sore knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mds101

I've was off my bike for about 8 days as I'd had a bad back (long suffering thing, not cyling related). I went out on Sunday and for a fairly long ride after about 3/4 way through my left knee really started hurting to the point where I could hardly turn the pedals. Had a way to get home tohugh so I just had to grit teeth and get through it.

I packed it in ice when I got home and took some profen but later in the evening I couldn't move my leg it went really stiff...it woke me in the night a few times with the pain. Its eased a little today but I'm still limping and struggling up the stairs.

The pain is not directly on the knee more to the left of the knee cap on my left leg. I don't think it is bike set up as I've covered a lot of miles over the last year and not had any discomfort...well saddle is a bit sore sometimes but not really bad!

I'm worrying that I've done somethng significantly bad. I don't really mix with other cyclists much (a bit of a loner) and was hoping someone might be able to say to me that this happens, take it easy for a few days, put in some short rides and it'll go away and don't worry about it....if its still bad in a couple of weeks, see somebody about it.

Is it likely that such a short time off the bike could have caused a weakness that resulted in musle pain...

any advice welcome...I guess really other than the odd lower back problem Idon't suffer much so am just looking for a bit of reassurance...but isn't everybody.

Bman

Guru
TBH I would go and see a doctor. It may get better on its own, but wouldnt you like to know whats wrong with it? You wouldnt want it getting any worse either.

Knees are important to us cyclists! :tongue:

Fiona N

Veteran
It does sound like the effect of tight ilio-tibial band (ITB in runner-speak) might be causing some imbalance which is resulting in the inflammation at the side of the knee. This could easily have been triggered by your back problems as anything which affects the position of the pelvis has knock-on effects in the glutes and piriformis (bum muscles, basically) and hence on your ITB. For example, if your back was tight on one side more than the other, you'd have a tendency to have one hip higher than the other, or rock your hips from side to side as you pedal. If this isn't what your body normally does, it's likely to object by causing pain at the most vulnerable point.

Definitely a case for a physio

Pottsy

I agree with Fiona, very likely to be ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome). Here's a bit of info:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/knee/irunnersknee.html

Lot's I could say here, as a long term sufferer, but basically see a professional physical therapist and get your bike set-up checked, as Fiona also says.

Note: generally a doctor (GP) will be no use at all here unless you just want some pain killers to treat the symptoms and not the cause.

OP
OP
M

mds101

thanks for responses. I do have an appointment with GP in the morning for some pain killers. I also have a physio appt. soon through the NHS (how did that happen?) but this is for my back. I can understand how they can be related, but am a bit nervous about saying to the physio...and while I'm here I've been struggling with my knee.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was going to post that i have a knee problem as well but i may as well hijack this thread :laugh:

Pain is in the left knee either side of the knee cap ,but at the bottom of the knee rather than behind it , hurts more when its bent.Hurts more on the inside at the front.

Hey mds101 I have a condition that sounds similar to yours, i've been to the docs and the physio and both confirmed lateral collateral ligament damage not completely torn but enough to be very uncomfortable when cycling, which I no doubt caused by attacking from the start of my last sportive without my normal warm up and new pedals not set up correctly, then continuing when my body told me to stop.

Here's a good source of information http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Knee_ligament_injuries.html

It's been six weeks so far of NSAID, RICE & physio and by the looks of it I have months more to come.

Goodluck

OP
OP
M

mds101

thanks all. I've finally been to see a physio...she was concerned about my back and my leg/knee and assumes that the two are related and is treating as such. I've some basic streches to do for my back initially to move out of the 'acute' phase (I think) and then start on rehab work for back and leg.
Physio said I could ride as long as it didn't hurt. I rode in to work in the week and ended up having to phone home for a lift after riding only half way. Real pain. Feel bad, but I've decided to take a short break from riding. I'll test my leg out each sunday and when I can ride without pain, I'll pick up agian. I really don't want to do proper damage as I have plans for the next year that require me to have working legs!

Top Bottom