South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Debian said:
On today's news:

A World Cup spokesman insisted vuvuzelas are "ingrained in the history of South Africa" and will remain.

There's a surprise ;) Spineless as usual IMHO.

Why is it spineless? :thumbsup:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Debian said:
Because it's a cop out.

Initially I thought you were just one of the usual ignorant brits that expect people in other countries to change their normal behaviour when we come to stay... but you just have nothing valid to say.

dragon72

Guru
FIFA have said that they wouldn't consider banning them unless people were, say, throwing them on the pitch.
A thinly veiled invitation if I've ever heard one...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wigsie said:
Initially I thought you were just one of the usual ignorant brits that expect people in other countries to change their normal behaviour when we come to stay... but you just have nothing valid to say.

Whereas you do? You've failed to deal with debian's point on the history of the vuvezala and have yet to say why being 'cultural' equals being either 'good', 'acceptable' or any any other positive value you might want to consider.

I knew this was nothing new. Good old youtube! A simple search: Here is the 1972 European Cup, played in Holland, a long way from Africa, with two European clubs playing, also a long way from Africa, and I doubt if there were all that many African fans in the crowd. And in those days there were precious few African players in any of the European teams, certainly not in these two, certainly not from the then apartheid-stifled South Africa.

Recognise anything familiar in the soundtrack? Still want to convince us of this traditional 'African' thing?

OK so it's a craze which African fans have picked up on. If it were totally harmless and non-intimidatory, fine, let them have their fun. But I'm not convinced that it is harmless nor non-intimidatory....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
661-Pete said:
I knew this was nothing new. Good old youtube! A simple search: Here is the 1972 European Cup, played in Holland, a long way from Africa, with two European clubs playing, also a long way from Africa, and I doubt if there were all that many African fans in the crowd.

Yep, somebody mentioned this earlier - there were some Dutch clubs who adopted these 'toy trumpets' to try to silence the opposing fans. Nice find!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's a plastic trumpet. If you don't like it then turn the sound down / off.
At least it drowns out the repetitive and boring chants.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User1314 said:
That bloody english brass band that plays the same tune at every England game are far more irritating. Think they would have learnt a new song by now. At least the Vuvus drowns them out.

My kids want one.

:eek:

I agree...
And the air-horns at British matches.
While we're at it, can we ban that bloody organ thing at Ice-Hockey matches? IIRC musical interludes are finding their way into another sport...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
4F said:
It's a plastic trumpet. If you don't like it then turn the sound down / off.
At least it drowns out the repetitive and boring chants.

It's several thousand plastic trumpets. And I am not sure why you think it being a plastic trumpet is an argument in favour.

And it drowns out everything else. So you get absolutely none of the different ways that different countries have of supporting their teams. Chants, bands, songs, cheering, clapping - everything else is drowned out.

Why should anyone respect something that is specifically designed to have no respect for anyone else?

Top Bottom