Sore muscles advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all.
I have osteoarthritis in both knees, but that isn't the problem.
It's my front thighs muscles. They are constantly sore and are painful when I rub them.
I commute 48 miles per week total on my hybrid, over 4 days, so I would have thought this is not excessive, I know members on here do many more.
I've experimented with my saddle height with the help of a friend, but the soreness is still there.
I've tried protein recovery drinks etc, but no results.
The soreness is constant, it's as if my muscles can't recover. I'm out of ideas, can anyone offer advice or a solution please ?
If anyone has had these symptoms, I would be glad to hear your thoughts.
Sorry for long post, and thanks in advance, any remedies much appreciated.
Cheers.

Saddle height would be my guess but you said you've experimented did you try the 'Heal on the Pedal' technique to start off, then experimented from there.

That aside perhaps acupuncture might relieve it

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Not going hard, or all out, but I like to make progress as I'm commuting to work and back.
It's a constant soreness I've had for more than a month now.
It's hard to describe but the soreness seems deep inside the front thigh muscles and they are tender to touch. Even on days off it's still there.
I can only assume it's related to my knees, but they feel great after a commute on the bike.
Hopefully someone who has had a similar problem will be on soon.
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of the problem soon.

CXRAndy

Guru
Are you taking any medications, like statins? They have been known to have aching muscle side effects. A good diet and rest should help. Have week off and see if legs recover.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you taking any medications, like statins? They have been known to have aching muscle side effects. A good diet and rest should help. Have week off and see if legs recover.
TMN to me :smile:

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

No, guys, I'm not on stations or any other medication. I do sometimes take pain killers for my osteoarthritis but that's all.
I have the week off as from Saturday, so I'll monitor myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you do any Physio if you have OA. Keep the muscles balanced, support and offload the knees a bit. Might be tightness or imbalance somewhere else in the hip to foot chain causing the thighs to be overloaded

Breedon

Legendary Member
Could be that you need to start stretching after every ride.

Can you pin point the pain when you press your finger on your leg?
Worse in winter?

Sounds like it's what I suffered with for a few years until I stretched for the first time and the next day felt great.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
You could be "grinding" without realising it (using a higher gear and slower RPMs) which can be harder on your muscles than "spinning" (lower gear and faster RPMs). Try dropping down a gear (or two) and pedalling a little faster for a few days and see if this eases the soreness. (Note: If you're not a natural spinner this might feel a bit like you're windmilling your legs and breathing harder than usual, but that's just because spinning is more aerobic. You get used to it as your body adjusts to the change in style).

You could, of course, need some medical assistance so don't continue this if it makes things worse or you're not comfortable with it - but I just thought I'd suggest it in case it helps. :smile:

Top Bottom