Song lyrics one liners that anyone under 30 won’t understand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"She was a girl from Birmingham. She just had an abortion".

Any of you know this one?

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I like to watch people react on YT to Lola by the Kinks just for the 'reveal' at the end. One Gen Z couple didn't notice it at all, it went over their heads at about the same height as the ISS orbit.

Most youtubers & even 'official' lyrics sites get this one wrong by saying its 'I'm glad I'm a man'...no...it's 'I'll bet'.

There's a reference to Mary Whitehouse on Pink Floyd's Animals album that most seem to miss.

richardfm

Veteran
I like to watch people react on YT to Lola by the Kinks just for the 'reveal' at the end. One Gen Z couple didn't notice it at all, it went over their heads at about the same height as the ISS orbit.

Most youtubers & even 'official' lyrics sites get this one wrong by saying its 'I'm glad I'm a man'...no...it's 'I'll bet'.

There's a reference to Mary Whitehouse on Pink Floyd's Animals album that most seem to miss.

You mean
"Hey you, Whitehouse,
Ha ha charade you are.
You house proud town mouse,
Ha ha charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street.
You're nearly a real treat,
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?'

What make you think that most people miss it?

winjim

Smash the cistern

That's interesting and I wonder if it says something about the younger generation and their attitude towards gender. I could be reading too much into it though.

It is 'I'm glad' though. Certainly in some versions anyway, I've just had a listen because I completely misremembered the lyric as 'what I am is'. Although, there are at least two recordings of the original knocking about (Coca-cola and cherry cola versions) so maybe that lyric's different as well? Does 'I'll bet' make sense? I think 'I'm glad' puts a certain nuance in because it can be read two ways, but it's not exactly a subtle song so that might be unintentional.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Lesley Judd, President de Gaulle, Arthur Conley, Cannon and Ball

We Name The Guilty - The Vibrators

If I could find a lyrics site with it on, I'd post a full list of the guilty. Unfortunately I can't find one so you'll have to make do with four that I can remember.

The guilty that they name are quite numerous and include a fair few names that I didn't understand at the time and still don't.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

The Kinks had form on the topic. David Watts:

And all the girls in the neighborhood
Try to go out with David Watts
They try their best but they can't succeed
For he is a pure and noble breed

captain nemo1701

You mean
"Hey you, Whitehouse,
Ha ha charade you are.
You house proud town mouse,
Ha ha charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street.
You're nearly a real treat,
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?'

What make you think that most people miss it?

I don't think they know who she was or assume its someone else. People in the comments often explain it.

captain nemo1701

That's interesting and I wonder if it says something about the younger generation and their attitude towards gender. I could be reading too much into it though.

It is 'I'm glad' though. Certainly in some versions anyway, I've just had a listen because I completely misremembered the lyric as 'what I am is'. Although, there are at least two recordings of the original knocking about (Coca-cola and cherry cola versions) so maybe that lyric's different as well? Does 'I'll bet' make sense? I think 'I'm glad' puts a certain nuance in because it can be read two ways, but it's not exactly a subtle song so that might be unintentional.

I must have heard this 1000 times and I'm pretty certain its 'I'll bet I'm a man and so's Lola'. I'll check again. The coca cola line was apparently adjusted to cherry cola since the BBC objected to the coca cola brand name on TOTP back in the day.

Top Bottom