Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Auntie Helen said:
Wow, you're in for a treat visiting Southend for the first time. I grew up there and my parents and sister still live there so it's all very familiar territory to me. Our route takes us right past my old house and the sixth form college that I went to, etc.

My sister is threatening to bring her kids to wave at us as we waft past![/quote]

Excellant:biggrin: Will they be waving miniature union jacks?

mike e

I've only visited Southend once before - FNRttC in April.

Things I remembered from the visit:-

2 yoofs welcoming us just as we passed the sign for Southend "F**k off you c**t's", it was quite nice really

Simon's radio building on the front

The very long pier

An amusement park with a scary looking rollercoaster

errrrrrrrrrr.............

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Davy's out.

Shame you won't be coming Martin, i'll try not to get em lost :sad:

You're going to miss the official debout of the mouseketeer top ;)
jf9chd.jpg

delthebike

Top ride! :ohmy:
I left them at Tarpots and took to the sea wall at Benfleet and nearly caught them up at Chalkwell, they turned right on the lights, to head for the sea front, while I had to stop for them.
Not too many things went wrong ;) and there was a pretty good wheel swapping lesson from TC1.
Nice and sunny and a tailwind for a lot of the way.
Good company, pictures later, many thanks to all. :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We (the Babe and I) crossed Tower Bridge about 8.25 and headed east, reckoning on being caught. We never were. Arrived in Southend at 10 to 2, had fish and chips at the Rose, spent some time with Chris, the owner, and trained it home.

A lovely day with a fresh tailwind for most of the ride, which helped the Babe to her biggest ride in a day (about 60 miles all up). Good to see the radio station being looked after.

I'm sorry we missed the others - we got a text from Helen telling us that a wheel had gone. Hopefully this wasn't while the bike was in motion............

delthebike said:
Top ride! :ohmy:
I left them at Tarpots and took to the sea wall at Benfleet and nearly caught them up at Chalkwell, they turned right on the lights, to head for the sea front, while I had to stop for them.
Not too many things went wrong ;) and there was a pretty good wheel swapping lesson from TC1.
Nice and sunny and a tailwind for a lot of the way.
Good company, pictures later, many thanks to all. :biggrin:

Eider know if it was the Sittingduck wheel that pinged. Sorry to hear about that...cool jersey Dave.
Trust the return was / is being full of fun.
Looking forward to the reportage!

delthebike

You can find, the better, pictures wot i took here, http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/delthebike/Cctower

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
As I left the house at 6:50am I thought, "This is rather early!" I had seen the note I left for myself to get the Chocolate Frostie Cake out of the freezer so stuffed that into my panniers as I set off on the lovely 3.5 mile journey to Manningtree station before a few moments awaiting the 7:18 train.

DSCF4930.jpg

I got on no problems, stowing my trike in the guard's van, and whizzed off towards Liverpool Street. The Advance ticket was £8 which was rather a bargain.

I arrived at Liverpool Street and stood in the centre of the concourse until Stevevw found me. He slung his bike over his shoulder and then lifted my trike with the other hand whilst I carried the front of it and we ascended the staircase. We found User1314 at the top and he led us towards the Tower of London.

We were almost the first to arrive at the salad bar, discovering that Delthebike was already there. He had cycled from Southend this morning. Alina (who I had met last week on a ride) appeared next, then other people turned up until we had the full complement for the day.

DSCF4931.jpg

DSCF4932.jpg

We set off through glass-strewn and potholey streets, stopping every five metres for traffic lights. There are a lot of those in London! I had no idea where I was as my London knowledge is poor and I spent most of the time trying to sell the benefits of my Trice's new high-vis skirt to Delthebike, who seemed to believe that my stitching wasn't utterly perfect on it. The cad!

Soon we left the centre of London behind, stopping for a loo break for some of our number whilst the rest of us ate User1314's digestive biscuits. Then onward again, heading roughly east towards the delights of Essex.

DSCF4934.jpg

It's at this point that I have to mention what a stonking ride leader Topcat1 is. He kept the group together the whole time, we were all confident that we wouldn't get lost and that he wouldn't let the group spread too far apart. This doesn't always happen on rides and I very much appreciated that this ride was better controlled. Well done Dave!

The first proper stop for drink/food was to be at Rainham Marshes. As we made our way to a landfill site it was hard to see where the nice bit would be... especially when we rounded a corner to find a gaggle of cyclists stopped on the road, with Topcat1 and Stevevw lying immobile in a tangle of bikes. An accident had occurred and it was soon apparent that Topcat1 not only had a puncture but also had a broken spoke and a damaged wheel. Terminally damaged.

We all hovered in the road for a bit and then decided to repair to the grass verge for safety, whereupon people tried to fix Topcat1's wheels whilst the rest of us passed around various food items (the first appearance of my chocolate frosties cake) and sorted out Alina's too-high saddle for her.

DSCF4935.jpg

DSCF4936.jpg

But Topcat1's wheel was seriously unwell. Sig to the rescue, she called her husband to come and pick up Topcat1 and take him to a bike shop to get a replacement wheel. The rest of us carried on by bike whilst Topcat1 walked forlornly behind us, awaiting his rescuer.

Now we were off the road and onto a cycle path that goes alongside the Thames at Rainham. There was a fascinating bit of wire/metal sculpture just past the rather awkward gate; I think the gate was meant to be bike-friendly but it wasn't trike-friendly and my flagpole got bent again.

p8151437.jpg

Photo courtesy of Delthebike!

The path was very nice so I decided to tempt Delthebike to swap bikes with me again. This is always a laugh as (a) I can't go round corners on his bike, and (:blush: I can't use the brakes on his bike. Our group having had one crash today I decided I would like to avoid that if possible but the group soon pulled ahead so the only risk was me going into a ditch/the Thames.

This is one of Del's photos – because that's my heifer's backside in the shot and I don't have unpainted toenails:
p8151448.jpg

My plan to swap bikes was a cunning one as we started to come across various metal gates which were JUST wide enough for the trike, if Del wiggled its wheels and ignored the scraping of the mirrors on the metal poles of the gates. I could just about get through on his Galaxy, using my shoulder to aid balance as I wobbled through clipped in to his very-reluctant-to-let-me-unclip SPD pedals.

We were soon on our own, pootling around at a sedate pace as I can't change gear on Del's bike and he's too much of a gentleman to leave me behind, plus his legs are a bit short for my trike so he was hunched forward in the seat. There was no sign of the RSPB Tea Room which we were expecting, and then the gates became just a bit narrower so we had to lift the trike over them. This entailed taking off the flag and panniers to help us along.

We then got to a bit of road with speed bumps at which point my trike displayed a new trick, which was to make the top of the flag fly off every time Del went over a bump. At one flag-reattaching session he noticed that my left hand front tyre had a significant bald spot - it was down to the canvas/rubber/marathon smartguard thingie!

And then we rounded a corner and were back to the car park with the irritating bike gate and the strange metal sculpture in the water... argh! We were clearly well and truly lost! Del pointed out that the only mobile phone number he had for the party was mine; fortunately I have a brace of CycleChatters' numbers and located Sig's. She said she'd come and rescue us. I then took the opportunity of reading two messages on the phone from Simon Legg/Dellzeqq who was cycling to Southend with his wife. He thought we'd be catching him up soon – he was at Stanford-le-Hope in his latest message, so he was way ahead of us – and we knew we were still awaiting repair of Topcat1's bike.

...TO BE CONTINUED...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Sig found us and led us to the RSPB tea room down a side path we hadn't seen. Everyone was installed there and all seemed to put up graciously with my rather snippy comments about being left behind.

Tea and cake were consumed:

DSCF4937.jpg

There was a good selection of bikes to faff with:

DSCF4940.jpg

DSCF4939.jpg

Although Topcat2, User1314 and Mike_e relaxed instead:

DSCF4941.jpg

Topcat1 had been whisked away by Sig's husband whilst Del and I were lost and they returned fairly quickly, with horror stories about the ineptness of Halfords but with a shiny new £20 wheel from Decathlon.

Here we have Topcat1 realising that he will have to actually cycle on a £20 wheel made of some old-fashioned metal stuff, rather than charcoal and plastic:

DSCF4942.jpg

DSCF4943.jpg

Nearly there, having swapped the rim tape and borrowed a selection of bicycle pumps:

DSCF4944.jpg

The forlorn, wheel-less bike.

DSCF4945.jpg

This all proved fascinating to the spectators.

DSCF4946.jpg

By this time there had been some discussion as to whether we should push on to Southend or go back – the traffic around Lakeside was apparently fairly bad. But we were planning to ride to Southend so we all agreed to continue on. At this point I received a text from Simon/Dellzeqq saying he was already in Southend and about to head back to London. So our meeting him didn't work out very well!

So we headed on, under the M25 (where it is briefly the A282), round some busy roundabouts, with us all in a big gaggle together to protect ourselves from dodgy motorists, but we were soon away from the shoppers' traffic and into the back roads around Chafford Hundred/Stanford le Hope/Corringham etc. Oh, and the amusingly-named Mucking.

We headed on towards Basildon, passing through quieter roads now, although with a few stupid motorists still to contend with. This was getting towards familiar territory for me as I grew up in Thundersley, but I knew of the dreaded Bread & Cheese Hill that had to be climbed. When we arrived at it, apart from the fact I was last up it (no surprise there), I didn't have to resort to my granny ring. Mike_e was photographing me from the drive outside the Indian Restaurant; no problem except I was probably red in the face from the climbing, but he was doing this on fixed!!!

Still, once we got up that hill there was nothing much to trouble us afterwards. We went through Hadleigh, Chalkwell, Leigh and were soon able to see Southend Pier in the distance. The sun was out, the day was warm and it was good to see our destination. We arrived at the café and distributed our bikes around the place, enjoying the chance for some hearty food.

DSCF4950.jpg

DSCF4947.jpg

DSCF4948.jpg

DSCF4949.jpg

And then, after the main course, a chance for an ice cream!

DSCF4952.jpg

And a beer or three...

DSCF4953.jpg

DSCF4956.jpg

DSCF4957.jpg

Some of us were getting the train back so we waved goodbye to those who were cycling a little way back and headed for Southend Victoria railway station. I had a vague idea where it was and we were able to find it in due course and all hopped on a train which would let me off at Shenfield and take the lads back to London for their pub stop.

DSCF4958.jpg

I hopped out at Shenfield, found a working lift to take me to the correct platform and hopped on a train four minutes later to Colchester. I had to wedge my trike in the doorway again as it wasn't a train with a guard's van but no-one complained so I got away with it.

The train stopped at Colchester and I then wended my way home through the Saturday evening traffic; Manningtree is a nicer station to end up at but the distance home is about the same. As I wheeled the trike into the garden I could smell a barbecue – James was doing some lamb kebabs. Yummy!

All in all an excellent day. Thanks so much to Topcat1 for organising it so brilliantly and providing some entertainment; to Sig for rescuing duties; to everyone else for company and good times!

Top Bottom