Sort some lights out !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I saw all the cyclists whether wearing dark clothes or fully lit up. But the ones who were fully lit up, I saw from quite a distance. The ones with dark clothes, I had to concentrate on them a lot more and were aware of them only when they were a lot closer.

Since I was on my bike, it wasn't that big a deal as our speed difference is low. And BMWs these days have night vision cameras for those cyclists who like to make themselves as invisible as possible, I'll still be able to see those suckers.

You should be concentrating a lot more when driving a car anyway.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 3938610, member: 9609"]riding a bike at night with with poor or no lights would be about as mad as scrapping trident.[/QUOTE]
Well, truly @theclaud has a point.
If you only ride urban, lit, cycle paths you don't really need more lights.
On a clear night in town even on the roads one is clearly visible.
Of course, street lighting could malfunction, one may need to leave the cycle path, the night could suddenly change from clear and starry to stormy.
Having at least one good set of lights on the bike is desirable.
I feel if we all keep accumulating powerful lights on our bikes, motorist will so get used to them that they'll stop paying attention.
Of course, if you ride off road or on unlit country lanes it's different.

mustang1

Legendary Member
You should be concentrating a lot more when driving a car anyway.

Ok. You drive in the lane with the blacked out landmines, and I'll drive in the lane where the landmines are lit up. We'll both concentrate in the road but I think I'll have less of a headache at the end of the drive. :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How does that work with car lights then? Should they be on or off?
Front ones on, back ones off.

winjim

Smash the cistern
that makes sense... I shall no longer think/say to myself "look at that idiot driving with only sidelights at this time of night." :okay:
I did start driving like that myself, since I hate to be dazzled, but my wife went bananas so I went back to dim-dips.

In my experience I find it liberally refreshing to cycle without lights. It eliminates any sort of assumptions that you may have about drivers perhaps seeing you. I only have them on the bike so I don't get stopped and lectured by Five-O, and perhaps fined.

Top Bottom