Sorry but new brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

judder

I need to replace the brake pads on my shimano ultegra brakes..
Would like a good all round pad that will also not destroy my rims..
Dura Ace, Koolstop or Swissstop..
Will let you decide..
Thanks

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They are all pretty good, people prefer koolstop and swisstop to the dura ace pads.

400bhp

Guru
I have Koolstop-haven't tried the others.

They have been on the bike for around 5k miles and still good for another 2k at a guess. Seem to be pretty competent in wet and dry.

ushills

Veteran
I would go for the Koolstops as well, seem to be the most recommended but make sure to get the Salmon ones.

zexel

Veteran
Swisstop are the best pad.

DuraAce are not bad pads at the expense of being slightly abrasive. Never liked Koolstop, found them a bit juddery and squeal when wet.

Edit: Cost and wear (pad) are not my priorities when it comes to my opinion on brake pads.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Koolstop salmon.

I've also tried (and liked) Gooey pads, Soft compound works almost as well as Koolstop salmon but costs less than half.

400bhp

Guru
Yeah, this is a bit weird.

I've just checked when I bought them. 9 November 2010. I've done 5400 miles since then.

Check this out - I only bought my bike in September 2010. I didn't log my miles before mid October but I would have done about 1500 miles on the original pads.

How crap must the original brake pads have been (Tiagra I think?)

However, to caveat. I did a fair bit of group riding on the original pads and you brake a lot more and more importantly brake for longer periods.

I have Koolstop-haven't tried the others.

They have been on the bike for around 5k miles and still good for another 2k at a guess. Seem to be pretty competent in wet and dry.
I've got a wee bit to go then, mine have only done 1.75k miles. I hope they last as long as the Ultegra brakes they replace on the rear of my bike; they got 9.6k miles and the fronts are still going at 11.4k miles. I've not tried the others in the OP either but I suspect Dura Ace will be similar to Ultegra. The Ultegra pads are rim friendly but braking wise the Koolstop out performs them.

VamP

Banned
Swisstop GHP II for me. Great wet performance.

About 2000 miles on my road bike so far, and hardly a sign of wear, rims or pads. The other set on my cross bike has a harder life, but they are used for CX races, and make the much maligned cantis perform superbly.

Top Bottom