Southampton to Isle of Wight as a foot passenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Evening all, not been in here for a while.

Question.
My dad's just asked me to look into foot passenger travel for a day return on the coming Monday or Tuesday. He'll have a seniors discount if available.

Looking for a little advice on best way to turn up and go.
Who to go with, who has the simplest system. Sailing schedules etc.

My dad is not a fan of technology so would be best if he could turn up at the terminal, speak to a human face to face and get a ticket and go.

Cheers dears,

SSD.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Our technicians go on a regular basis via red funnel but all pre booked.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Evening all, not been in here for a while.

Question.
My dad's just asked me to look into foot passenger travel for a day return on the coming Monday or Tuesday. He'll have a seniors discount if available.

Looking for a little advice on best way to turn up and go.
Who to go with, who has the simplest system. Sailing schedules etc.

My dad is not a fan of technology so would be best if he could turn up at the terminal, speak to a human face to face and get a ticket and go.

Cheers dears,

SSD.
If it’s from Southampton then there’s the Red Funnel ferry (about an hour) and the Fastcat (about 30 mins). Both run frequently enough during the day, with a more limited service overnight.

I think it’s pretty easy just to turn up and go. I’ve done it quite a few times with the bike. There’s a ticket office onsite but I’ve been there when its been unpeopled and only the machines are available, so I’d maybe check opening times.

One thing to consider is that the ferry docks in East Cowes while the fastcat docks in West Cowes. There’s not much in East Cowes and your dad would need to get the chain ferry across to the ’bright lights’ of West Cowes. The chain ferry had many problems so could well be replaced by a bit of a wobbly pedestrian-only boat on the day. If he’s being picked up by someone on the island, it could be really important to know which side he needs.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
If it’s from Southampton then there’s the Red Funnel ferry (about an hour) and the Fastcat (about 30 mins). Both run frequently enough during the day, with a more limited service overnight.

I think it’s pretty easy just to turn up and go. I’ve done it quite a few times with the bike. There’s a ticket office onsite but I’ve been there when its been unpeopled and only the machines are available, so I’d maybe check opening times.

One thing to consider is that the ferry docks in East Cowes while the fastcat docks in West Cowes. There’s not much in East Cowes and your dad would need to get the chain ferry across to the ’bright lights’ of West Cowes. The chain ferry had many problems so could well be replaced by a bit of a wobbly pedestrian-only boat on the day. If he’s being picked up by someone on the island, it could be really important to know which side he needs.

East Cowes is perfect. He's heading to Osborne house so that's good. I've said to go to tourist information to get the best advice.

Top Bottom