Sore Palms when Cycling, Higher handlbars Part called?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamfromayr

HOLA:angry:

For many years when I cycle my palms are sore/uncomfortable

Not majorly sore but almost like a bruise being pressed upon

Not sharp pain just a mild pain on palms, it puts me off cycling quite a bit

Does anyone else get this?

Summer is here and I want to loose some beef on my tummy

I already got those side bars, see pic

But what I want to buy for my Trek 8.5 DS Hybird bike is a larger stem, I want to raise my handlebars up so im not putting as much downward pressure on the palms off my hands, im planning a trip to France on my bike so want to get the handlebars raised but trying to Google the part I need isn’t easy and the local bike shop guy is a bit unfriendly so I don’t want to go there,

Does anyone know the name of the part? A Link perhaps? See photo off the bit I need to raise!

Any suggestions are welcomed!

p.s. Current post is 1 1/8" inch = 28.575mm, Length around 26cm =10"

Adam From AYR:B)

Attachments

• DSC07181.JPG
    DSC07181.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC07182.JPG
    DSC07182.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 64

Slick

Guru
The bit sticking up is the steerer tube and to me it looks like you are missing some washers that would stack below your stem to bring the bars up. Did you get the bike second hand?

You could also check you haven't set your saddle a tad high.

vickster

Legendary Member
Padded gloves?
Maybe twist the grips down a bit so you're hands rest flat on what look like ergo grips?

12boy

Guru
Having the saddle nose point down throws your weight forward. Having it go up puts more of your weight on your sitbones. Higher bars cause you to be sitting more erect, also putting less pressure on your hands. The palm down position with flat bars can cause pressure on the nerve that runs into your hand from between your wrist bones. I find this painful so I use moustache bars, bar ends or North road bars to give my hands a break. The cheapest and quickest fix is to try bar ends on your flat bars. If nothing else they provide another hand position. Good luck!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your stem setup is so wrong that I suspect your saddle setup may also be wrong, contributing to your bad position. Why don't you post a pic of the bike taken from one side so that we can see the saddle setup? Even better, a pic of the bike with you sitting on it, leaning against a wall.

PS: with your stem and steerer missing the all-important cap, which pulls the system together before the stem bolts are tightened, how much play is there in the steering? Does the fork rock back and forth when you lock the front brake and rock the bike? That will be making the bike feel quite insecure.

Last edited:
Time to re-assess your whole riding position.
Your gross position is set by points of contact. Set them in order of pedals-saddle-bars
Fine position is about fine tuning the points of contact: saddle level/tilt and most importantly, bar handhold angle.

I am not a huge fan of flat MTB bars.I switched mine to OnOne Mary which has a swept back style and relieves a lot of stress in the arms. I use the cork ergo grips which are excellent.
One you have swept bars you can rotate a bit to change the angle.
An adjustable stem is probably a useful addition.

OP
OP
adamfromayr

adamfromayr

Thanks you guys, Yes these are ergo grips, i was thinking i need new handlebars

? higher ones or a higher stem? i think now is a good time to add a further photos of what it looks like now, previous pics were it dismantled lol,

Best just to update pics . thanks for the reply's and please update this and let me know,
DSC07183.JPG
DSC07196.JPG

Singapore Rider

Leaving the headtube open i.e. without a cap poses a serious injury risk. In case you slip off the handlebar or the stem breaks the tube will punch a neat hole into your chest.

Top Bottom