South Shropshire newb with folding 20" and 70's mystery 10 speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suterman

Hey,

Thought I'd register and say Hi. see if anyone could give me a clue about my new bike,

Before that however here is the folding 20" we picked up on our travels in our camper last summer.

A Vindec folding 20" shopper with SA 3 speed hub, it had been sat in an outhouse for the best part of 20 years, it was my wife's colleagues bike when she was a child.

DSCF5751.jpg

DSCF5939.jpg

DSCF5938.jpg

We got it for free, I took it home and stripped and cleaned it, then painted the frame in a similar colour to our van. It runs sweet and shows little sign of wear, I decided to leave it stripped of mudguards and rack, got some new tyres and tubes for it and folded it up in the van for next summer. Its ideal for nipping to the local shops or even just the campsite washroom when away in the van.

How it looks now.

DSCF5981.jpg

Now for the exciting bit.

I cleared out my employers garage recently and was given this 10 speed road/racer. I've been meaning to get a decent road bike this year so when this one came up so I grabbed the chance.

I was told it was built to order from a shop in Oxford in the 70s.

Frame is 24", has been hand painted black over original red paint. Has B09316 stamped on the vertical tube above crank, crank case has DAVIES COMPONENTS and 60 62 stamped in it on the underside. (maybe a Dawes?)

Sach rear hub, Falcon spindle/ rear gear set?, sakae SR chainwheel, cyclo custom crank arms, atom pedals, Suntour Honor 2 rear dérailleur, front shimano thunder bird, Simplex frame mounted shifters, wienmann cantilever brakes.

I'm no expert, Im just reading the stamps on the parts.

I've been riding the 10 speed a few times this weekend, fiddling with the limit screws and cable tension to get the gears changing and stopping where they should. It rides very well I think (in my limited experience) and I am happy with it for now, perhaps I will strip and repaint the frame in the deepest part of winter.

DSCF6108.jpg

DSCF6109.jpg

DSCF6110.jpg

DSCF6162.jpg

If anyone can give me any clues on the frame make I'd be grateful,

Mike.

Hello, welcome to the forum! I'm not too far from you in Herefordshire. I don't know what your 10 speed is, but bikes like that are right up my street. So much more interesting than modern carbon fibre rockets. Character and individuality beat bling any day of the week.:biggrin:

OP
OP
S

suterman

cheers for the welcome, just got some new lights for the 10 speed so I can go out for a night ride.

yeah!

cree q5 twin set for the front, so bright its offensive.

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

suterman

Hello its me again,

It seems that once my friends knew I'd starting riding a bike they mostly said "oh, I've got an old bike if you want it" now I've got another 10 speed (Puch Cavalier) in original condition, a Ralaigh lizard with some missing parts and another folding 3 speed that I am yet to collect!

I'm running out of space in my shed so I'm making a shelter outside to stick them under for now.

I am after some parts and my local bike shop has not been able to help would anyone be able to recommend a good online shop in the UK for the bit I need.

Its just a couple of rear wheel nuts and a locking nut for the Raleigh lizard spindle, I've been through a load of old scrap bikes and got he nuts off but non of them fit. Also spoke (or a pack) for the cavalier which has 27 x 1 1/4 wheels

I also stripped and cleaned and straightened the rear dérailleur on the black 10 speed, just got back from a ride and its running sweet!

OP
OP
S

suterman

cheers pedal pusher, I ended up getting some used alloy wheels and tyres off ebay for the Lizard, I borrowed the seatpost and set off the cavalier for now.

I have ridden the lizard a couple of times, seems the chain is too short as it gets too tight on the outer front ring. I've stuck some other brakes on the back as the original ones had very brittle plastic parts.

DSC08042.jpg

OP
OP
S

suterman

Here is a budget bike I just finished sorting,

It started off as a "Grand Universal" alloy mountain bike I found on facebook for 20 quid.

The lady I got it off was a little concerned that it had flat tyres but I reassured her it wouldn't be a problem

Here's a stock photo, pretty much how it was when I got it.

bike1_zps7546d174.jpg

Here is a list of guff I bought for it

Rigid alloy forks to replace the nasty zoom suspension ones (£27)
Carbon handlebars (£15)
alloy stem (£5)
alloy seatpost (£10)
seat (£20)
second hand wheels off ebay (£20)
Schhhewwaabbbellelele blackjacks 2.1 (£36)
new slime filled tubes (£10)
ez fire shifters/levers (£25)
grips/bar ends (£10)
new cassette (£10)
Used pedals (free)
universal fit mudguards (that didn't fit) (£15)
Vinyl wrap (silage tape) (£2.50)
rear light/laser (£10)

DSCF2566_zps00c5d550.jpg

Total, £235, turns out to be by far the most I ever spent on a bike. I've had cheaper cars!

OP
OP
S

suterman

only the ones in at the top of the thread, done a few hundred miles on it over the summer, now looking classy with its new black pinstriped mudguards and webbing pouches

OP
OP
S

suterman

Covered 17.4 miles on the black mountain bike yesterday up and down the Severn valley near Bridgnorth. Very muddy, gears playing up, crank bearings creaking.:blush:

Top Bottom