sourcing replacement chain ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard.1

I use a second hand 2009 Spezialise Vita Elite with a Sora triple - 8 speed for my commute. Being new to bikes I have not been looking after it well. Recently changed the chain due to gear problems. The old chain was really well stretched, probably over 1.0. Anyway still some gear change problems and looking at the bike today I see both the cassette and the chain rings are worn. My plan was to change both but not really sure if I can still buy a replacement chain ring set or do I need to buy the individual rings? The cassette I can find on-line, no problem.
Anyone tell me where I might get a replacement or a compatible upgrade.
Thanks

the snail

Guru
spa cycles and chain reaction both have a good selection

winjim

Smash the cistern
Chainrings are a consumable part, there's no need to replace the entire chainset. Any LBS will be able to source them.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would start with the cassette first and only do the chain rings if that does not solve the problem. How many chains and cassettes have you been though so far in your years of ownership?

OP
OP
R

Richard.1

I have only had the bike 18 months, bought it second hand from my local lbs. done maybe 1300 miles. I did not know to check for chain wear until my recent problems so have only just changed my chain for the first time.
thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
R

Richard.1

I have ordered a new cassette but by the time it arrives and I have time to fit it, it will be week or so. Is my new chain OK with the old cassette for a week or should I avoid using the bike until I can fit the new cassette?

vickster

Legendary Member
If sure it'll be fine for a week, just minimise gear changes and especially cross chaining

Ajax Bay

Guru
And if the new cassette doesn't sort this, then it's quite likely that you'll only need to replace the middle chainwheel as that's the one that'll have had most use (and therefor have suffered during the extended period of use with the stretched chain).

Ajax Bay

Guru

OP
OP
R

Richard.1

thanks for the info people. I changed the cassette but stupidly only checked compatibility and not number of teeth. I ended up with a new chain that was too short for my cassette :wacko:. Luckily i had kept the links i took off the new chain but had no way of joining without ordering new quick links. 3 days later i had a new chain and new cassette which actually were compatible. Now to try for a while and see how it goes.

Top Bottom