Sonos replacement advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
We have an older model Sonos Play 5 that is not long for this world - the volume intermittently fades to such an extent that it is inaudible. On contacting their support, we have been told that it is a hardware fault, is not fixable and as the unit is 3+ years old not addressable under warranty. Instead they offered to sell us a new Sonos 5 at £350 instead of the £500 RRP.

As we're not inclined to throw more money at Sonos given our experience with their products, does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

For background, we also have a more recent Sonos Play 1 and Amazon Echo, and stream music using Spotify.

keithmac

Guru
We have Sonos throughout our house, I suppose it all depends if you want or need music synced across multiple rooms or not really.

The Apple speaker hasn't had that many good reviews.

I was surprised how good a single Play one was on its own to be fair. We use the 5:1 (Playbar Sub + 1's) more for music than TV now.

I'm on Deezer and it works fine with Sonos.

There's quite a few streaming speakers about, maybe a trip to Richer Sounds is worth a go and have a listen to a few.

For me the Sonos just works too well across the house to look elsewhere.

I picked a Play3 up for the landing for £150 and it was practically brand new.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If you want to get clever with them you can remind them that under current European law goods should last for a reasonable time and do they think it is reasonable that an electronic item costing £500 plus lasts that long. When they come back saying yes then go crazy on twitter facebook etc showing their reply. They'll soon sort it for you.

OP
OP
siadwell

siadwell

Guru
If you want to get clever with them you can remind them that under current European law goods should last for a reasonable time and do they think it is reasonable that an electronic item costing £500 plus lasts that long. When they come back saying yes then go crazy on twitter facebook etc showing their reply. They'll soon sort it for you.
This approach had crossed my mind. Must be worth a go.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This approach had crossed my mind. Must be worth a go.
Definitely. You could tell them up front you plan to post/tweet/broadcast widely about your experience and wonder if they have any response they'd like included, because you're sure lots of people would be very interested...

Shoddy behaviour on their part. When I had a similar experience with Roberts radio they were extremely apologetic, asked me to pack it securely and sent me a postage paid label. A week later I had it back, in perfect working order, and it's been working perfectly ever since. Must be ten years old now, come to think of it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I bought my parents one of the new Echos and was impressed by the sound quality.

Top Bottom