What spices for a home made vegetable soup ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a pack of chopped mixed veg. I plan to add diced onion, celery and a stock cube.
I assume pepper, maybe a bit of salt.
Would you add any other spice ?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Cumin!!! Love it. Or smoked paprika.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cup-a-Soup is better used as a sauce.
A good one is not a bad light lunch with a slice of toast.

For a classic vegetable soup, look no further than the traditional Bouquet Garni aka bay, thyme and parsley. And a clove or two of garlic, plus black pepper. Hold the salt till the soup is done as you may not need it. Some stock cubes can be quite salty.

Outside of flavourings, other nice "extras" can be broken up spaghetti, pearl barley and split peas.

I have a pack of chopped mixed veg. I plan to add diced onion, celery and a stock cube.
I assume pepper, maybe a bit of salt.
Would you add any other spice ?
Caramelise the onion nicely first - maybe in bacon fat if you're not vegetarian. Add some cumin, garlic if you like it and the usual complement of herbs; I like to add a tin of tomatoes (reducing the total amount of liquid added to account for the tomatoes and their liquid), basil and some (cooked) chickpeas.

Caramelise the onion nicely first - maybe in bacon fat if you're not vegetarian. Add some cumin, garlic if you like it and the usual complement of herbs; I like to add a tin of tomatoes (reducing the total amount of liquid added to account for the tomatoes and their liquid), basil and some (cooked) chickpeas.
Agree with all of that, especially the bacon fat. Another vote here for smoked paprika

Top Bottom