South Shropshire newb with folding 20" and 70's mystery 10 speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Covered 17.4 miles on the black mountain bike yesterday up and down the Severn valley near Bridgnorth. Very muddy, gears playing up, crank bearings creaking.:blush:
Whereabouts did you go?

The gears will probably be okay with a clean and a tweek. I'm assuming the bottom bracket is still the original so it probably just wants a regrease and adjust, or replace it with a sealed cartridge one.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

suterman

I've cleaned and adjusted the gears and they're ok now, although its a cheap bike its had little use and I can't detect any play in the crank, it seems to have some kind of new fangled type of nut which requires a special tool to undo it.

I've mapped my rides and walks here...
http://www.walkjogrun.net/members/suterman

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've cleaned and adjusted the gears and they're ok now, although its a cheap bike its had little use and I can't detect any play in the crank, it seems to have some kind of new fangled type of nut which requires a special tool to undo it.
It wasn't play in the crank I was thinking of. These cheap bikes are usually supplied with unsealed cup and cone type bottom brackets, meaning dirt and grit can work its way inside. This is probably what's causing the creaking.

You're right it does need special tools but they are worth getting as you'll use them again if you're doing your own maintenance on a regular basis.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Great looking pair of old school bikes ! I have a folder that I saved from the scrap pile at the countryside park I volunteer at and am tinkering away to make it the way I want it. Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy everything on here........cake seems to be popular :whistle:

OP
OP
S

suterman

Cheers, I'll have to put some pics of the 10 as it is now, its changed since I posted it.

Got myself the aldi set and removed the bottom bracket and as suggested it has dirt in it, taken measurements and searching for a sealed one,
went for a ride up the brown clee today, crank and derailleiurs holding up for now.....

VOLUME WARNING
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
View: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2be_1382885581&version=queued_modified_item

Top Bottom