sora or 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
I recently test rode the Giant Defy 1 and found it to be a fantastic bike, very responsive and easy to ride with the 105`s, it was In my very humble and inexperienced opinion a fantastic bike BUT being all of the above i chose to go with the Specialized Roubaix with Soras (upgarde when i can) because it was a little easier to ride for my slightly older frame and the carbon shakes out the bumps a little more..this is only my opinion..:blush:

I have a Defy 2 (i got it for a silly price) but still hanker after the Roubaix.

Not wishing to go off topic, but, how good is 105 compared to Tiagra (9 speed)

Broadside

Guru
The new (2013) sora are like the old tiagra, so are absolutely fine.

I had Sora with the thumb shift, one lever broke after 7000 miles so i used an old Tiagra shifter temporarily then got the Sora 2013 shifters which i have been using for the last 2000 miles. Compared to Tiagra they are really clunky, they might look similar to the previous Tiagra but the internal mech is different and it is very noticeable.

My advice would be to avoid Sora and go for Tiagra minimum.

Kies

Just wondered why you specifically bought a GIANT DEFY.

What's your opinion of it compared to other bikes?

i thought the Cube & Specialized were great bikes, but being new to road bikes at that time, i found them a little too race like for me. The Giant has a more relaxed geometry and it felt better for me. havn't regretted buying this bike. i will change the wheels this summer and use those on my Triban

gazmyers

hi folks going to throw a spanner in this debate, my budget is 1k but for a little more I have seen this bike carbon 8.1kg weight
Prologo Nago saddle ,Shimano RS 10 custom wheels Michelin PRO 3 Race tyres, compact Shimano 105 groupset question is would you say this is good value? than when I say its from decathlon there b twin range do we think its a good deal? you get more than the other bikes mentioned defy 1 ,Cube
Cannondale CAAD 8
Specialized Allez

hi folks going to throw a spanner in this debate, my budget is 1k but for a little more I have seen this bike carbon 8.1kg weight
Prologo Nago saddle ,Shimano RS 10 custom wheels Michelin PRO 3 Race tyres, compact Shimano 105 groupset question is would you say this is good value? than when I say its from decathlon there b twin range do we think its a good deal? you get more than the other bikes mentioned defy 1 ,Cube
Cannondale CAAD 8
Specialized Allez
Can we throw the Trek Madone 2.1 into the mix too?

potsy

Rambler
Having recently purchased a bike with 105 I can certainly tell the difference between that and the old Sora on my Secteur, there is little difference from my Tiagra 10 speed though.
Old Sora now feels 'clunky' but perfectly usable :thumbsup:

the new 105 on my genesis is pretty dam as good as i will ever need.

its all about what suits you though.

Cyclist33

Sora shifters are the work of the devil. Definitely wouldn't go below Tiagra at the front end.

The new ones are ok. Yes they were very badly set up bu the LBS but I spent a profitable two hours last night sorting them out.

Another option and in my book a better one - alu frame, 105 shifters, sell the stock wheels for a hundred and upgrade to Ultegra wheels...

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/sensa-bikes/sensa-romagna-special-2013.html

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ls/shimano-ultegra-6700-wheels-grey-pair.html

Stu

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i am just about to upgrade the components on my Giant Defy 4 to shimano 105 - all except the 2300 shifters, cause i actually quite like the thumb lever on the side for the down shift

i spend most of my time riding on the hoods and flats and just find the lever in the right position for me, but i will be using 105 front mech, rear mech, crankset and BB

Cyclist33

i am just about to upgrade the components on my Giant Defy 4 to shimano 105 - all except the 2300 shifters, cause i actually quite like the thumb lever on the side for the down shift

i spend most of my time riding on the hoods and flats and just find the lever in the right position for me, but i will be using 105 front mech, rear mech, crankset and BB

Wheels and a carbon seatpost first!

Top Bottom