpath or spin round a park. If you ride red and black routes then there will be some advantages. If you go out seeking technical challenging organic routes, then being clipped in has the advantages listed above.

And there's the reason why I prefer flats over clipless. That all sounds like way too much thinking for me. ^_^

I don't cycle to think. I cycle to give my brain a rest, and let my body do the work for a change. If I come across nasty technical stuff, I put a foot down, usually closely followed by the other foot.

OK, so there's a little bit of exaggeration going on there, but where you ride and what you wear on your feet really does come down to what you're more comfortable with, and not what anyone else thinks. This discussion will probably go round and round in circles until everyone gets bored.

OP
OP
ThinAir

ThinAir

Do more.
Wow...generating a lot of controversy.

I think so far, I have decided I a, going to keep the pedals that comes with the bike to begin with and see how I get on with them and then borrow a spare pair of SPDS from somewhere and see how's cope with/like them before settling on buying something a little more expensive in either flat/SPD.

So now I am reading about red runs and black runs etc... Where is a good place to find out about different tracks/trails etc?

I'm not massively familiar with the area surrounding the area which I live in! Silly I know. But I have very little time to explore!

Cubist

Still wavin'
You have, on your doorstep some of the most wonderful MTBing in the world. It's even better if you step sideways over the big hill into God's own county. ^_^

What sort of riding do you want to do? There are two great little trail centres in Manchester, Philips Park at Prestwich and Clayton Vale opposite the Etihad stadium. Other than that there are all-day epics and cheeky half-hours in the Peaks; Calderdale, the spiritual home of mountainbiking, and Cleckhuddersfax a few minutes' drive away. North Wales and some really magnificent trail centres and natural slate bed rockfests a scant hour along the M56.

Get a map, or a subscription to the Ordnance Survey (discounted this weekend I believe, and go in via the forum members' benefits page) or browse via Bing mapping leisure map layers and seek out bridleways and cheeky paths.

Google the name of your nearest settlement and "MTB" and see what comes up.... loads and loads of routes and suggestions. Or post on here what sort of riding you want to do and well see what we can help with.

OP
OP
ThinAir

ThinAir

Do more.
You have, on your doorstep some of the most wonderful MTBing in the world. It's even better if you step sideways over the big hill into God's own county. ^_^
Google the name of your nearest settlement and "MTB" and see what comes up.... loads and loads of routes and suggestions. Or post on here what sort of riding you want to do and well see what we can help with.

Great answer, cheers, Cubist!

Don't get me wrong i don't want people to do all the work for me, but certainly need some pointers...all suggestions welcome!

For example, I didn't know about the centre in Prestwich, which is probably about a ten minute drive from my house!

As for the kind of riding, I want to start with something none too taxing and then build up to things which are much more challenging with some challenging climbs n some awesome descents!

I also love being out in the middle of nowhere, in forests, woods, up hills etc.

Back home in Derbyshire I know where a lot of this is, but up here.... CLUELESS! Love the idea of north Wales though, good shout!

Cheers :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Wow...generating a lot of controversy.

So now I am reading about red runs and black runs etc... Where is a good place to find out about different tracks/trails etc?

Trail centres are graded according to technical challenge you are likely to face on them. Even then they vary according to trail centres and who graded them. For example, the "Red" Kitchener trail at Sherwood Pines would be a light blue in Southwest Scotland. However, generally speaking a novice should be able to get round most blue routes without coming to grief. If you can, and want to up the challenge, then ride a red, but remember that you are allowed to get off and push if it's too intimidating or you need a breather!!!!!

Black routes vary too. I struggle with some black features, and am not brave enough for others, so tend to enjoy really flowy red routes with some jumps and rock gardens. Have a look on Youtube for some example videos..... there are plenty of weekend heroes with helmet cams to show you what the trails look like. Be aware some make it look very easy though!

Top Bottom