SON hub, front and rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Have ordered NOV Design Ver 2.0 Black Fork-Shape Light Adapter for Brompton Folding Bike as an alternative, on their website the bracket is installed just fine on which seems to be pre 2017 Brompton. I just couldn't install the thing on mine. Whatever I did it pushed fender down so much that it blocked the front wheel. It seems like this thing is simply not suitable for my 2020 Brompton. Any ideas? Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Here you see the various front light brackets:

on top a standard bracket that will conflict with a Brompton bag
second the (older) Brompton holder for Halogen lights
third the Schmidt holder for the Edelux
forth the Brompton holder for the LED lights

View attachment 625224

There are others available from other parties, but this is more or less the standard setup.

I was lucky to find the bracket which is on the bottom of your picture, and while trying to install it using Aluminium bracket adaptor which was holding my reflector, aluminum backed broke as I was tightening the brake caliper assembly bolt. Probably applied too much torque. Do you think it's fine just to install this bracket without aluminum adaptor? Brake caliper squeezes it to the for hard enough that it doesn't move.

u_i

Über Member
Can you run it above the brake? In the end the bulkiest item will the lamp, so anything below the top of the lamp can be tolerated. The only issue then is whether the bolt for the lamp ends up low enough. The benefit of the wire brackets is that you can bend them if you need to.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I was lucky to find the bracket which is on the bottom of your picture, and while trying to install it using Aluminium bracket adaptor which was holding my reflector, aluminum backed broke as I was tightening the brake caliper assembly bolt. Probably applied too much torque. Do you think it's fine just to install this bracket without aluminum adaptor? Brake caliper squeezes it to the for hard enough that it doesn't move.
Not perfect but if it was my bike I would give it a try. Would watch out if if works and still try to get hold of a replacement aluminium thingy.
There have been a couple of reports from people that said that this bracket broke after some time on their bike with a Edelux. Can't testify that myself, I have been using it on three bikes with Edeluxes for years w/o issues.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Can you run it above the brake? In the end the bulkiest item will the lamp, so anything below the top of the lamp can be tolerated. The only issue then is whether the bolt for the lamp ends up low enough. The benefit of the wire brackets is that you can bend them if you need to.
No, it's designed to be installed under the brakes and can not be installed above.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Not perfect but if it was my bike I would give it a try. Would watch out if if works and still try to get hold of a replacement aluminium thingy.
There have been a couple of reports from people that said that this bracket broke after some time on their bike with a Edelux. Can't testify that myself, I have been using it on three bikes with Edeluxes for years w/o issues.
Well, that's a problem. Let alone little aluminum thingy, I couldn't find the bracket anywhere near Turkey. I can't even find front reflector to use the aluminum part from it.

When tightened aluminum wire bracket seems to hold tight against the fork. Donno how it will hold though. Any iade what torque value should be applied to the brake bracket holding rod? The one that holds the bracket.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

There have been a couple of reports from people that said that this bracket broke after some time on their bike with a Edelux.
If you meant reviews on SJS and brilliant bikes, I believe people meant that aluminum adaptor. I can't imagine steel wire bracket ever braking.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Well, that's a problem. Let alone little aluminum thingy, I couldn't find the bracket anywhere near Turkey. I can't even find front reflector to use the aluminum part from it.

When tightened aluminum wire bracket seems to hold tight against the fork. Donno how it will hold though. Any iade what torque value should be applied to the brake bracket holding rod? The one that holds the bracket.
Do get it clear what broke: The gusset aluminium thingy for thelight brakt that you put on the bolt of the brake? Or the Aluminum part on the front reflector of the Edelux that holds it to the lamp?
So are we talking about this little gusset thingy:
et-and-fittings-for-brompton-led-front-dynamo-lamp.jpg

or the latch on the reflector:
Frontrueckstrahler_web-2.jpg

If it is the latter I would not care - I do run the Edelux w/o front reflector on the Brompton anyway. If it is the first thingy I would give it a try w/o but any Brompton dealer should have lying them around in their box of leftover parts. You should also have another one that was on the bike before you mounted the lights that you could possibly make fit with the front light bracket.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Do get it clear what broke: The gusset aluminium thingy for thelight brakt that you put on the bolt of the brake? Or the Aluminum part on the front reflector of the Edelux that holds it to the lamp?
So are we talking about this little gusset thingy:
View attachment 628356
or the latch on the reflector:
View attachment 628357
If it is the latter I would not care - I do run the Edelux w/o front reflector on the Brompton anyway. If it is the first thingy I would give it a try w/o but any Brompton dealer should have lying them around in their box of leftover parts. You should also have another one that was on the bike before you mounted the lights that you could possibly make fit with the front light bracket.
This one broke

The bracket I received with Brompton cable and small front light had no this part in it. So. I had to use the one from Brompton front reflector which I managed to brake.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Well, I finally came up with solution which I think suits me best. Brompton mount didn't work as good as I wanted, because mounting wire isn't parallel at the point where it connects to the Edelux light. So once tightened the light either faced a little left or right but not centered. Maybe it's me, but it made me uncomfortable.

So I've decided to go with TRIGO bracket I've ordered from Aliexpress. Since it's gopro mount I also added Supernova gopro mount adaptor. It's perfectly straight now. Additional pivot point allows for more flexible adjustments but whole assembly looks longer. It's also all black so kind of looks better I guess.

20220207_092329.jpg

20220207_092346.jpg

20220207_092314.jpg

berlinonaut

Veteran
Good that you managed to solve the issue! Though I still do not really get why there was a problem. This is i.e. the bike of a friend of mine. It has the >2018 brakes and a SON Edelux along with the Brompton bracket and no issues with mounting a bag.

42977430aq.jpg

Top Bottom