SON hub, front and rear lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

Following recommendation of @berlinonaut I've decided to go ahead with SON hub, front and rear lights.

Had to order all three from 3 different retailers paying extra for shipping. I guess Covid broke everyone's supply chain.

SON XS with wheel, Edelux II for front and SON rear lights. Tested today, even though in the rain it lit the front of the bike adequately. Took me some time to change the wheels/tires and install everything but it was fun and I truly enjoyed it. Permanent solution, no batteries to think about anymore. Back stock reflector of Brompton (cateye) didn't really fit as it was too wide and heavy. SON Adapter Plate that I've used is designed for BUSCH + MÜLLER Rear Reflector 313/3Z which is less wider.

Even though fit was tight, the front reflector did fit.

Pictures of lights are in standby low mode from capacitor, pretty hard to snap a picture of dynamo light while riding :smile:

Very pleased so far.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Following recommendation of @berlinonaut I've decided to go ahead with SON hub, front and rear lights.

Had to order all three from 3 different retailers paying extra for shipping. I guess Covid broke everyone's supply chain.

SON XS with wheel, Edelux II for front and SON rear lights. Tested today, even though in the rain it lit the front of the bike adequately. Took me some time to change the wheels/tires and install everything but it was fun and I truly enjoyed it. Permanent solution, no batteries to think about anymore. Not sure if to keep the back reflector or not. Front reflector didn't fit.

Pictures of lights are in standby low mode from capacitor, pretty hard to snap a picture of dynamo light while riding :smile:

Very pleased so far.

View attachment 624012

View attachment 624013

View attachment 624014

View attachment 624015

View attachment 624016

View attachment 624017
View attachment 624018
Top job 👍😎

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The trick with these StVZO headlights is aim: you pretty much want the cut-off on the horizon. Any higher, and car drivers flash you; any lower, and you can't see enough at speed. The cut-off is very sharp and half a degree makes all the difference. I take the tool with me and ride around a bit, since it's rare to find a completely level road to set it up. The compression of the rear suspension block also raises the beam, so it can't be aimed by pushing the bike around.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

The trick with these StVZO headlights is aim: you pretty much want the cut-off on the horizon. Any higher, and car drivers flash you; any lower, and you can't see enough at speed. The cut-off is very sharp and half a degree makes all the difference. I take the tool with me and ride around a bit, since it's rare to find a completely level road to set it up. The compression of the rear suspension block also raises the beam, so it can't be aimed by pushing the bike around.

My method exactly. Capacitor provides enough light to set it up on dry surface.

ExBrit

Über Member

SON XS with wheel, Edelux II for front and SON rear lights. Tested today, even though in the rain it lit the front of the bike adequately. Took me some time to change the wheels/tires and install everything but it was fun and I truly enjoyed it. Permanent solution, no batteries to think about anymore. Back stock reflector of Brompton (cateye) didn't really fit as it was too wide and heavy. SON Adapter Plate that I've used is designed for BUSCH + MÜLLER Rear Reflector 313/3Z which is less wider.

Very pleased so far.
My only regret when I bought dynamo hub and lights is that I didn't do it years earlier.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Apparently Brompton's stock rear reflector is not suitable for SON bracket supplied for rear light. Had to order narrower one which this bracket was designed for.

What was really frustrating that SONs fork bracket supplied with Edelux II headlight which was suitable for Brompton positions light so high that it interferes with any bag positioned in front carrier. Now I have to find a solution and order another bracket.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Apparently Brompton's stock rear reflector is not suitable for SON bracket supplied for rear light. Had to order narrower one which this bracket was designed for.

View attachment 625113

View attachment 625114

What was really frustrating that SONs bracket supplied with Edelux II which was suitable for Brompton positions light so high that it interferes with any bag positioned in front carrier. Now I have to find a solution and order another bracket.
Brilliant bikes do the correct bracket for the front light for £6.

u_i

Über Member
Just take a piece of alu sheet and drill holes.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Brompton front light bracket is known to fatigue and break, especially with a heavier lamp like the SON. A standard B&M "thick wire" type of bracket can be modified to fit under a front bag by putting it in a vice and introducing it to Mr Mallet. It may still break eventually, but the things are breeding in my spares box.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I
The Brompton front light bracket is known to fatigue and break, especially with a heavier lamp like the SON. A standard B&M "thick wire" type of bracket can be modified to fit under a front bag by putting it in a vice and introducing it to Mr Mallet. It may still break eventually, but the things are breeding in my spares box.
Sorry but I'm not sure I cached the meaning. Could you elaborate?

Top Bottom