Some thoughts / advice on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
I'm not a particular advocate for disc brakes on a road tourer for short tours (different matter for long expeditions or where the rims are likely to frequently get covered in muck). I wouldn't go out of my way or pay extra for a road bike with discs, but all other things being equal, it really is a question of six of one half a dozen of the other.

If you take the bike on a train or a plane you take the disc rotors off - it takes all of five minutes.

The chances of getting a rotor bent are probably less than getting a wheel rim seriously out of true. And a bent rotor can be straightened with an adjustable spanner.

As far as handlebars are concerned, people travel round the world on bikes with flat bars. So again it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. It really is a matter of personal preference - although bar ends (or even butterfly bars) are a good idea to give a greater variety of positions.

I really wouldn't stress too much about things like disc brakes or drop bars.

Personally my ranking would go something like:

- the Dawes (if Spa have them in your size);
- the Trek;
- the Revolution Country Explorer.

PS I think Raleigh do a budget tourer but I don't know the details. Someone else might do.

OP
OP
C

crazyclimber

Grand job, the six of one and half a dozen of the other bit was exactly the conclusion I was coming to too. Hell if people can do LEJOG on a penny farthing I guess disc brakes vs. rim and different shaped handlebars aren't too important as long as they do the job!
Big thanks to everyone who's contributed, I'll let you know how I get on. I plan on staying on here anyway and continuing to read up on the other threads; so much to learn! Cheers!

Top Bottom