Songs that make you nostalgic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Solid Air - John Martyn (or indeed anything by the man) ahhhhhh music to melt to

always reminds me of a time in 78 with a certain bloke who is now my husband

so if you're reading this..... x

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Back in the early '80s 'on my travels', I once spent a few weeks picking tomatoes in a town called Bowen in Australia. (Back-breaking work...not for the faint-hearted.) A roller-skating rink next door to the campsite where I was staying used to play Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant over & over, every night. Every time I hear it, I'm right back there....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Lyin' Eyes does the same for me... resident band in a hotel I did sous cheffing for used to play it every single night at 10.30... can't stand the Eagles as a consequence.

ChrisKH

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
Abba's album Arrival reminds me of being at home before I was sent away to boarding school.

Crikey that's a bit of an admission FM.

More so, is that I still have it in the loft. Reminds me of my first g/f. I was 14 and she was 13 going on 30. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello... not a romantic song by any stretch of the imagination, but it was kind of a backrop to the first time I fell in lurve.... :biggrin: We used to put it on the pub jukebox, cos we liked the piano sound in it, which apparently was inspired by Abba.

(from Wikipedia... so it must be true:smile:
During the recording of Armed Forces at Eden Studios in West London, the incomplete "Oliver's Army" was nearly dropped from the album, but was eventually kept after keyboardist Steve Nieve created the piano part for the song, inspired, perhaps ironically, by ABBA's "Dancing Queen."

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I heard Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' the other day and was transported right back to Aberystwyth sea front watching numerous sunsets from the 'Glen' boozer's terrace at the end of my 1st year at college in 1988 - brilliant carefree loose women chasing days :biggrin:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
trustysteed said:
1987 for me, what a year of drinking with some special mates.

Too right! Great times for me too :becool:

Me and my mates put together a casette tape (yes, it was THAT long ago) of all our favorite rocking songs made up of a mix of Def Leppard, ZZ Top, Gary Moore, Jimmy Barnes. Strategically placed midway and at the end of each side of the tape was what we termed a 'zon' song (short slang for Madison which was a brand of cigarette), a more mellow song such as Hysteria.

As soon as one of those songs came on, we would stop what we were doing (which was usually just drinking beers in the carpark outside the local niteclub eyeing up the chicks), light up a Madison, and lean back reflecting on how cool we were for 4mins or so. I didn't smoke fulltime, mind, but still managed to enjoy those drags!

Guns+Roses - appetite for descruction. Was working on a demolition site with 4 cranes all tuned into a heavy metal station in Canning town in 1988. The site reverberated to Sweet Child of mine or paradise city etc. a bit reminescent of Apocalypse now. A long hot summer..I managed to earn enough in 3 months to pay uni fees and keep me for most of my final year at college.
Van Morrison's Avalon Sunset- especially Coney Island.. "on and on over the hill .. and the craic was good"... " I look at the side of your face as the sunlight comes streaming through the window in the autumn sunshine and all the time we're going to Coney Island I'm thinking, wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time"

Top Bottom