Somerset Barn Find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User42423

I bought this off Ebay, from a young farmer based in Somerset. When I asked him about it's history, he told me it had belonged to his ex-girlfriends antiques dealer father. Apparently he couldn't sell it, so simply left it in the barn. That was back in 1990.
002.jpg
006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I remember those as one of those "the future of cycling" ideas that sank (almost) without trace. Apparently it combines the attributes of both weight and flexibility.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Such a strange machine....its almost as though the design brief was cover up all the parts of a bicycle that define the object as a bicycle !

woodbutcher

Veteran
So not a Bicycle Shaped Object.
You have put your finger on it, "Bicycle Shaped" .. in the same way that "Fish Finger" contains fish .:rolleyes:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They come up on e bay occasionally. They are not as rare as you would expect. I am not surprised the other guy couldn't sell it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I had a ride on one of those in 1981.
I was selling stuff into the cycle trade at the time and one of my customers (Stechford Cycles in Birmingham) had one.
He was saying how awful they were to ride and nagged me into having a go.
He was right.

You truly are @User42423 to splash cash on that monstrosity !

I guess it is an intriguing part of history though. No way would l get on that on the road today though.
Yes it's a very important footnote in the history of the bicycle, and we'll be thanking User42423 in a few years for archiving such gems.
And no, I wouldn't ride it either :smile:

Top Bottom