Some people need their eyes tested ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
beanzontoast said:
OTOH, I often find that when I'm interested in an item that says PayPal (and mentions no other form of payment), if I ask the seller whether they'll accept payment by cheque, they reply that they will. Me being a luddite, I don't use PayPal, so this suits me. Only once has a seller said they wouldn't accept a personal cheque - which effectively lost them the sale, but that's by the by.

IMHO, it would be better all round if sellers listed at the outset all the means of payment they are prepared to accept.

And those they won't :laugh:.

Ice cream vendor : "Sorry, I'm out of pistacchio!"
Stan Laurel : "What other flavours haven't you got?"

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Using Ebay regularly as I have in the past, you would be surprised (or maybe not) at the amount of really REALLY bad descriptions you get for things.

People just do not seem to have any concept of the fact that OTHER PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS YOU ARE SELLING!!

I refer to my days collecting aircraft models when one would be looking for a particular aircraft registration.

'Hogan 1:200 Brittish Airways Concorde (current livery)'

IS NOT ENOUGH YOU RETARD!!

I KNOW what is it, but WHAT ONE is it?? is it G - BOAA?? G - BOAB?? G - BOAC .... etc etc. :laugh::rofl:

The thing that often made it worse was that you could see that they had done it in their other listings, so they clearly KNEW what they were doing!!
(there were a few sellers, normally in Hong Kong I have to add, who were TERRIBLE at it, and this was their business, their livelyhood, and they STILL couldn't get it right!!).

GUESS WHAT? YOU HAVE JUST LOST A SALE, I'M NOT PSYCHIC!!

....The crap pictures don't help either!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
beanzontoast said:
OTOH, I often find that when I'm interested in an item that says PayPal (and mentions no other form of payment), if I ask the seller whether they'll accept payment by cheque, they reply that they will. Me being a luddite, I don't use PayPal, so this suits me. Only once has a seller said they wouldn't accept a personal cheque - which effectively lost them the sale, but that's by the by.

IMHO, it would be better all round if sellers listed at the outset all the means of payment they are prepared to accept.

I use almost nothing BUT paypal as it's about a million times easier than posting a cheque in the post.

If I sell something, I will list paypal, but if a buyer wants to pay by other means, I will tell them to contact me in the listing also (as well as to arrange postage for overseas customers).

If they STILL don't like this, then fcuk 'em!! - this is the 21st century, not the 19th!

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
andrew-the-tortoise said:
I always get asked 'DO YOU HAVE A BUY IT NOW PRICE' .....

Yeah, I get asked that too! I also get asked if I can "do a deal" at some ridiculously low price ... and I'm tempted to reply, "Oh yes, just for you, because you're that special!!" What I actually do is politely decline their generous offer. :rofl:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One thing that annoys me is on one of the other forums I am on.

People buy and sell models on it, and lists of what is available are posted up. Fine.

But then you get the people asking

'Oh do you have such and such a model'

which isn't on the list.

NO, IF IT WASN'T ON THE LIST I DO NOT HAVE IT TO SELL, SIMPLE!!

It never ceases to amaze me how many people enquire about non - existent models, just because you are selling a few other completely unrelated ones!!

I don't quite know what people expect you to be able to magic out of thin air for them!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People are so busy these days that that either don't have the time, energy or attention span to read much.

I send an email to my family or friends. The last paragraph might be "I'll be arriving on Tuesday by train at 4:15 pm." I'll get a call from them asking me if I'm coming by train and what time I'll be arriving! They have read other parts of the email.

When I organise CC forum rides I say what time we'll be starting, give a map of the car park where we meet, a map of where we are going etc. Somebody will then ask where we are meeting and what time and by the way - what's the route? I'll answer that and then someone will ask the same question again 30 minutes later!

Some people are even like that in conversations. I met an old friend who I'd not seen for years. He asked how I was and I told him that things had been stressful because my father had terminally ill, then he'd died. We'd had the funeral a few weeks before. Next question - "So, how are your mum and dad?"

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I love the eBay sellers that put up a single, terribly-blurred photo of the item which is so bad that you can't even make out what it's a picture of. They compound the situation with no description. All you have to go on is the title of their auction.

And yet people still bid!!!

Or someone who puts a 'Buy it now!" price of £198.00 on an item which is extremely common and which is surrounded by other sellers selling the same thing for under a fiver. Of course, their one is 'extremely rare' despite the evidence that's right there around them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
goo_mason said:
I love the eBay sellers that put up a single, terribly-blurred photo of the item which is so bad that you can't even make out what it's a picture of. They compound the situation with no description. All you have to go on is the title of their auction.

And yet people still bid!!!

To be fair, if it's dirt cheap and it's something you are wanting (well from the description anyway), then you probably don't have much to loose. Anything over about £10 though and forget it!:smile:

Or someone who puts a 'Buy it now!" price of £198.00 on an item which is extremely common and which is surrounded by other sellers selling the same thing for under a fiver. Of course, their one is 'extremely rare' despite the evidence that's right there around them.

Oh yes, the whole

'Very rare'

thing. I hate it personally because most of the time if you know enough about the type of item, you can see immediately that the seller is just taking the pish and is waiting to catch a newbie who doesn't know any better :biggrin:

Top Bottom