South Downs Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Thread revival.
Two old friends who I haven't seen for 20 years have invited me to join them cycling the SDW at the end of August. They'll be on high end bikes (one on a CX 29er hardtail, the other on a Brother Mehteh gravel bike with 650b plus tyres) my options are:

1) alloy bike with 40mm semi - slicks

2) steel bike with 40mm semi slicks

3) Fit the CX 26er hardtail with a big crank and have more fun on the climbs/descents but struggle on the flats.

Buy some gravel tyres... I'm thinking 45mm kenda Flint Ridge should fit on the alloy bike or 40mm WTB Nanos

Any thoughts?

The logistics haven't been worked out yet, though there has been talk about doing it in a day with a 5am start :blink:

The hardtail would be the most fun but I'd have to be out of the saddle most of the time just to keep up.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd go with the 26 hardtail. That's what I did and I'm glad I talked myself out of using my gravel bike, despite the MTB being a pretty old heavy and low end Careera.

For one there isn't much flat, it's mainly up or down and the surface is quite rough in places, you'll be glad of suspension on the descents, and the lower gears on the climbs.

Unless you are seriously fit or a masochist, dont try to do it all in one day.

Attachments

• 20220625_135906.jpg
    20220625_135906.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
I'd go with the 26 hardtail. That's what I did and I'm glad I talked myself out of using my gravel bike, despite the MTB being a pretty old heavy and low end Careera.

For one there isn't much flat, it's mainly up or down and the surface is quite rough in places, you'll be glad of suspension on the descents, and the lower gears on the climbs.

Unless you are seriously fit or a masochist, dont try to do it all in one day.
Thanks, I'll try to talk my friends out of doing it in a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom