South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
darkstar said:
I think people are getting slightly confused here, vuvuzela's are part of South African football culture, not South African culture. Small but important point.

And this is a football tournament not a cultural festival is it not?

I am more than aware of much of South African history and culture, I get annoyed when people romanticise the place now and get upset when there are not groups singing and gently humming slave songs or tribes of Zulu warriors in the stands chanting and bashing their shields together at carefully pre approved/selected periods through out the game.

Maybe.

Another thing we ought to remember (yep, the cynic in me again!) is that football is largely about money, and big money at that! So if the big advertisers start pulling their ads from ITV and the other big commercial channels; if their reasoning is, people are watching the WC with the MUTE button pressed so why should we waste money on costly ad space where the soundtrack is everything ... if that's their line of reasoning, then the TV companies better sit up and take notice! And then...?!

darkstar

Wigsie said:
And this is a football tournament not a cultural festival is it not?

I am more than aware of much of South African history and culture, I get annoyed when people romanticise the place now and get upset when there are not groups singing and gently humming slave songs or tribes of Zulu warriors in the stands chanting and bashing their shields together at carefully pre approved/selected periods through out the game.
Of course it is, but I cant let someone suggest that they are an integral part of South African culture.

I don't think people expect them to be singing slave song, but you can't deny that African are famous for their singing. People sing everywhere, even after completing the world cup stadium, the workers sang. I just think this could be used to create a fantastic atmosphere, and they would have more fun doing it, instead of mindlessly blowing a horn for the full 90 minutes. Just mu opinion though.

darkstar

661-Pete said:
Maybe.

Another thing we ought to remember (yep, the cynic in me again!) is that football is largely about money, and big money at that! So if the big advertisers start pulling their ads from ITV and the other big commercial channels; if their reasoning is, people are watching the WC with the MUTE button pressed so why should we waste money on costly ad space where the soundtrack is everything ... if that's their line of reasoning, then the TV companies better sit up and take notice! And then...?!
Have to say i'm watching the Holland game with the mute on, listening to music and eating lunch. MUCH better than listening to the swarm of flies. ;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
darkstar said:
Of course it is, but I cant let someone suggest that they are an integral part of South African culture.

I don't think people expect them to be singing slave song, but you can't deny that African are famous for their singing. People sing everywhere, even after completing the world cup stadium, the workers sang. I just think this could be used to create a fantastic atmosphere, and they would have more fun doing it, instead of mindlessly blowing a horn for the full 90 minutes. Just mu opinion though.

IF your discussing culture in the context of world football in a sub forum entitled World Cup 2010 Cafe then its safe to assume someone is talking about Football culture.

Apologies if I was unclear, but I am not talking about their ancestors culture or heritage. Its their culture now, at football games and as we are seeing now football tournaments.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wigsie said:
Just because its not been born out of some romanticised story of struggling Africans and slavery does not mean its not cultural.

Everything is 'cultural', Wigsie. But that doesn't mean you have to suspend your aesthetic or ethical judgment as soon as someone uses the word.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
darkstar said:
I think people are getting slightly confused here, vuvuzela's are part of South African football culture, not South African culture. Small but important point.

And, to add to the point I just made, hooliganism is part of Britain's football culture. It doesn't mean we should accept it or encourage it.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
The are a massive pain in the neck. I wanted to watch the German Australia game last night, but couldn't take the infernal racket.

south africa (and africa) would have been hoping that people would go away from the world cup with fond memories of the country and football but in reality, people will go away thinking 'fcuk that was annoying' and 'never again'. it may be their modern football culture but it does them no favours whatsoever.

it's bad enough on telly, if i'd paid £100 for a ticket and the twunt next to me blew one of those in my ear for 2 hours, i'd want my money back.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
We have a drummer and a couple horn player in the north stand at The Valley, and that's bad enough (and I usually sit in the west) although it's not incessant.

dragon72

Guru
Personally I think it's added an interesting dimension to the game.
Every game is crowd-neutral, as they all (even the hosts) have their support drowned out, so it's all about the players on the pitch.

You can look at it in different ways:
The opposition's 12th man has been silenced
Your own team's 12th man has been silenced
Your own team's 12th man is annoying your own lot as much as he is annoying the opposition

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

reiver said:
Yes it would be far more entertaining for us if they did just that, but they are not there to entertain us, they are there to relax and enjoy themselves, and mindlessly blowing a one note plastic horn for 90 minutes is there idea of a good time. Good luck to them

I was so pleased to switch the tele off after the England game, I went outside and listened to a song thrush singing, how fantastic, made me realize what a waste I had made of the last 90 minutes

+1

I had a similar experience. I'm not sure I'll watch any more of the games which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

dragon72 said:
Personally I think it's added an interesting dimension to the game.
Every game is crowd-neutral, as they all (even the hosts) have their support drowned out, so it's all about the players on the pitch.

You can look at it in different ways:
The opposition's 12th man has been silenced
Your own team's 12th man has been silenced
Your own team's 12th man is annoying your own lot as much as he is annoying the opposition

.... or you can say that as the players can't communicate with each other on the pitch that a lot of the teamwork has been stolen from the games thus bringing down the entire enjoyment of the competition.

darkstar

Debian said:
+1

I had a similar experience. I'm not sure I'll watch any more of the games which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.
Just watch with the sound turned off, whack some music on and there you go. Watching games at our local is great, the sounds off and everyone ca talk about the game.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

On today's news:

A World Cup spokesman insisted vuvuzelas are "ingrained in the history of South Africa" and will remain.

There's a surprise ;) Spineless as usual IMHO.

Top Bottom