Source of lightweight frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Bear with me, I am pretty much thinking aloud. A photo posted by Gunk in another thread (the green 'gentleman's roadster') has inspired me to try something similar. I have reasonable mechanical skills, although my cycle-specific knowledge is based on 70s/80s technology and not on the modern stuff. I'd like to get a neglected but sound lightweight frame (531 or equivalent, almost certainly) and refinish it, to be used as the basis for a custom build with quality components in keeping with a retro feel. I think I would get a lot of satisfaction out of building something up from a bare, shot blasted frame to something that was unique to me and my needs/whims.

I would imagine the place to start would be a trawl of eBay for neglected 60s/70s lightweights (although I am well aware that people are asking silly prices for these at the moment). Are there any other places I should be looking? Any thoughts welcome.

Supplementary question: is it possible to get Reynolds decals for 531 (etc) frames these days? I last had a frame refinished in about 1986, and the builder said I would have to do without the 531 decals on the new paint because the decals came as a pack with the original tube set and could not be supplied separately. It seemed fair enough to protect the 531 brand, but disappointing. I came to love the plain slate blue frame, but missed the decals! I've seen plenty of makers' decals on eBay, so I assume these are generally available.

Again, any thoughts welcome. It's only an idea at the moment, but it could well become an obsession if I let it.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Lots of Reynolds decals and old manufacturers decals available here;
https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/collections/reynolds

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The best source of a suitable frame/ donor bike might be your local Gumtree, prices tend to be lower than eBay.
Striping down the paint, enamelling and fitting with modern components won’t be cheap but would give a lot of satisfaction as you say.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve never bought a decent project off eBay, they’re just too expensive. Make contact with your local bike charity, they sometimes sell off older bikes that are beyond easy economic repair.

I buy most of mine through word of mouth, once people find out you’re into old bikes it’s amazing how many have something dusty at the back of a shed.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Thanks for the link to the decals - just what I was looking for. Will check local Gumtree too, thanks. I realise any build won't be cost-effective, but I have really enjoyed bringing my Raleigh Amazon back to life and up to date, and have a fancy to do more.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm not aware of a local bike charity, but there are plenty of local shops that might have an idea of where old, uneconomic stuff might be lurking. I was wondering - do the police still do auctions of all the bikes they recover and can't find owners for? Or is that Dixon Of Dock Green-era stuff?

Thanks for all the pointers.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@RichardB What size frame do you want ?
Only thinking as I have a few frames and bike's projects waiting in line and not going to get around to all of them .

Although I haven't been back to the UK in over a year now, I do like to see what's available on ebay and gumtree from time to time, mostly my interest is old Raleighs. Ebay seems to have become a bit of a joke with all its ridiculous asking prices, gumtree looks more promising. A chap over on faceache who runs the Raleigh Twenty section, he often goes to a local tip for stuff, getting half decent projects for next to nothing. As winter draws in, maybe more reasonable prices, but really there's a whole element of luck involved.
Anyways, as always, happy hunting :okay:

carpenter

Über Member
Hi Richard, you are right about current prices. I was watching a Raleigh/Carlton Competition on eBay a few days ago.

I have one already built up, love it, and thought that it would be great to have another (I have enough odds and sods to build up a frame).
I had thought that I would put in a bid for £60 towards end of auction. I watched and was surprised to see it go for £175 - am I being unrealistic on frame prices?
Anyway, "plenty more fish in the sea" and I can wait.

Only other thought is that it could work out more economic to buy a complete bike, strip it, sell the bits to recoup the cost, then build up what you want (although stripping bikes and selling the bits does go against my feelings to a certain extent:smile:)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well i have a Rotrax frame in that size will dig out some pics , there's also this https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/f-r-russell.220527/ sat in the shed

Here are a few of the Rotrax frame @RichardB

Top Bottom