Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

handbag

stevevw said:
Oh and to Handbag for the offer of a bandage that turned out to be a plaster. :biggrin:

:smile:..... :smile: :biggrin:

mike e

It's all been said...............

Great ride, with great people, weather, adventure, incident, excitement, food, panic, relief

Days like yesterday are more than worth the effort of coming down from Hull to ride.

Yet again I find myself in deepest Essex with very little time to make it to central London, this is becoming a bit of a habit.

There are far too many highlights and I could spend all afternoon banging on

Topcat1 squaring up on the garage forecourt to the geezer in the car (I know who I'd have put my money on)

Handing everyone a Clif shot block on the return leg and then watching Handbag absolutely blitz up a hill after it had kicked in

The lovely home made food that was kindly brought by Helen and Sig, by the way Dave that cake was delicious;)

Talking on "my level" to the friendly local's at Southend.

The way we timed the arrival at the station in Stanford-le-Hope, I'm convinced the train tickets could have been printed off quicker using a typewriter:biggrin:

Thank you everyone for a brilliant day and I look forward to the next, for a northern chap you make me feel more than welcome down your neck of the woods and hopefully I can repay you all when you come "oop north"

There is an exception to the above

MacB stood at the Rose with a pint of guiness and one of Mr John Players finest

Mike E - so we riding back then, lovely evening, come all this way and all that..............

MacB - "What part of I'm catching the train you northern *******:smile: don't you understand?"

Sorry I didn't get chance to meet for a pint in town, next time, definate

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
good reports folks, I'm taking break from trying to fit a new main bathroom light...not my long suit. So what can I add:-

met up with SD and Mistral at Clapham Junction at 0800 and had a very pleasant few miles to the meet point. Great turn out and we ended up with 16. Would have risen to 18 had we caught Simon and his good lady. The ride itself has been covered so I'll just fill in some blanks or correct some misinformation.

TC1(Dave) was a very good ride leader and only crashed due to being overly concerned for the welfare of the rest of us. That said we do need to consider new names for him and maybe some new equipment. Dangerous Dave may require stabilisers, some L plates and possibly a cycling proficiency course, we'll all chip in:biggrin:

Sig - star extraordinaire, Dave her husband was superb as well, plus she has 2 beautiful children. Must mention that Sig is now super fast on her new bike, even to the point of showing off at times.

ChrisM - nice to meet him, for a first timer it probably all seemed a bit surreal, he coped admirably and got right into the swing of things.

TC2 - should really be TC1, he is the elder and he doesn't crash his bike. Mark is a real gent and seems to be getting the cycling bug badly.

SteveVW - disappointed to find that the camper van and cookout facilities wouldn't be present at Southend. Though I thought TC's kamikaze response to this was a little over the top. Now I know how 4F is so fast, he gets to draft a faster mate:evil: Hope you, and the bike, didn't suffer any lasting damage Steve.

Alinaee - great sense of humour and an awesome turn of speed from a 3 speed hub gear bike. We'll be seeing her at the Whitstable ride, I look forward to it.

Cat - handbags at the ready she makes riding look too easy and is great company on and off the bike. Though she does have a tendency to lie, 'I have a bandage' turned out to be a sticking plaster and 'I'll never finish a whole cornish pasty' was total nonsense. Especially hurtful to the fat bloke(me) sitting there waiting for the leftovers.

Mistral - never get tired of Micks company but it still hurts that he's 10 years older then me and looks 10 years younger. He ruthlessly compounds this pain by being far better on a bike as well, just a little lack of class there, but I can forgive him.:smile:

DJtheGlove - I know he's quick etc but he led us out from Liverpool Street to Clapham Junction for our pub session. One might even suggest a strong affinity with the 'drink' the speed at which he got us across congested London.

Auntie Helen - the mile muncher herself is getting a bit obsessed, even going to the lengths of getting lost in the marshes to add some extra miles. Lovely, properly sweet, crispie bakes and she's definitely getting zippy on the trike. Good moment when we're all waiting for her at the top of the big hill and she sailed on majestically by. Great piccie on the train on the way home as well, taken by a kindly fellow passenger Helen 'persuaded'.

DeltheBike - several rides with Del now and he works quietly in the background helping to smooth everyones way. Though I find something deeply disturbing about the picture of his, and Helens, feet together:ohmy:

CofG - User was on top form and mocked our weakness by cruising on fixed. Was a relief that he wore a complete pair of shorts this time. Good crack in the pub, I suspect it will be repeated.

Redjedi - despite his hideous taste in bikes Luke is a top bloke and good drinking buddy. I'm even getting used to the machine gun loud free hub on his rear wheel.

Sitting Duck - Anthony was right to be worried about a wheel on this ride, just got the wrong persons wheel. Jeez he's getting fast, quickest duck I've ever met:biggrin:

Mikee - yes I made the 'Northern' comment but he's quoted me totally out of context, I was much ruder than that. But he seems to have failed to mention how he was getting chatted up by a drunken Essex lad. Think that might have been a 'ride' even Mike was unprepared for:biggrin:

MacB - me, had a really good day and the beer session at the end was a very enjoyable way to round things off. For some reason my butterfly bars are still met with mockery rather than the envy they deserve...go figure.

Cheers TC1....next time

mistral

Guru
One of our finest in training for 2012

attachment.php

:smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:
Photoshopped!

nah, just natural class...these piccies convince me even more that I need some weekend 3/4 baggie shorts. Those old team kit ones are fine for commuting but just a bit too lairy.

I thought I hardly drank these days, that was about my 6th time for a beer this year. But put to shame by DJ when he mentioned it was his first beer in 2 years....maybe a religious career beckons him:biggrin:

Steve - bend to the knee, hand on hip......you know how to pick up on the slightest of signals. Do we need to investigate your 'friendship' with 4F even more closely?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Aperitif said:
And another thing. I was just going out and thought to myself..."Where's walnuts?" Not another cry-off from the panmeister?:angry:

I was crying.. I was in agony... in missing a great ride!

And I really did miss a great ride it seems! Loving the write ups and photos, and I was well looking forward to being part of the ride..

Alas, my body said no, your not going anywhere sonny! I woke up just gone 6am, went to jump out of bed and the leg's were left behind, they had failed me! In truth, I have been teetering close to over-doing it in the past week and coupled with a bad stomach from "filling up" for the ride, it all went Pete... I spent all day feeling like poo with my legs up on the sofa, literally all day. I did do a wee cycle yesterday and actually wanted to give up for the first time in a long time..

I actually think our Revened Auntie of the cloth has a side line in black magic and used a voodoo doll on me to keep my miles down! :blush:... ;).

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Well today i'm looking for a new helmet, a pump, bar tape, i've got spare wheel oh and looking for a new bike .....................for tc2;)
I've got 2 days off, the old limbs are sore, may go for a pootle this afternoon.

stevevw

Guru
topcat1 said:
Well today i'm looking for a new helmet, a pump, bar tape, i've got spare wheel oh and looking for a new bike .....................for tc2;)
I've got 2 days off, the old limbs are sore, may go for a pootle this afternoon.

Funnily I went and bought a new helmet yesterday too. I am also thinking of changing the forks as they are full carbon and the bars had twisted a fair way.

Good luck with finding TC2 a new bike, it will be great to see you both again in September.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Aperitif said:
You pair of wussies - three of you in fact! What are you, men or mouses?

As for you 'feeling poo' all day Davy...well, what can I say...:ohmy:

Never mind chaps - it's all about the broken bike :ohmy:

Take care everyone. :smile:

I no longer scoff on packs of fruit loaf now, so I am much better than what I used to be... I've learned my lessons!:biggrin:

ChrisM

Someone was filming us lot cycling up Bread and Cheese Hill...... if it was you have you posted this somewhere...would love to see what shade of red I was as I neared the top lol

cheers:biggrin:

Top Bottom