Songs that REALLY make you shiver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KitsuneAndy

Dayvo said:
Johnny Cash - Hurt

I wonder how many people think that's actually one of his song's and not a cover ;)

A friend of mine wouldn't believe me even when I showed him the release date of the original, doh ;)

KitsuneAndy

The Johnny Cash version is way better I think. It would get my vote for most moving song. It's the video that does it.

I can see why it can have some 'extra' feeling behind it due to Johnny Cash being very aware that he was dieing when he covered it, but to me, it being a cover takes some of the 'feeling' away from it. I always find that the singer/band having written the song themselves adds a certain level of feeling that just can't be reached by twisting the meaning of someone elses song.

And seeing NiN play Hurt live at the Astoria a couple of years ago was the most moving movement in a gig I've ever seen.

tomb1960

Radiohead, Karma Police, the memory of this as their Glastonbury encore still gives me Goosebumps!

Santana, Samba Pati because most men of a certain age slow danced to this when they were teenagers!

Huge respect to Redfox, such a pleasure to see that I am not alone in liking Joanna Newson, my family leave the room screaming if our i-pod ever throws her into the mix - PHILLISTINES!

KitsuneAndy said:
I can see why it can have some 'extra' feeling behind it due to Johnny Cash being very aware that he was dieing when he covered it, but to me, it being a cover takes some of the 'feeling' away from it. I always find that the singer/band having written the song themselves adds a certain level of feeling that just can't be reached by twisting the meaning of someone elses song.

And seeing NiN play Hurt live at the Astoria a couple of years ago was the most moving movement in a gig I've ever seen.

While Johnny Cash did do a great version of it, I saw NIN do it on the telly coverage of one of this year's festivals. Very very good, and it does mean a bit more when the person who's singing it is the one who's written it. But Cash did make the lyrics very relevant to himself.

domtyler

Über Member
In my clubbing days I used to get goosepimples down the neck all the time when listening to techno/trance dance music. Rarely get it nowadays though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I get goosebumps and a murder wish when I hear that sh!t being played too loud from scumbag chav cars. How anybody can call it music is beyond me.

domtyler

Über Member
What does it for me, like I said, is the video. Especially the parts relating to his wife, who had just died, and knowing about their relationship.

Oh stop, your gonna get me blubbing in a minute!

papercorn2000

Another vote for Jonny Cash's version of Hurt. Another cover that I love is Joe Strummer's version of Redemption Songs - again, the whole shivers thing.

Go With The Flow by QOTSA - how loud, driving rock should be done!

Top Bottom