Someone give me a kick up the backside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Enough of the 'kick up the arse' talk! Berating yourself only sets up a further barrier to getting them done.

I used to spend days just thinking about what I wanted to write, it was my essay plan. I didn't tell myself off for not actually writing it down, and I could pick up leave the thinking at any time. It made it less of a task. I also found it used to get me quite keen on the actual reading and writing task.... but then I did genuinely enjoy the subject.

By the time I got to the library (my prefered place to write my draft), my essay was pretty much structured in my head. My reading was then targeted to what I wanted to write though it might also trigger a little side shoot. For the most part though, I stuck to my mental plan... it saved panics. My essays were never the most authoritative nor broad but they were well structured and coherent. More importantly, they were written in a day and relatively stress free.

But I do reckon the redefinition of 'kick up the arse' to 'thinking time' was an essential part of it, and genuinely productive too.

surfgurl

Don't do what I did with my dissertation for my Masters.
I sat at the computer finishing off all the little bits that had to be done. That took a good many hours with only breaks for eating at my desk and some sleep. In my befuddled haze I reasoned that yes of course I could drive from Somerset to Milton Keynes on the morning of the hand in day having stayed up all night finishing it. I finished the contents page, printing and binding by 9am, jumped in the car and drove across country. I handed it in at 2.40pm on the day with the deadline of 4pm. It was a close call and printing problems or bad traffic could have messed it up.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm in a similar position. I have to write 15,000 of the correct words in a sensible order by the end of May at the latest for my MSc thesis. That is about 1000 researched words a week plus appendixes. Then it is proof reading, printing and binding.
I also have my PGCE to study for on top of that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'll kick you up the arse, Louise, if you'll do the same for me...

(Results chapter to be in to supervisor on Monday)...

OP
OP
louise

louise

Yes that fine one kick up the arse heading Archs way. I am getting there despite roadworks outside my flat. Spent 3 hours working on it then my laptop crashed. I wept. Luckily as I was to discover most of it was saved through aouto recover

I wrote my entire M.Sc project (mineral magnetics analysis of a peat core from the Loch Ness catchment, since you don't ask) in two weeks flat, start to finish. I still managed to get a B for it (as far as I remember, it's a long time ago now). I have to say that it's been largely irrelevant to my chosen career as a lorry driver.;)

HelenD123

Legendary Member
louise said:
Yes that fine one kick up the arse heading Archs way. I am getting there despite roadworks outside my flat. Spent 3 hours working on it then my laptop crashed. I wept. Luckily as I was to discover most of it was saved through aouto recover

Why does that always happen when you least need it?! My PC died when I'd taken a week of work to finish a load of coursework:wacko:.

Just keep going Louise and you'll get the work done. And don't log on here too often and get distracted!

Will1985

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I have to say that it's been largely irrelevant to my chosen career as a lorry driver.xx(
Ahh but you're not an unemployed MSc graduate - the news this morning sounds bad for people coming out of higher education in the next year :tongue:. I'll just have to get on my bike instead...

OP
OP
louise

louise

Making slow but steady progress going to e mail it on Friday rather than positing it (still has to be posted at the same time)

OP
OP
louise

louise

Essay 1 pretty much complete onto essay 2 I suspect it may be a late night in my house

OP
OP
louise

louise

Thanks for all your kicking I got them both handed in a 3pm this afternoon now just have to send a signed copy to the university confirming that its my work

yello

Well done Louise! Now go out and enjoy your yourself as only you know how!! There's no greater pleasure than a weight off the mind and, in my case, a pint!

Top Bottom