South Downs Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Did you do it Ben ? How did it go ?

Sorry, been total radio silence on this forum for ages. Just kind of got out of the habit, you know?

Anyway, we did do this, sort of.
It was in October, which was a bit silly as trying to camp under a tarp was quite chilly.
The weather was poor, and sections were quite badly flooded. We didn't make it all the way, and bailed about 2/3rds down.

But it has potential, and I'd give it another go with better weather.

Sorry, been total radio silence on this forum for ages. Just kind of got out of the habit, you know?

Anyway, we did do this, sort of.
It was in October, which was a bit silly as trying to camp under a tarp was quite chilly.
The weather was poor, and sections were quite badly flooded. We didn't make it all the way, and bailed about 2/3rds down.

But it has potential, and I'd give it another go with better weather.
Thanks for the reply/inspiration.
Yes, tarping/bivvying can be a challenge - I've always been lucky with weather when doing it.
Might be an idea to check out the snugpak ionosphere tent. I've freecamped in mine in terrible weather - and it is actually more compact than my army Bivi.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That hugely helpful thanks. Need to give a bit of thought to Day 2....

Are there any other alternatives than either the flat & potentially boring Downs link to Guildford or another tough 40 miles of SWD to Eastbourne, some sort of happy Medium that ends with access to a train to get back to Petersfield?

We could of course leave plans open see how Saturday goes and decide on Saturday evening whether to go hard or soft on Sunday as I assume (is it southern rail & SW rail) are a turn up and go with the bikes, no prebooking required?
I did Winchester to Ditchling Beacon in one day, back in the day. I bailed there as I live a couple of miles away!

I'd recommend carrying on from your overnight and pull the plug on Day 2 when you've had enough or run out of time. There are lots of railway stations that are easily reached from Shoreham to Eastbourne. Hove, Brighton, Lewes, Glynde, Berwick etc etc.

The Downs Link is a dull alternative!

Rocky

Hello decadence
I did Winchester to Ditchling Beacon in one day, back in the day. I bailed there as I live a couple of miles away!

I'd recommend carrying on from your overnight and pull the plug on Day 2 when you've had enough or run out of time. There are lots of railway stations that are easily reached from Shoreham to Eastbourne. Hove, Brighton, Lewes, Glynde, Berwick etc etc.

And you should also mention that you ran (on a number of occasions) the 80 miles from Petersfield to Eastbourne in approx 12 hrs........don't hide your light under a bushel, Rich

don't you rate the south downs way from ditchling to eastbourne?

Tenkaykev

Guru
And you should also mention that you ran (on a number of occasions) the 80 miles from Petersfield to Eastbourne in approx 12 hrs........don't hide your light under a bushel, Rich
I was just thinking about the run from QE country park to the Rugby club in Eastbourne. Mrs Tenkaykev and I ran it on several occasions before we became Mr & Mrs Tenkaykev. 12 hours is an excellent time, especially if you stopped for main course and pudding at Truleigh Hill 😁

Rocky

Hello decadence
I was just thinking about the run from QE country park to the Rugby club in Eastbourne. Mrs Tenkaykev and I ran it on several occasions before we became Mr & Mrs Tenkaykev. 12 hours is an excellent time, especially if you stopped for main course and pudding at Truleigh Hill 😁
I also ran it. Somewhat slower than Rich …. But I was quite proud of my 16 hrs odd in 1989.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I also ran it. Somewhat slower than Rich …. But I was quite proud of my 16 hrs odd in 1989.
I ran it the year Martin Daykin ran 9:52 😮 On another occasion I was doing support and the lady who was to become Mrs Tenkaykev was having a flyer and was certainly going to improve on my best effort. That was until she left Bo Peep and managed to run off course to arrive back at Bo Peep...
I always thought that starting it at 8:00 am instead of 9:30 would have improved finishing times, as once you lost the light your pace dropped and it was so easy to go off course ( especially if the cows had knocked over the lights in the big field )

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I also did the Downs Link from Guildford to Shoreham-on-Sea

That's pretty nice, and easy in one day, but best to leave it until there's been a week of dry weather.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
All planned in for 2 weekends time.

Ended up getting accommodation near Southwick / Shoreham for both nights, down to hobson's choice, but actually make a bit of sense as saves carrying any overnight luggage.

Plan was Saturday train to Chichester and then head north to pick up SDW east of Cocking and follow it to Steyning and then drop down to accommodation.
Sunday head back up to Steyning to pick up SDW east to Southease, then drop down to coast and back up thru Brighton to pick up the cars.
both roughly 40 miles. might have a toddle up the downs link and back on friday if there early enough.

Train strike may well bugger up Saturdays plan so as an alternative was looking at picking up Monarchs way at Botolphs / Steyning to Amberley and then pick up SDW back again so no reliance on trains at all.

@Shadow I think you have some local knowledge from your offline help, is the Monarch's Way pretty similar terrain to SDW ? Google research suggests its MTB-able as seems better to do a loop than an out and back.
cheers

It s amazing how little we use what is on our doorstep. I've hauled out my OS map to look at the Monarchs Way. I have not set foot or bike on any part that is off-road between Arundel in the west and beyond Upper Beeding in the east. And weirdly, unlikely to as I'm quite happy to potter on the SDW when I get bored of the local roads! So I cannot offer any guidance to its suitability. My guess is that it would not be as wide as SDW in places or it could be tractor track wide. However, if its anything like other local bridleways or SDW, and we have not had much big rain in the 3 or 4 days preceding, I would guess it would be fine for your purposes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So I'm back home with tired legs....Hats off to people who do epic distances off road, as predominantly a road / light gravel rider it did make a lovely change but you do need to temper your mileage expectations / average speeds.

Ended up getting down to a Booking.com garden flat in Southwick early afternoon on Friday, so did a gentle reccy up the Downs Link to Partridge Green for a pint in the Partridge and back. Nice warm up and very flat, dead easy to navigate and nice variety of scenery.

Day 2 original plan went out of the window with the train strike, so we did a loop out to Arundel, predominantly on the Monarchs Way (MW), although we dived off on a few occasions where the surface was poor or track very narrow, and my garmin indicated a more appealing surface would join back up again. One word of note, there are a lot of kissing gates on the MW so lots of humping bikes over them, which in turn slows progress as you are forever stopping.
Dee Dee's in Findon was a suitable coffee /cake/ bacon sandwich stop, we took @Shadow 's recommendation to pop into the Black Rabbit pub for a cold drink pre lunch and then cut up to Amberley via South and North Stoke and a gurka bridge, and picked up the SDW to head back to Steyning and back down alongside the Adur to Shoreham & Southwick. We lunched (quite late, on paninis) at the very pleasant Frankland Arms , a short diversion off the SDW at Washington. The SDW was generally a wider / better surface (although some parts of MW were tarmac in places) but bigger lumpier climbs. The whole day gave varied and stunning views, from riding down a 6 inch wide track through a "flowing in the wind" barley field, to the classic top of the downs panorama's.

1656263105187.png

Day 3
We had planned to ride back up to Steyning and ride the SDW as far as Southease, before dropping back to coast thru Brighton to Southwick. However we decided to treat our legs to one less epic climb, and make a mates "getting home curfew" achievable and we cut back into Brighton from Ditchling Beacon. Coffee / second breakfast was at the wonderful Wildflower cafe at Saddlescombe. Their Poached eggs on toast was a delight to both eyes and taste-buds, you genuinely would have been wow-ed wherever you'd been served it, be that posh hotel or Michelin star restaurant, let alone a humble farm courtyard cafe.

All in all a cracking weekend. The weather was kind, only rain was the odd overnight shower, and whilst breezy, particularity today, it was at our backs / cross tail on the SDW, and only in our faces at the very start of the day and back thru Brighton on NCN 2 / city cycle lanes.
SDW is excellently signed, so whilst the Garmin and Ride with GPS planning was much needed on Day 2, Day 3 it was largely redundant for navigating. Traffic on the M25 back home was quite sticky, so rather glad we didn't do the extra hills and miles...
1656263991301.png

For the record we were all on classic 26" wheel hardtail MTBs.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not isolated to MW...there are about 100 gates to traverse on the entire SDW, average about 1 gate per mile!

Great report, thanks.

Ah but the SDW are horse friendly gates you can open and ride through, the MW, being a byway and not a bridleway (for the most part, were virtually all kissing / wicket gates, e.g.
1656402804741.png

and some tighter than those shown, with overgrown hedges, so much more of a faff, but it did take us down some farm lanes, across fields, through woodland, the odd minor road etc so a great variety of scenery.

Top Bottom