Sora more expensive than 105??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Am I going mad. I need to replace my front mech. It's a 9 speed Sora. Checked prices. Then checked 105 to see if it was worth upgrading. 105 is cheaper. Across the board.

...am I missing something?

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Probably not; Sora is older and less popular so it's about economies of scale.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think I've got some old 9sp Sora bits knocking about somewhere if you want 'em.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Can I swap a 9 speed Sora front mech for an 11 speed 105 front mech? Both are running a 2 by ring at the front. Can't imagine whats going on at the rear matters any?

Slioch

Guru
Another forumite on here gave me a link to this Shimano compatability sheet. The info you're looking for may be in here somewhere.

I am no expert but would say that a 105 FD would be narrower than a 9 speed Sora. 105 came with both 10 speed and 11 speed, depending on age / version. I have both Sora 9 speed and 105 11 speed and the FD certainly looks narrower compared with the Sora. So whilst it may be possible to fit the 105 you may find it harder to trim to stop chain rub. IMO.

Slioch

Guru
Well I've tried and tried but I can't make head nor tail of that. Right over my head!

Mine too. Sorry :sad:

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I am no expert but would say that a 105 FD would be narrower than a 9 speed Sora. 105 came with both 10 speed and 11 speed, depending on age / version. I have both Sora 9 speed and 105 11 speed and the FD certainly looks narrower compared with the Sora. So whilst it may be possible to fit the 105 you may find it harder to trim to stop chain rub. IMO.
Howcome the mech that has to accomodate more gears at the back (and I assume bigge left to right travel). Would have the narrower cage?

Kernow_T

Über Member
Am I going mad. I need to replace my front mech. It's a 9 speed Sora. Checked prices. Then checked 105 to see if it was worth upgrading. 105 is cheaper. Across the board.

...am I missing something?
almost certain I've got one brand new unused is it band on or braze on your after?

Top Bottom