SON hub, front and rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
What was really frustrating that SONs fork bracket supplied with Edelux II headlight which was suitable for Brompton positions light so high that it interferes with any bag positioned in front carrier. Now I have to find a solution and order another bracket.
Schmidt do sell a bracket specific for the Brompton, It costs 3,30€: https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/accessories/
You can also use the light bracket from Brompton themselves. You Should not be surprised - when talking about the dynamo hub setup ans specifically the Edelux initially I wrote back in December:
The Edelux is easy to adjust on the Brompton (you'll obviously need a Brompton light bracket or one that fits the Brompton).

berlinonaut

Veteran
Here you see the various front light brackets:

on top a standard bracket that will conflict with a Brompton bag
second the (older) Brompton holder for Halogen lights
third the Schmidt holder for the Edelux
forth the Brompton holder for the LED lights

30375788wu.jpg

There are others available from other parties, but this is more or less the standard setup.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The Brompton front light bracket is known to fatigue and break, especially with a heavier lamp like the SON. A standard B&M "thick wire" type of bracket can be modified to fit under a front bag by putting it in a vice and introducing it to Mr Mallet. It may still break eventually, but the things are breeding in my spares box.
Some people do report this. I do not have that issue on various Bromptons over a period than up to ten years. So once more this is possibly not a "will happen" scenario but something between "may happen with bad luck some day" and "some people break everything and then fingerpoint to someone else".

ExBrit

Über Member
I

Sorry but I'm not sure I cached the meaning. Could you elaborate?
I had to do the same thing as Roger. There is slightly too much rise on some light mounts so I had to use two vice-grips and some muscle to slightly bend the arms (maybe by 10 degrees). This lowered the light by about 1/2" in my case which stopped it from rubbing on the bottom of my large Brompton bag. It took less than 5 minutes. Different mounts, lights, and bags will have this problem to a greater or lesser extent.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Yep, I have one, works fine. Only thing to be aware of is the ground connection for the rear light, but you can wire that to dynamo ground.
Many thanks. That's what I thought. Ground for rear light will not fit? Also is light holding screw standard for gopro mounts? If yes can I use longer one and connect ground outside the bracket?

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Here you see the various front light brackets:

on top a standard bracket that will conflict with a Brompton bag
second the (older) Brompton holder for Halogen lights
third the Schmidt holder for the Edelux
forth the Brompton holder for the LED lights

View attachment 625224

There are others available from other parties, but this is more or less the standard setup.

I really hope Brompton one will hold. Otherwise the only option I see is to use custom brackets from Aliexpress for gopro mount and use supernova gopro adaptor to mount the light.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I had to do the same thing as Roger. There is slightly too much rise on some light mounts so I had to use two vice-grips and some muscle to slightly bend the arms (maybe by 10 degrees). This lowered the light by about 1/2" in my case which stopped it from rubbing on the bottom of my large Brompton bag. It took less than 5 minutes. Different mounts, lights, and bags will have this problem to a greater or lesser extent.
Do you have any pictures of final result?

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Schmidt do sell a bracket specific for the Brompton, It costs 3,30€: https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/accessories/
You can also use the light bracket from Brompton themselves. You Should not be surprised - when talking about the dynamo hub setup ans specifically the Edelux initially I wrote back in December:

Link doesn't lead to a specific item but to accessories. If you meant Bracket Brompton that's what Edelux II had in the box and it doesn't work for me.

Solocle

Über Member
Many thanks. That's what I thought. Ground for rear light will not fit? Also is light holding screw standard for gopro mounts? If yes can I use longer one and connect ground outside the bracket?
I did that, but be aware that the screws are countersunk. The light can move a bit on big bumps, whereas seemed rock solid with the originals.
1641508174249.png

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

This is Bracket Brompton that comes with Edelux II.

Halter-Brompton.jpg

Why is because I assume it's designed to keep the light high enough so reflector will fit under then light. Which makes it contact the bag when attached to front carrier block.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I did that, but be aware that the screws are countersunk. The light can move a bit on big bumps, whereas seemed rock solid with the originals.
View attachment 625279
Do you mean that light remains loose in supernova gopro adaptor which is why it moves on bumps? If that's the case then I assume Edelux bracket is much thinner than bracket, but then would adding washers in between help have a tighter fit?

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

This is the bracket that came with Edelux II. I'm not sure I can just bend the part which is closer to the light due to it's design. It's also already very close to the breake calipers so I'll probably have to bend it somewhere here:

Screenshot_20220107-051632_Gallery.jpg

And I don't think it's possible without cutting reinforcing sides first so it would actually bend at that place.

Solocle

Über Member
Do you mean that light remains loose in supernova gopro adaptor which is why it moves on bumps? If that's the case then I assume Edelux bracket is much thinner than bracket, but then would adding washers in between help have a tighter fit?
No, it's a tight fit, I couldn't get the washer for the rear light ground connection on the inside of the mount. So I had to use other screws, but then there's not a huge mating surface, whereas the countersunk original screw just worked really well. I'm sure I could tighten it up more.

Top Bottom