Soup makers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Do any of you make soup using a soup maker. My wife loves hers. It is a Murphy Richards and , to be fair, it makes lovely soup...................when it works.
She only had it a few weeks and it already is blowing the RCCB socket fuse due to a malfunction.
I have read reviews on it and apparently, many people are having the same problem.
I don't feel buying another one, even a different make, if they are so unreliable so will carry on instead by just using a blender. Shame really.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Can someone answer a question for me, regarding soup makers.
What is the difference between a soup maker, and .......... a pot?
Yes I'm being serious.
After all, presumably you still have to prepare all the ingredients whether you use one or the other?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Can someone answer a question for me, regarding soup makers.
What is the difference between a soup maker, and .......... a pot?
Yes I'm being serious.
After all, presumably you still have to prepare all the ingredients whether you use one or the other?
It's basically a blender within a cooking pot.

Yeah you'd still have to prepare ingredients. I'm not a fan of the idea since for a lot of good soups you need to sweat the ingredients like the onions and garlic down in some olive oil, maybe roast some peppers, roast some spices, brown meat, brown onions etc. You can't do that when you just set everything to "boil" and then blend it.
I have no doubt a soup maker can make soup, whether it makes a good soup is up for debate I'd say. I'd rather use a pan, and a blender when it's warranted. But then I already own a blender / food processor thing, so maybe if someone doesn't have one and really likes soup, I guess it's an option.

Last edited:
I have made a few soups recently - with varying results

my soup maker is a pot and a hand held blender
I prefer soups with some 'bits' still in it so I would worry that something with an integral blender is going to leave me with mush

and - yes - if you still have to do all the pealing and chopping them the rest just needs a pot

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a Morphy Richards one. Initially I was not too keen on the idea but it has worked more or less ok now for a couple of years. I only do smooth soup with it but can have lumpy if required. For lumps there is more prep work but for a simple smooth soup it is easy.
The not ok bit is that not anything can go into it as some things burn and stick to the bottom so best avoided or added afterwards.
Tinned tomatoes and pearl barley can be a problem and you just learn by experience what to avoid.
Generally I use carrots chopped not too fine and chopped onion and a bit of cabbage or the coarse outer leaves of any cabbage as well as leaves from cauliflower. Red lentils also mostly to thicken up a bit.
Anything handy left over also goes in.
I make 5 servings at one time with one being eaten that day, two in the fridge for the next couple of days and the other two in the freezer.
I have turned into a lazy cook but it all tastes good.

I have pans and a stick blender. If I want to speed the process up, I have a pressure cooker. If I want to go out all day and have hot soup ready when I get home, I have a slow cooker. Much more flexible and versatile than a soup maker. And I bet they're a devil to clean - especially if anything 'catches'.

I'll get a soup maker the very day that they'll wash, peel and chop the veggies and caramelise the onions for me.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I have pans and a stick blender. If I want to speed the process up, I have a pressure cooker. If I want to go out all day and have hot soup ready when I get home, I have a slow cooker. Much more flexible and versatile than a soup maker. And I bet they're a devil to clean - especially if anything 'catches'.

I'll get a soup maker the very day that they'll wash, peel and chop the veggies and caramelise the onions for me.
Yup. Pan and a stick blender here. Our favourite at the moment is sweet potato and chicken with Stilton. Nom om nom....

I *am* the soup maker here... :laugh:

My current fave is leek, celeriac & potato.

I did not know that a soup maker exist. As OP is French, his posts on culinary matters are taken seriously. Must look into this. Have not actually done a soup before. Any ideas for a soup that is not local. I do like to push the food envelope a bit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Any ideas for a soup that is not local. I do like to push the food envelope a bit.
Spanish maybe? Roasted red pepper and chorizo is my favourite soup:

Get about 6 or 7 big red peppers, core and cut each pepper into 3 large "slabs", toss them in olive oil and salt, then char them skin side up under the grill until the skins are blackening and blistered. Pop them into a zip lock bag until they're almost cooled, then you can remove the skins easily.
Meanwhile sweat a large chopped onion in olive oil until it's soft and golden, then add in 2 big cloves of minced garlic plus 2 teaspoons of paprika and some diced chorizo for the last minute or two. You can make it vegan just by substituting the stock for vegetable bouillon and leaving out the chorizo.

Dice up the cooled peppers roughly and add them into the onions. Add in some chicken stock, not too much as you can always add more at the end if it's too thick.
Blend the whole mixture until smooth, add in some more diced chorizo if you like and check the seasoning. Add in a dash of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar to taste.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think we have the Morphy Richards one, im nit a soup person but do like the potato and leek, carrot and coriander , the usual offerings.
Ours has tripped a couple times, its always been because we didnt chop the veg up fine enough, the motor cant cope with coarse cut stuff, its quite sensitive, maybe a goid thing.

Top Bottom