South Downs Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A friend and I have planned a 2 day trip of the SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne.
Should be fun.
Haven't loaded up all the kit yet, but should be able to keep it lightweight as it's just 1 night.

Has anyone else cycled the SDW? Just trying to locate a discreet field to sleep for the night. Imagine as long as we are off the track a little it should be no problem.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I've cycled some of the SDW. I found parts of it really uneven. I resorted to cycling on the road for certain sections. I would say (a) You need a mountain bike (definitely not suitable for a road bike) and (b) not suitable for rear panniers if they are very wide.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I live in Upper beeding on the South Downs way. if its convenient you're more than welcome to pitch up in my garden.

That's exceedingly kind of you.
We really want to carefully and discreetly wild camp somewhere. But if we chicken out of that nearer the time I'll let you know!

A friend and I have planned a 2 day trip of the SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne.
Should be fun.
Haven't loaded up all the kit yet, but should be able to keep it lightweight as it's just 1 night.

Has anyone else cycled the SDW? Just trying to locate a discreet field to sleep for the night. Imagine as long as we are off the track a little it should be no problem.
The Southdown way can be quite a tough ride, more so if you are carring camping kit it would easier to allow three days to do it. I have ridden it a few times in both directions, I would suggest somewhere around Amberley would be ideal for your first night stop. There are a few wild camping sites in the area, the main one is in the Amberley Chalk pits, there is a small free campsite along the road called "high Twittens" I have camped up in the bushes at Devils Dyke prior to Saddlecombe farm where they have a backpackers camp site. I have camped on the tops beyound Firle Beacon, and near to Jevington.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thread revival.

My mate has suggested South Downs Way this for a weekend away. Although the full 100 miles over 2 days seems relatively knackering / ambitious, particularly if we need to fanny around on the Sunday to take a train back to pick up car(s).

Researching I see there is also a Downs Link Path from Shoreham to Guildford. Maybe picking up the SDW just south of Petersfield, overnighting in a Shoreham B&B / hotel and then up to Guildford the next day for train back to Pfield, might be a more enjoyable option.

SDW is defo a hard tail MTB not a gravel bike surface from what i can see (I guess technically do-able on gravel bike with fat tyres but comfier on a MTB) and a huge amount of up and down

The Downs link looked pretty gentle for Day 2.

We're mid 50's but collectively do more road than MTB nowadays, and the lad who suggested it does a bit more MTB, but is the least fit.

Any thoughts?

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Your plan is definitely do-able but depending on your MTB level and weather Day 1 will be pretty tough but the views and riding experience should compensate. It's easy to pick up the SDW from Petersfield using the cycle paths up to Queen Elizabeth Park. There are some steep but relatively short climbs throughout the route, the surface is very rough in places and the chalk can become slippery after just a modest shower. There are plenty of easy sections however on weekends, especially sunny ones, the SDW is quite busy with walkers and cyclists of all abilities, all of which tend to slow progress. You'll need to carry plenty of snacks as there are only limited opportunities on the SDW itself. The Flint Barn cafe, at the junction with the A286 at Cocking hill is a popular coffee/lunch stop, right on the SDW itself.
There are plenty of points of interest for example, 2 not far from your intended start;
- just to the east of Treyford hill there is a WW2 Luftwaffe airman's memorial by the trail. It's often got a small bunch of fresh flowers by it.

I seem to remember it has a photo as well last time I went by
- just a little further east there's a series of ancient burial mounds, the Devil's Jumps
The Downs link is very gentle in comparison with plenty of refreshment opportunities. To be honest in places it's not the greatest cycling experience on summer Sundays as it's a magnet for horse riders, dog walkers and family strolls but if you're prepared to accept slow going around the more populated areas it'll still be fun.
A couple of photos from last summer, above Cocking hill and by the Devils Jumps information board..

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cheers @Ridgeback Roller. A gentle Sunday might be appreciated after a gnarly Saturday. Aiming for June so hopefully the weather will be kind but no guarantees.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Did it over 4 days quite a few years back with pubs in the evening. We had 4 dry days, hopefully you’ll get the same. There are some water taps along the route. If you visit the official website I’m sure there is a map that shows their location.

Should be fun.

Did you do it Ben ? How did it go ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Did it over 4 days quite a few years back with pubs in the evening. We had 4 dry days, hopefully you’ll get the same. There are some water taps along the route. If you visit the official website I’m sure there is a map that shows their location.
Yes there is a useful PDF with route, elevations, mileages etc on it. It was seeing the route profile that got me questioning Adams' "plan" to do all 100 miles in 2 days. i think he defo needs something less severe, otherwise he'll be moaning all weekend!

You asked for thoughts, here are a few:

My mate has suggested South Downs Way this for a weekend away.
At first glance, I thought you wanted to ride this weekend...put right by your next post about sometime in june - a much better option IMO!

Maybe picking up the SDW just south of Petersfield, overnighting in a Shoreham B&B / hotel and then up to Guildford the next day for train back to Pfield, might be a more enjoyable option.
if you are happy to do the the Petersfield to Shoreham leg, then this is very do-able.
You do not need to go all the way down to Shoreham. You can drop down off the SDW into Steyning, stay overnight there - both B&B and hotel options, would recommend the former - and pick up the Downs Link from Steyning.

SDW is defo a hard tail MTB not a gravel bike surface
Folk who want the full 100 mile experience would opt for MTB. Certainly more suitable. However, gravel bike could easily cope. With one caveat - no rain in previous 7 days! I ride a small - very rough in places + steep gradients - section of SDW near me on an old BSO with 700 x 38 tyres, they are hardly MTB knobbly, probably over-inflated for the surface. All cope fine - apart from rider sometimes!

a huge amount of up and down
This is the whole point of the Downs!

The Downs link looked pretty gentle for Day 2.
If you can manage Day 1 reasonably, then Day 2 will be a breeze. Dull even. And boring after about 10 minutes. Or at least the section from Partridge Green to Southwater. (The section from Shoreham to Steyning is more interesting).
It is very flat. I recognize this might be appealing after Day 1's exertions!
---

There are some steep but relatively short climbs throughout the route, the surface is very rough in places and the chalk can become slippery after just a modest shower.
Very true.
weekends, especially sunny ones, the SDW is quite busy with walkers and cyclists of all abilities, all of which tend to slow progress
True, but much of it is wide where progress is not slowed hugely. Also used by equestrians. Livestock can also cause obstacles but they are generally benign and out of the way.
You'll need to carry plenty of snacks
Refuelling may also be taken off the SDW but this can be time consuming. Planning required.
---

There are some water taps along the route
Indeed, but not to be relied upon. Sometimes they are out of order. Re-fill bidons before you need to.
---

Am very familiar with Amberley to Steyning area in general and a little less a bit beyond in all 4 compass points. Any specific queries bike related or otherwise, ask away.

And once you have enjoyed your easy weekend, you can consider a proper challenge - the South Downs Double. See here.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You asked for thoughts, here are a few:

At first glance, I thought you wanted to ride this weekend...put right by your next post about sometime in june - a much better option IMO!

if you are happy to do the the Petersfield to Shoreham leg, then this is very do-able.
You do not need to go all the way down to Shoreham. You can drop down off the SDW into Steyning, stay overnight there - both B&B and hotel options, would recommend the former - and pick up the Downs Link from Steyning.

Folk who want the full 100 mile experience would opt for MTB. Certainly more suitable. However, gravel bike could easily cope. With one caveat - no rain in previous 7 days! I ride a small - very rough in places + steep gradients - section of SDW near me on an old BSO with 700 x 38 tyres, they are hardly MTB knobbly, probably over-inflated for the surface. All cope fine - apart from rider sometimes!

This is the whole point of the Downs!

If you can manage Day 1 reasonably, then Day 2 will be a breeze. Dull even. And boring after about 10 minutes. Or at least the section from Partridge Green to Southwater. (The section from Shoreham to Steyning is more interesting).
It is very flat. I recognize this might be appealing after Day 1's exertions!
---

Very true.

True, but much of it is wide where progress is not slowed hugely. Also used by equestrians. Livestock can also cause obstacles but they are generally benign and out of the way.

Refuelling may also be taken off the SDW but this can be time consuming. Planning required.
---

Indeed, but not to be relied upon. Sometimes they are out of order. Re-fill bidons before you need to.
---

Am very familiar with Amberley to Steyning area in general and a little less a bit beyond in all 4 compass points. Any specific queries bike related or otherwise, ask away.

And once you have enjoyed your easy weekend, you can consider a proper challenge - the South Downs Double. See here.
That hugely helpful thanks. Need to give a bit of thought to Day 2....

Are there any other alternatives than either the flat & potentially boring Downs link to Guildford or another tough 40 miles of SWD to Eastbourne, some sort of happy Medium that ends with access to a train to get back to Petersfield?

We could of course leave plans open see how Saturday goes and decide on Saturday evening whether to go hard or soft on Sunday as I assume (is it southern rail & SW rail) are a turn up and go with the bikes, no prebooking required?

That hugely helpful thanks. Need to give a bit of thought to Day 2....

Are there any other alternatives than either the flat & potentially boring Downs link to Guildford or another tough 40 miles of SWD to Eastbourne, some sort of happy Medium that ends with access to a train to get back to Petersfield?

We could of course leave plans open see how Saturday goes and decide on Saturday evening whether to go hard or soft on Sunday as I assume (is it southern rail & SW rail) are a turn up and go with the bikes, no prebooking required?
Will have a think and get back to you...

Top Bottom