South Downs Way

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by benb, 28 Aug 2019.

1. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

A friend and I have planned a 2 day trip of the SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne.
    Should be fun.
    Haven't loaded up all the kit yet, but should be able to keep it lightweight as it's just 1 night.

Has anyone else cycled the SDW? Just trying to locate a discreet field to sleep for the night. Imagine as long as we are off the track a little it should be no problem.

2. overmind

overmind My other bike is a Pinarello

I've cycled some of the SDW. I found parts of it really uneven. I resorted to cycling on the road for certain sections. I would say (a) You need a mountain bike (definitely not suitable for a road bike) and (b) not suitable for rear panniers if they are very wide.

3. Weston7610

Weston7610 Active Member

I live in Upper beeding on the South Downs way. if its convenient you're more than welcome to pitch up in my garden.

Blue Hills, benb and SpokeyDokey like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

That's exceedingly kind of you.
    We really want to carefully and discreetly wild camp somewhere. But if we chicken out of that nearer the time I'll let you know!

Weston7610 likes this.
  5. Ticktockmy

Ticktockmy Veteran

The Southdown way can be quite a tough ride, more so if you are carring camping kit it would easier to allow three days to do it. I have ridden it a few times in both directions, I would suggest somewhere around Amberley would be ideal for your first night stop. There are a few wild camping sites in the area, the main one is in the Amberley Chalk pits, there is a small free campsite along the road called "high Twittens" I have camped up in the bushes at Devils Dyke prior to Saddlecombe farm where they have a backpackers camp site. I have camped on the tops beyound Firle Beacon, and near to Jevington.

6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy The Monch

Plenty of places if you stop high and don't get your kit out till it's turning dark. Have fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice