Sorry - my fault you nearly killed me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Wobbles said:
Damn right Jock.
I seriously want to get one now. That little incident would've made compulsive viewing.
Particularly the bit where he's an inch from the camera telling me how he's going to kill me.........I'm sure the jury would be besides themselves;)

I keep on waiting for someone to do something like this to me, so I can wait for a pause and point out that (i) this is a video camera (ii) it has a microphone.
(My cameras on the handlebars, next to my lights, so not so obvious as a helmetcam).

The flip side (and not necessarily a bad one), is that I'm very conscious of the fact that, to a degree, my cycling is also be videoed, so should I need to use the footage as evidence, I could also dump myself in it, for something else on there.

col

Legendary Member
Eat MY Dust;41314][QUOTE=rustychisel;40822][QUOTE=Tynan said:
some men do not like being called a c*** and consider it an insult justifying a fight

and that's their right, worth remembering that not everyone uses it as lightly as some

Is it? Is it really? Are you offering that as your manifesto or merely trying the claim of 'some men'?

In my opinion the utterance of a word is NEVER an good reason for violence.[/QUOTE]

Someone calling me a daffodil, depending on the situation, would certainly have something coming their way. Rusty, what your stance if it someone calls your other half this 'word', just shrug your shoulders and walk away???[/QUOTE]

Bringing the family into it doesnt justify it,a sign of the times? Its turning into a very violent place.Now if you were to say your family was threatened,obviously thats a very different scenario,but swearing is the second language of a lot of people now,which means you may be scrapping more often than not in some places:laugh:

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

Someone calling me a daffodil, depending on the situation, would certainly have something coming their way. Rusty, what your stance if it someone calls your other half this 'word', just shrug your shoulders and walk away???[/quote]

I understand what you're saying.

It was an unpleasant response to an unpleasant situation. Calling someone a foul name versus nearly being squashed under their truck wheels due to their negligence. Given the choice, I know which I'd rather.
Would that be an appropriate situation to enact some violence?

Tynan

Veteran
how did insulting him prevent him crushing you?

I'm not saying I'd have done any different, I'd have done the same, I'm merely pointing out that some people don't call other people that and will be insulted enough to respond violently

he had said sorry just before that too hadn't he?

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

Unfortunately he made no effort whatsoever to apologise. If he had I'd have have let it go. Instead he gave me a disdainful sneer which hardly went anyway to make me think other than he couldn't have given a toss if he'd have hit me. Mine was a (slightly unconscious)reaction which I admit was from being pumped up from the shock and was as much an expletive describing what had just happened than anything else.

Yes, I'll try to temper my C word quota next time........I'd like to think he's thought about it as well and will drive more safely.

I wonder if he will?;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:

I'm not saying I'd have done any different, I'd have done the same, I'm merely pointing out that some people don't call other people that and will be insulted enough to respond violently

No, not according to Wobble's acount, I think you've misread that...

Frankly, the driver sounds like the sort of person to whom any swearword would be like water off a duck's back... Once again, I suspect he was using aggression to mask fear - having realised he'd cocked up good and proper, the only way to save face was to act all tough.

Blue

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
There is a point in calling plod. As you can identify the person concerned, it may be that he is known to plod, and plod may well be interested in having a word with him... It may be enough to deter the guy from doing it again. It's worked for me in the past.

I agree with this 100%.

The area where I cycle had a serial aggressor in a red nova. One of my mates managed to get his reg one day and upon reporting it was informed "we know about him and he won't be on the road much longer". He did seem to disappear after that.

Blue

Legendary Member
col said:
No i think these sort of people would have reacted the same way if you had said"That wasnt very safe of you?",it would have been the same outburst,but with the who you accusing of not being safe thrown in,you cant win with absolute mammery glands.

I think this is correct.

Last Jan 2nd I was involved in a situation where a motorist did something very similar to me. I didn't shout at the car, merely shook my fist to show disapproval. The car slowed so I cycled up alongside and the young driver wound down his window and asked me what my problem was. I said no more than "do you realise how vulnerable cyclists are" and was met with a torrent of aggressive abuse. I took his number, but didn't report it, however, if our roads cross again I will report him.

atbman

Veteran
Yes, you really shouldn't swear at scaffolders. They work in an industry whose workers are renowned for their delicate linguistic sensibilities

col

Legendary Member
Arch;41476][QUOTE=Tynan said:

No, not according to Wobble's acount, I think you've misread that...

Frankly, the driver sounds like the sort of person to whom any swearword would be like water off a duck's back... Once again, I suspect he was using aggression to mask fear - having realised he'd cocked up good and proper, the only way to save face was to act all tough.[/QUOTE]

Yes i think he was just bluffing to cover his mistake,if he had really taken offence to a word that he probably uses all the time himself, he would have acted then gone,but he didnt,he shouted his mouth off,these people dont really want a scrap,thats why they are shouting.Now if he had started to walk at you with out saying anything,that would be the time to worry:smile:

wafflycat

Tetedelacourse;40298][quote name= said:
It may be enough to deter the guy from doing it again. It's worked for me in the past.[/B]

Why Waffly? What have you done in the past?:sad:;)[/quote]

:biggrin::biggrin:

Let me clarify; I reported twunt in car trying to knock me off bike on regular basis. After I informed plod, the twunt in car refrained from trying to knock me off. Don't know what plod said, but it worked. ;)

I think a lot of it's down to them knowing they're at fault but not wanting to admit it even to themselves. Had one the other day, was coming down a short hill only 30yards or so, to a T junction, was a bit slippy so was on both brakes so didn't indicate that I intended to turn right but was well over to the right of the lane. A middle aged women started to overtake me far too late and ended up at the T juction next to me on the wrong side of the road.
This was apparently my fault for not indicating and when I just looked at her and shook my head it really wound her up. Last thing I heard as riding away was 'don't you shake your head at me you........'.

That is a common problem if my cycling colleagues and myself are anything to go by. Drivers often don't realise that there are times when you can't release an arm to signal. I try and signal twice, once when I am approaching my braking zone, and the next if conditions at the turn mean that its safe enough. I also often give the "straight-over" signal at RABs, just because the more predictable you are, the safer you are.

Top Bottom