Something fishy with my riding position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Finnjävel

On today's ride I noticed that my riding position is asymmetric. My right knee almost brushes the top tube, but the left one leaves about three inches of gap.
Now, that can't be good. What can I do to fix it?
My left hip is very stiff, could that be related to this somehow?

amaferanga

Veteran
If it doesn't cause any pain or discomfort then I wouldn't try to change it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I had a similar thing and thought it was due to a minor injury or tightness from a fall. I later got measured up for a new bike and learned that one of my legs was shorter than the other. I was advised to keep the saddle a little lower, adjusted for the shorter leg. Although my legs are still not perfectly aligned, I'm no longer polishing the left side of my top tube. It could be worth trying that -it's a very minor adjustment.

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my seat is straight and I use clipless pedals (spd). My left hip has a tendency to develop mobility problems and I am currently suffering from them. I was thinking that maybe this riding position is making it worse, or maybe it's just an effect of poor mobility.

I'm going to try to raise/lower the seat, but should I also try to adjust the cleat or something?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my seat is straight and I use clipless pedals (spd). My left hip has a tendency to develop mobility problems and I am currently suffering from them. I was thinking that maybe this riding position is making it worse, or maybe it's just an effect of poor mobility.

I'm going to try to raise/lower the seat, but should I also try to adjust the cleat or something?

I'd try one thing at a time.

Garz

Squat Member

As dm said, also try regular stretching of that hip before and after exercise to see if it improves the mechanical range.

Top Bottom