Some reassurance needed before switching cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sorry for not replying sooner. 54 inner links, 53 outer links and one Missing Link should work. The cage looks a bit far forward on 50/30 but that's because you're pushing the "tooth rules".

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Just checked mine, b limit screw is all the way out and my derailleur is at a slightly less extreme angle than yours in big big.

Ive just checked chain length on big/big (50/30) and it seems ok - pic is without the missing link and chain is run just over the cogs, not the RD.

Photo 24-03-2015 19 53 34.jpg

The RD is still within limits according to websites - I still have a small s shape going on, there is bend on the chain going thru the pulleys.

If I turn the B screw out, its going to move the RD further in though?

Its very strange.

Ive just checked chain length on big/big (50/30) and it seems ok - pic is without the missing link and chain is run just over the cogs, not the RD.

View attachment 83619

The RD is still within limits according to websites - I still have a small s shape going on, there is bend on the chain going thru the pulleys.

If I turn the B screw out, its going to move the RD further in though?

Its very strange.

At first i thought that was happening quite regularly and was going to suggest checking the jockey wheels but towards the end it seemed to be happening less frequently so i'm going to guess at new chain slightly stiff links and riding it will solve it.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
At first i thought that was happening quite regularly and was going to suggest checking the jockey wheels but towards the end it seemed to be happening less frequently so i'm going to guess at new chain slightly stiff links and riding it will solve it.

Nah it was still happening fairly consistently, just I was going slower so the jump was smaller / quieter.

Going to get it on the back of the car tomorrow afternoon after work and pop it down to a bike mechanic.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to check (or get checked) the hanger alignment, it looks like the cog next to it is trying to 'pick up' the chain, adjusting the limit stops a tiny bit may cure it though.
EDIT- If you are taking it to a mechanic get him to check the alignment. :becool:

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I'd be tempted to check (or get checked) the hanger alignment, it looks like the cog next to it is trying to 'pick up' the chain, adjusting the limit stops a tiny bit may cure it though.
EDIT- If you are taking it to a mechanic get him to check the alignment. :becool:

Yesterday was a very good day.

Finished my early shift and gave Mike (a retired gentleman who works on bikes) a ring. After a little chat he told me to bring it down.

Once up on his stand, he made a couple of adjustments to the H screw on the RD, and voila! No more chain skipping on the 12T! Seems you were spot on @raleighnut.

It was a little puzzling as I'd made similar adjustments with absolutely zero change, so had reset the H and L screws to their previous position.

Anyway we also found the chain was still not quite shifting right, and no matter what barrel adjustment Mike made couldn't get it working perfect both ways - it either skipped gaining up the cassette or coming down.

So Mike contacted a LBS round the corner as he knew the mechanic and the guy told me to bring it round.

So after popping £5 into Mikes charity box (as he didn't want any payment for his help) I whizzed round to the LBS where the bike was inspected. Found the RD was slightly bent, which I reckon was from my fall on the tramlines late last year, so dismantled that, got it back into perfect shape, greased the cable near the RD and made a couple of other adjustments and voila! A perfect shifting drivetrain.

The mechanic didn't even want any payment so I plan to use them for the full service I will do in a few months time.

On top of that, I got an email from the German website I used to buy the expensive LS950 front light 2 years ago (which went wonky on my last ride) to say they have repaired it and are returning it to me. Quite surprised as it's been a good 2 years since I purchased it.

Felt like putting some cash down on the lottery after all that.

Yay!

Yesterday was a very good day.

Finished my early shift and gave Mike (a retired gentleman who works on bikes) a ring. After a little chat he told me to bring it down.

Once up on his stand, he made a couple of adjustments to the H screw on the RD, and voila! No more chain skipping on the 12T! Seems you were spot on @raleighnut.

It was a little puzzling as I'd made similar adjustments with absolutely zero change, so had reset the H and L screws to their previous position.

Anyway we also found the chain was still not quite shifting right, and no matter what barrel adjustment Mike made couldn't get it working perfect both ways - it either skipped gaining up the cassette or coming down.

So Mike contacted a LBS round the corner as he knew the mechanic and the guy told me to bring it round.

So after popping £5 into Mikes charity box (as he didn't want any payment for his help) I whizzed round to the LBS where the bike was inspected. Found the RD was slightly bent, which I reckon was from my fall on the tramlines late last year, so dismantled that, got it back into perfect shape, greased the cable near the RD and made a couple of other adjustments and voila! A perfect shifting drivetrain.

The mechanic didn't even want any payment so I plan to use them for the full service I will do in a few months time.

On top of that, I got an email from the German website I used to buy the expensive LS950 front light 2 years ago (which went wonky on my last ride) to say they have repaired it and are returning it to me. Quite surprised as it's been a good 2 years since I purchased it.

Felt like putting some cash down on the lottery after all that.

Yay!
Good work bro, which LBS was it?

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Strange. When I went out for my first ride I had real issues shifting. It wouldn't shift into the largest cog at the rear at all, and from the smallest to 2nd cog it would be very temperamental. It seemed to be sorted in the shop!

Just got it into the bike stand, and cant shift it at all into the largest two, or smallest cog.

Have got a new chain, now need to find the best way of sizing it properly for this new cassette. Hope this will help.

uclown2002

Guru
Strange. When I went out for my first ride I had real issues shifting. It wouldn't shift into the largest cog at the rear at all, and from the smallest to 2nd cog it would be very temperamental. It seemed to be sorted in the shop!

Just got it into the bike stand, and cant shift it at all into the largest two, or smallest cog.

Have got a new chain, now need to find the best way of sizing it properly for this new cassette. Hope this will help.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

Top Bottom