Source of lightweight frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Lots to think about here, and thanks for all the input. At the moment I am thinking that a complete bike is probably not the way to go. It would mean stripping a lot of parts to get back to the frame, and like Carpenter, that goes against the grain somewhat. The F R Russell and the Orbit are just nice bikes as they are, and I wouldn't want to ruin their originality and character. I am not currently after a restoration project, more a frame as a basis for a custom build (although this will probably change, knowing me). My conscience wouldn't let me strip a decent bike for the parts.

My ideal would be a rusty old frame in good quality tubing, which I could with a clear conscience have shotblasted and stove enamelled in a nice colour, and then built up with decent components to be a - who knows, roadster, town bike, fixie, tourer, whatever the mood dictates. I'd worry that a Rotrax frame would be too good for this kind of treatment, unless it was in poor condition already. ISTR they were pretty high-end back in the day.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Was still writing that when you posted the pics. That certainly looks interesting.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bought a Carlton Giro 2 years ago for a winter project, planning a full restoration. 531 frame. & complete bike for £50 off Gumtree :okay: I got as far as stripping it all down & that's as far as it got. I was undecided on whether to attempt respray myself or have a professional job. But at around £200 thought the bike isn't worth it. Now I'm tempted to just rebuild it & leave the rust/patina effect :laugh: & maybe fit flat bars. Think mine is a 25" frame

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’ve never bought a decent project off eBay, they’re just too expensive.

I've had some excellent bargains off eBay, but you have to be patient. I only buy complete bikes though, not bare frames. All four of my 531's came from there and I paid an average price of £33 each for them.
Generally I have found that November through to March is the best time to buy if you want to spend as little as possible. I'm not actively looking ATM, as I'm not willing to pay any coronacycling premium. I'm going to wait until the market fully returns to normal, or better still, becomes flooded by used bikes. Even though most will be modern and of no interest to me, they are bound to depress lugged steel secondhand prices somewhat regardless.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Right, the deed is done. I have agreed to purchase a bare frame from another forum member, and this should be arriving in a few days. Plan is to assess condition and finish and decide whether to repaint or leave as-is. Then a lot of thinking about what to do with it. I have a lot of things I would like to do, but will need a bit of thought and a few beers before the ideas settle down. Will start a new thread when I get started. Thanks to everyone here for the input. Much apporeciated.

otherself

Fully lugged in.
Your best bet is gumtree. eBay prices have rocketed since covid lockdown, as middle age gents look to splash cash on dream 531 machines from their childhood. YouTubers like "old shovel" and "red_dread" have got people into renovations too.

Look for misspellings on gumtree, or basic titles like "vintage bicycle" or "mens road bike". Detailed titles with "531" will take more interests and be bought quickly. I recently got an elswick Lincoln imp, 531 tubes, complete bike for 60 pounds off gumtree. Picked up locally in Lincolnshire. Lovely deep red burgandy frame with Celeste coloured headtube and contrasts. I'm putting modernist cranks and Tri bar on it for a fixed gear. Sold the Williams chainset, levers and brakes for a combined 75 pound on eBay. The Mansfield saddle alone is worth at least £40 second hand but I'm keeping it.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Well, it has arrived! Many thanks to Biggs682 for superb packaging and dispatch. Condition is as expected, and the whole thing is surprisingly light. I've got some thinking to do now, as to the direction I want to take. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. When I get started on it, I will start a new one. Working nights this week, which is good and bad. Bad, because I don't get any bike time. Good, because I get some down time with internet access, so will be doing a lot of window shopping.

Just arrived (11) small.jpg

Just arrived (13) small.jpg

Just arrived (14) small.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
love it - can you get away with just a single crank in your part of the world? I often think that double (and triple in particular) cranks spoil the clean look of a bike - for some reason I don't mind the look of the rear derailleur :blush:

Top Bottom