Songs that REALLY make you shiver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Joy Division- Love will tear us apart
Straight to Hell-the Clash
Geno-Dexys Midnight Runners
The Trees-Rush
Red Frame White Light-OMD

skut

Two songs (covered) by Nina Simone: "Where does the time go" and "Ne me quitte a pas"

SamNichols

KitsuneAndy said:
I wonder how many people think that's actually one of his song's and not a cover ;)

A friend of mine wouldn't believe me even when I showed him the release date of the original, doh ;)

Nobody believes me that Jose Gonsalez's song: 'heartbeats' (you know the one off that advert?) was originally a stonking electro song by The Knife. In this case, as pleasant as the cover is, the original is so much better.

If we're going covers then the Ryan Adams cover of Wonderwall, off Love Hurts, far outshadows the original and actually sounds like it's got some emotion to it.

If not, then I love the first track off Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (which I have forgotten the name of completely, and can't be arsed to look it up). The way that song fits together reminds me of how much I love jazz.
Or, the song: 'The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is out to get us!' off the Sufjan Stevens album: 'Come on feel the Illinoise!' is song writing at its best, particularly lyrics wise. For some reason I find the line: 'we swaggered and swayed' crushing.

SamNichols

Oh yes, and the song: 'Kids' by Lou Reed. Anyone who has heard it will know what I mean. Anyone who hasn't heard it, then hear it and weep as it comes to a climax. It's the most disturbing thing that I've ever heard.

perfect circle - r.e.m.
southern central rain (i'm sorry) - r.e.m.
e-bow the letter - r.e.m.
cynthia mask - robyn hitchcock
i saw nick drake - robyn hitchcock
farewell - rosie thomas
ohio - damien jurado
no surprises - radiohead
sit down - james (preferably the rough trade version)
cloudbusting - kate bush
the whole of 'in the aeroplane over the sea' by neutral milk hotel

L

Nina Simone's "Sinner Man" or "Strange Fruit"
John Rutter's (?) "God so loved the world" - I'm not religious in any respect but I do love choral music!
Faure's "Cantique de Jean Racime" and the "Requiem"
the 4th movement of Beethoven's ninth

Abitrary

I saw Husker Du once. The only memories I have of it are of the support band, The Shock Haired Peters, all jumping into the audience to beat someone up who threw a bottle at them.

A tender sixth form student, I thought that the fat violent singer of Husker Du would be more inclined to violence that someone called peter

Abitrary said:
I saw Husker Du once. The only memories I have of it are of the support band, The Shock Haired Peters, all jumping into the audience to beat someone up who threw a bottle at them.

A tender sixth form student, I thought that the fat violent singer of Husker Du would be more inclined to violence that someone called peter

I saw Husker Du in London in 85/86. Very Loud. Very Good. Still got all their studio albums, one live album and a 7" single of them covering "Eight Miles High"!

Top Bottom