South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Another view from South Africa (via the BBC website):

"If anyone tells you it's a denial of true South African football culture to denigrate the vuvuzela, they're talking big heaps of rhinoshit.

They're only used at matches in SA to make it sound like there's a crowd. Most SA Premier League matches are held in big stadia attended by 2 men and a zebra unless Chiefs / Pirates are playing (think Old Firm, and only a little less stabby). And most people in SA hate them too."

Hmm. National culture, eh?

And the players are complaining that it makes it impossible to hear each other on the pitch - a certain Messi was particularly vociferous about his - you know he is the by all accounts incredibly polite and gracious world's best player.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Anyway, that's enough about this from me, anyone would think I actually cared...

I think you do care, and a lot of people do.
If this is culture, and if perchance there is a linkage with former Dutch culture (viz. the link I posted to Ajax), let's just hope the linkage doesn't go Dutch -> Boer -> Afrikaans -> Verwoerd -> Botha ... :becool::angry::smile:

i have relatives in SA and they say that they're not simply blown at football matches, they're blown from about at 5am onwards all day long in the streets.

they're a menace.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Joke from a friend of mine:
The South Africa World Cup is a bit like marriage: you know you should be enjoying it but there`s this annoying noise in the background all the time.
:ohmy:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
661-Pete said:
I think you do care, and a lot of people do.

Oh, I am interested, I just don't care about the outcome of this 'discussion'.

ChrisKH

Guru
Fnaar said:
Joke from a friend of mine:
The South Africa World Cup is a bit like marriage: you know you should be enjoying it but there`s this annoying noise in the background all the time.
:wahhey:

And like any marriage, you become used to it and miss it when it's gone. :ohmy:

Yup I think one does get used to the incessant B-flat drone and edits it out of one's system after a while.

Mind you, it'll probably be a while before I can bring myself to listen to a performance of, say:
Beethoven's 'Hammerklavier' sonata op.106*
Brahms' Piano Concerto no. 2 op. 83**
Schumann's Symphony no. 1 'Spring' op. 38***
and many others...:biggrin:

*in B flat.
**in B flat.
***in B flat.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Do you think some are more tolerant than others because their wives/husbands have more elements of a B Flat tone in their voice so they are used to blocking out that particular noise?

Top Bottom