Southampton's answer to fatal accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tangoup51

I cannot speak for @Welsh wheels, but, my point was:

- it is NOT the victims fault
- in a potentially dangerous situation, it is wise to take precautions / avoiding action
- it may be HIGHLY desirable that certain activities can be carried out with impunity, but, REALISTICALLY, this not the case in practice

For example, I am a 70 year old male, past the first flush of youth, let us say. IMHO, I SHOULD be free to walk alone, at any time of day, without fear of being robbed etc, but, realistically, there are certain parts of my nearest city (Newcastle-upon-Tyne), or, indeed any other city in the UK, where I would avoid putting this particular "freedom" to the test, particularly if I had been over-indulging in the vino tinto (again).

Your comment is very reasonable and logical however nowadays the real definition of Victim Blaming is that basically a lot of people find that logic intimidating and makes the victims feel to blame for avoiding such logical advice.

The reason why they feel like such logical advice is intimidating and uncomfortable is because they want the freedom to do whatever they want, where-ever they want and Don't want to be put on the hot-seat for not following the advice.

But what people often forget is, Advice is Advice. it's not mandatory nor set in stone.

IF you go to a place where you're more likely to get robbed (and you get robbed) I won't blame you for it. But I would advise you not to go there.

There is no connection between Advising and Blaming. But some people seem to use that logical advice as a way to blame people rather than warning them not to do it in the first place.

Personally I don't use it in that way.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hmm. Instead of cycle lanes... or cycle paths... some kind of car lane! Or car path! To segregate them from cyclists!

If it wasn't for motorways already existing, that would almost be an idea.

Some roads are dangerous. I feel like it is an inevitability that some accidents will happen on certain roads where speed limits are met and awareness levels are high.

I don't like hearing that argument, but I reluctantly see some mild victim-blaming truth in it.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
"It comes after a 64-year-old cyclist died after colliding with a lorry outside the Crickets Arms on Portsmouth Road,Woolston"

No, it doesn't. He died after a lorry collided with him.

In this tragic situation, which I did not witness, and, where my "knowledge' of events is limited to the newspaper article in the link, I am not laying any blame at anyone's door.

so:

a) not suggesting cyclist was to blame in any way
b) there is nothing in the article (that I can see) to make it clear who collided with who (other than the passage quoted above)
c) it is conceivable a cyclist could collide with a motor vehicle or other object
d) if a cyclist and a pedestrian collide, does it have to be reported as cyclist collides with pedestrian, or, is it conceivable that the pedestrian collided with the cyclist?

Royston used to own the bike shop in Bitterne triangle as well. So bit of a hypocrite.

[QUOTE 5086539, member: 9609"]this article takes it a little further
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15779714.Cyclist_killed_and_man_arrested_after_crash_in_Southampton/
"He said: “I was having a cigarette outside. I saw a cyclist coming from the roundabout and behind him a lorry and then I heard a crunch and I saw a man on the road and his bike half on the road and half on the pavement"

if this is the view point ?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8...4!1saviNQt3yCtr_8SWlCM4keA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It does seem to be one of those horrible lane merging situations.
[/QUOTE]
Something I witness all the time at that roundabout, is lorries approaching it, from the toll gate, and a cyclist, in the truckers blind spot ( which can be surprisingly large ) assumes that they ( the cyclist ) are visible to the trucker, and pull to the right, but they may not realise, that the trucker can’t have seen them do so. I always pull over to the left, before the end of the cycle lane ( which is all the way over the bridge, until just before the roundabout, if there’s a truck behind me. The road is very badly designed at that point, from a cyclists perspective.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Rather than (just) railing on a Forum, which arguments we've seen more times than any of us can recall, why don't local cyclists write to their MP and open a discussion with him. His view is uninformed and partial, and without other perspectives being presented things won't change. He's paid to listen.

Top Bottom