Source of lightweight frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
You need to update your forum Signature, too.

Thanks for the reminder!

love it - can you get away with just a single crank in your part of the world? I often think that double (and triple in particular) cranks spoil the clean look of a bike - for some reason I don't mind the look of the rear derailleur :blush:

I'm thinking of a singlespeed, maybe even a fixed wheel, although it would be utter foolishness round here and I would end up walking a lot.

But a 1x9 arrangement ... hmmm. Thing is, there are bosses for gear levers on the downtube, and I don't really like having redundant bits on show. But I totally get the clean look of a single chainset. Takes me back to my first proper bike, 5 speed and grateful for all of them!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Lovely frame and fork!

I see it with 2x9 gears, lots of brushed silver and no black components.

Whatever you do with it, it will be great.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Lovely frame and fork!

I see it with 2x9 gears, lots of brushed silver and no black components.

Whatever you do with it, it will be great.

Thank you! I'm a big fan of polished alloy, although black is OK if it's done well, i.e. everything or nothing. What I'm not keen on is the modern craze for huge logos everywhere. I briefly had a modern Dawes Galaxy (a sad parody of the 90s Galaxy I used to have). The wheels weren't wheels, they were adverts. Logos will be non-existent or minimal.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
OK, I have consulted the oracles and had a good think, and have decided on the fate of the frame. Sorry if this turns out to be a long post :whistle:

1. Although the frame is in decent condition for its age (1990-95, at a guess), it has quite a few scuffs and rusty bits, and I really want the final product to be smart, so I am going to refinish it. A pro job is going to cost big bucks and I am on a strict budget, so I am going to see if I can do it myself. Might use automotive paint, or this new product Spraybike. The chromed forks are nice and I would like to keep them, but I will decide what to do with them after a session with wire wool, polish and rust killer, as there is a bit of pitting on the inside surfaces. I have ordered new 531 decals for frame and forks just in case. I'd quite like to keep the 'identity' of the bike by keeping the Williams branding, but the firm don't have any decals and it would cost an arm and a leg to get some custom made. I can't get any history on the bike from the company (and in fact I can't even find a frame number) so I don't think I am losing a lot by refinishing it as an anonymous lightweight. I'll see if I can find something witty for the downtube. Also, I plan to line the lugs, even though they are quite plain. I think lug lining adds a lot to a frame.

2. After a lot of thought, I am going to make it a singlespeed road bike for light day rides. Freewheel for now, but with the option of fixed in the future. Despite the rack and mudguard eyes and the downtube braze-ons, it will have no racks or guards, and no gears. Partly this is to keep the build simple (it's my first attempt) and keep the cost down, but also it means the bike will be different from anything else in my shed. I am not a 'collector' of bikes, and it would make no sense for me to have twenty-eight almost-identical bikes because I just happened to like them. I currently have three bikes with different functions (which makes it easier to justify to the domestic management) - an ebike for heavy loads and when I feel lazy, a vintage demi-course for sunny Sunday rides, and an older MTB for light loads, fun and general running about. A singlespeed or fixie would be sufficiently different to justify a space in the shed. I ran my original Carlton on fixed for one winter, and loved it (although I was under 30 then), so it's not a new thing for me. And also, as I have lost weight and got fitter, I'm looking for ways to challenge myself. I reckon a singlespeed with the right gearing would really challenge my hill-climbing and help me develop some strength.

3. Parts are going to be as cheap as possible while maintaining reasonable quality and durability. I have just ordered some drivetrain stuff from SJS and Tweeks, base-level Shimano or no-name items, but all with good customer reviews. If I make any mistakes in component choice, it won't be the end of the world if I have to buy again. Gearing will be 44/18 on 27" wheels, giving a gear of 66". I think I ran the Carlton on 72", but I was younger then. I'm anticipating having to get off and walk occasionally (perhaps often) but hopefully that will get less as fitness and strength improve.

I'm in no rush, and aim to complete the bike by Spring. I'll definitely do a dry build before I think of any refinishing, so that I can resolve any adjustment and compatibility issues before I have to worry about protecting paint. I'll start a new thread as soon as there is anything worth posting.

I could do with some help choosing a colour scheme. I'm torn between:

Pillar Box Red (always loved it)
Fiat Rosso Corallo (coral pink, the colour of my first electric guitar)
Pale orange (the colour of the Merlin an older boy had when I was about 12)
Citroen Mango (beautiful deep yellow)
Slate Blue (the colour of my original Carlton when I had it repainted)
Midnight Blue (always classy)
Black with gold lining (too John Player Special?)
Mint green (I just like it)
BRG (obviously).

Any thoughts welcome.

Sorry for the long post. Long night shift, not much happening, computer with internet access. Recipe for trouble - I've spent nearly £200 tonight already.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Not sure. When I contacted them, they didn't seem all that interested. "If you send us some photographs, we'll see if old Mr Williams remembers anything". That, and the absence of a frame number ... I doubt if Mercian would have made an anonymous frame for a third party, but I'm no expert.

carpenter

Über Member
Must be worth sending a few photographs, just on the off chance :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Have you considered getting the frame blasted and powder coated? Other forum members have reported decent enough results, and it would be less work than a rattle can. One problem you could well have with DIY paint, is that you ideally need a warm dry atmosphere to get good results. Painting anything made of metal in a cold damp shed or garage is not recommended if you want it to turn out well.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Yes, have thought of that. In fact, not for the first time, I am thinking of building a blast cabinet and the kit and doing the shotblasting myself. I had some Land Rover bits shotblasted locally a few years ago, and I seem to remember having difficulty finding someone to do it, and it being very expensive. Things might have improved since then, of course. Will investigate, thank you. I've never had anything powder coated. I've been a bit wary of stories of rust getting under the powder coat and doing unseen damage, and of course powder coat isn't repairable in the way a paint coat is. I shall have a think. A pro respray and stove enamel is going to be the best part of £200 if my research is correct, and that's a bit steep for me.

I'll definitely pick my day and weather if I do decide to use rattle cans, though. Cheers.

Top Bottom