South Birmingham and Black Country Social Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
Ok So stats !
Last time we did 21.6miles in 1 Hour 41 mins Moving Time climbing 1577 feet
Today we did 21 miles in 1 Hour 42 Mins Moving time climbing 1822 feet.

Oh and burning 1095 Kcals.

Good ride today felt a lot better than last time and looks like this could turn into a regular event.

I'll enjoy my pub lunch now !!

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I enjoyed it, was nice to be in company, found the hills challenging my legs didn't feel up to the task, but I think when you don't know the route your not sure what to expect and whats round the next corner, but having done it i'm sure I will cope with them better next time and hopefully they will get less painfull! that will come with more time in the saddle.

Hope to go out again soon. Its what I needed when riding alone you can get complacent and stop pushing yourself as much. My legs know they`ve done it now though there tighting up nicely lol.

I've put some of those calories back on already I decided on a bacon buttie when I got back, I think I could start a bacon buttie habit myself!

Downward

Guru
Seriously 2nd time around is easier. 1st time I really struggled up the last hill but today we did a lot more climbing and big thanks to the Bianchi guy for pacing me up the hill !!

Bianchi2010.jpg

Wobblers

Euthermic
Downward said:
Seriously 2nd time around is easier. 1st time I really struggled up the last hill but today we did a lot more climbing and big thanks to the Bianchi guy for pacing me up the hill !!

We'll have Bianchi Guy next time! It does get easier the second time around - you know what to expect and how to pace yourself. My computer gave a average rolling speed of 14 mph which is quite respectable given the hills we did.

Thanks for the company, I find it helps me go further than I would on my own.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just tracked the route from my front door and including the ride, and I did very nearly 40 miles today - so nearly that the slight detour in Fairfield probably made it up to the full 40. And over 2,800 feet of climbing too. No wonder I'm feeling shattered this afternoon.

A little tip - the quiet Scottish one is secretly a cycling legend. He left me for dead going up the Halesowen by-pass.

Up for it again - I conquered my nemesis - Rose Hill up to Lickeys, so we'll have to put Downward's torment to bed, and tackle Hagley Wood Lane without giving up.

Downward

Guru
1st Hill - Romsley - From 416 feet to 938 feet (522 feet over 1.7 miles)
2nd Hill -Rose Hill Lickey hills 659 feet to 941 feet (282 feet over 0.7 miles)
3rd Hill - Clent 610 feet to 889 feet (279 feet over 0.9 miles)

Hagley Wood Lane is 567 feet to 889 Feet (322 feet over 0.7 miles)
Mucklow hill is 390 to 757 feet (367 feet over 0.8 miles)

Downward

Guru
BrumJim said:
Just tracked the route from my front door and including the ride, and I did very nearly 40 miles today - so nearly that the slight detour in Fairfield probably made it up to the full 40. And over 2,800 feet of climbing too. No wonder I'm feeling shattered this afternoon.

A little tip - the quiet Scottish one is secretly a cycling legend. He left me for dead going up the Halesowen by-pass.

Up for it again - I conquered my nemesis - Rose Hill up to Lickeys, so we'll have to put Downward's torment to bed, and tackle Hagley Wood Lane without giving up.

Indeed I said he should have paced us up those hills.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

I've only ever tried Rose Hill once and that was almost 20 years ago. These days I turn right after the Barnt Green Inn, past the station and right into Twatling Road. It's a longer climb but more enjoyable.

Do you have a constant smirk on your face climbing Twatling Road to get to Lickey End. Or have you grown up more than me?

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Suggest we take this weekend off (due to poor weather and me needing to be back home before 11:00), and pencil in either the Monday, or an early one the following week.

Downward

Guru
BrumJim said:
Suggest we take this weekend off (due to poor weather and me needing to be back home before 11:00), and pencil in either the Monday, or an early one the following week.

Yeah fine - I am out Monday so can't do then.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
i'm easy on. I'll probably be out over the weekend keep my legs moving. Just say when you want to go next week for another marathon climbing session!

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Same climb up Romsley, and same climb up the Clents, but no Lickey climb.

How about a different route covering Hagley Wood Lane and Mucklow Hill? Or a flatter but longer route?

Anyone up for a bit of route generation/guiding?

Top Bottom