Sound maker for home office use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
What's a known brand? A lot of the old names I wanted when a kid seem to have left the market, or not very active.

Roberts seem common brand but I thought it died out as a brand decades ago and came back with DAB I guess. Kind of wonder if it was a dead or mothballed brand that got bought in name only, anyone know? They seem like they're a good DAB radio brand getting good reviews,

The trouble with bbc sounds is its only BBC. I like a few commercial radio channels. I used to have apps like tunein on my old work laptop. It was great for us radio channels but the ones i like weren't on it. I think you have to stream from their website or perhaps they have an app.

For me I think there's an advantage with DAB+ radios for having it all on one device ready to go without fuss.

Try the Tune In or Radio Garden apps. Thousands and tousands of radio stations from all over the world.

SHould have mentioned - Roberts used ot be superb and good value
but many years ago they started putting other makers internals in the cheaper versions
they may still be pretty good - but my Alarm Clock is great as a radio but rubbish as an alarm clock so I am not impressed

Sony seem good - but I have bought so little recently that things change and I may be out of date!

wormo

Guru
I bought a Pure DAB radio, which you can use as normal DAB radio, you can link to bluetooth so play spotify/BBC sounds from my phone, link to podcasts and the internet. Sound quality is ok as well.

icowden

Veteran
At work there's lockers for them, plus a load of other devices such as smartwatch. There's even a something they provide that you have to leave in lockers when visiting certain offices. You can take company provided phones but they're not common, usually only senior grades and others if they need one for the job.
The thing I find weird is that if you are allowed to work from home, then the security shouldn't need to be that high. At the company I work for, you'd be on site only if you were looking at that sort of security level. At home it's pretty much a given that you are going to have phones out, smart speakers, smart watches, iPads, other PCs, skype cams, children wandering in and out if it's holiday time etc etc. It strikes me as being as futile as those moronic announcements on flights that "you must switch your devices to flight safe mode".

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
No guarantee of security at home of course but they put a big deal on personal responsibility. There certainly is a company culture a bit that way. Nothing perfect of course. Mind you the highest security is in certain on site areas where anything their doesn't leave there. Home working security is to aim high but medium is good enough. Simple things like locking laptop when not at your desk or when someone comes in, in our house I do that plus my son doesn't come in when working.

There is a difference between phones, tablets, and computers and the way smart speakers work. The speakers have to listen to work, it's core to their function. The other devices it's a feature you can turn on or off. I've always had it turned off, disabled for security issues for myself. After I saw the prank played on a lass at my old work on her locked iPhone through voice service. Dodgy text messages and Facebook messages/posts.

In our house there's two smart speakers. My son's got one but it's never plugged in these days since his gaming computer and Spotify. There's n one in the other end of the house to the office. It's on but the plug gets turned off a lot. We've gone off them anyway, not as good as they were since various changes in service. Music was the main use and now so much is held behind premium services, even back in the day if something got too much play it went behind premium service.

icowden

Veteran
There is a difference between phones, tablets, and computers and the way smart speakers work. The speakers have to listen to work, it's core to their function. The other devices it's a feature you can turn on or off. I've always had it turned off, disabled for security issues for myself. After I saw the prank played on a lass at my old work on her locked iPhone through voice service. Dodgy text messages and Facebook messages/posts.

So just stream radio or whatever you want to listen to through your smartphone and connect it to a bluetooth speaker would seem to be the easiest and cheapest method.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
The easiest is a single box with an on/off switch. Say a radio. The cheapest is an Internet connected device you already have, say phone or tablet. The best quality might be hifi separates with a good Internet radio/dab tuner part.

In my circumstances - iffy Internet connection, several connected users, etc - the best would not be Internet connection but radio. Seriously we're in a notspot for mobile data and broadband is via a new fibre line in that's still no better than the old service. Seriously we got a new connection expecting better. We really need to carry out speed tests because I reckon we're not getting close to the guaranteed service. Until we do I can't prioritise leisure use over work use,

Top Bottom