Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Jusat got home and out of the shiower... left 4 (slightly worse for wear) souls at the top of my road after showing some good old fashioned South London hospitality (booze).

Thanks for the ride TC and glad neither you or Steve were seriously hurt (I did fear the worst when I rounded the corner and saw you both motionless in the road).

Anyway a nice ride and some lovely sights to be seen - great company and a fun day out!

Thanks one and all,
SD

redjedi

Über Member
:ohmy: ...hic...

I'm home.
Thanks Topcat for a good ride

I'll post more when I'm sober :biggrin:

mike e

Just got home. no, really.

Some pics and reporting later today (Sunday) for now some numbers:_

Left house 04:20 Saturday
Arrived home 01:47 Sunday
Miles ridden 77.95
Actual riding time 6 hours
Average riding speed 12.9mph
Max speed 102.8mph

This last figure has led me to believe that the cycle computer may have been computing whilst I was on the train so not all of the above may be accurate!!

Thanks all, more soon, but bed now.

Thanks for that Auntie - sounds like I missed an event! (I don't mean a Scotsman putting his hand in his pocket whilst in a pub either...)
Tough on topcat1 to suffer the pringleism. Only last week we were berating him for not letting brother Mike come to Bognor on a shiny Litespeed...:rolleyes:)
Sig is pictured siting at the same table as our last trip there - the background is an appropriate 'mis en scene'. Ice creams? :ohmy: Beers?:eek: I'm impressed! :thumbsup:
The classiest photo for me (all photos of Helen, Katsura, Sig and Alina excepted :biggrin:) is the one of Anthony, dj (in Rapha model mode) and User 'cheersing' on the Essex esplanade...'papillon' hovering in the background - in homage to Alastair's handlebars...

"Earth-to-Steve::::::are-you-home-yet?" ;)
Hope you leg is ok - saw bloodiness in Del's photos. Or was that ketchup left on there from the Dunwich Dynamo?

stevevw

Guru
A few firsts for me yesterday
1. First 200k plus ride
2. First 128k solo ride (much prefer riding with you lot)
3. First time I have been taken from behind!!!! :eek::ohmy::ohmy: and yes it did hurt but not as much as Dave's wallet will very soon when he gets a new plastic wheel.

Had a fairly good ride home and in true Fatketeer fashion ignored the planned route on the Garmin and made it up as I went.

I made a diversion near to Brentwood to visit my cousin who as I later found out had gone on holiday, must have known I was coming.
In to Brentwood taking part of the first Essex ride route I stopped at a garage to refuel the water bottles. I got a 1.5L bottle and was told by the cashier that it was buy one get one free. I explained I had 2 750ml bottles on the bike and could not carry another, he said yes but it is buy one get one free ;) At this point I asked some young lads in the shop if they wanted a free bottle of water, I was later to regret this act of generosity.

A mile or so later up the road a car pulled alongside me, it was the lads from the garage. yep you guessed it the little gits sprayed me with the water. Oh how I laughed. :biggrin:

On the drop down in to Onger I was going well even overtook a couple of cars. Half way up the climb on the other side I was pulled over by a very nice 12 year old dressed up in his play cloths as a police officer. He assured me he was older than twelve and proceeded to explain the danger of riding a push bike in excess of 40 mph in a 30 limit. I think it was the overtaking of the cars that did it, the first being his dads unmarked car. Daddy seemed to be finding it all a bit of a laugh. I promised never to do it again and was free to go. (had my fingers crossed so the little lie did not count)

Next came a bit of the Dunrun route in reverse quickly followed by a very nice Sunset over Harlow that looked like the whole town was on fire, some would say not a bad thing. Then back in to Hertfordshire and home.

All in all a very enjoyable day as usual, great people and a great laugh too. Lovely to meet you all old and new. Special thanks to TC1 for the first class way he lead the ride and TC2 checking I was Ok. Oh and to Handbag for the offer of a bandage that turned out to be a plaster. :rolleyes:

A couple of Answers for Dave.
I weigh just over 5 stone less than I did this time last year.
And I went so fast up that hill because I knew you where behind me. :ohmy:

See you all soon.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Good morning, another day another bunch of memories.
Having the roll call by the salad bar and forgetting to count tc2 and myself had me puzzled for a couple of minutes, however we soon on our way
xpbt6t.jpg

tc2 and chrism
jt8lms.jpg

dj and sittingduck
With some new faces and some that i'd seen on various rides but hadn't met and some that become friends it was a great and cheerful group that headed out towards essex
zix1lv.jpg

keeping a casual pace we rolled out to the rainham marshes and with the empty roads we stretched our legs.
Being ride leader i was having to constantly look back to see if the group was together and while looking back i ran into Steve, he didn't know what hit him.
Well, i was seeing stars so decided not to move but was still seeing stars when the others caught up.
A few cuts and bruises i was ok but i had this feeling that my seat post had tried to ram up my ***
Steve looked to be in better condition, me wheel died on me. However Sig said her partner lives just up the road and her husband Dave could get me to a bike shop that plan was set. We were 3 miles from the tea shop so i sent everyone ahead tc2 stayed with me and we made our way there.
2ibztyp.jpg

Having a nice chat with my brother (feeling i had let the group down) we spot a rider coming towards us with a wheel clipped onto has bag. Mike e you're a star MacB had taken his front wheel off his bike and Mike in courier mode dashed down to us. Thanks guys. I had a quick snack and met Dave and the kids (Mr Sig) Dave drove me to Decathlon and i bought a new wheel.
On getting back to the tea shop we heard that Helen and Del had gotten lost and Sig had rode out to guide them back.
So Del and i did a formular1 pit stop and we were ready to go.
But i still had this feeling the seat post had tried to jump me.
Everyone was in good cheer and still wanted to reach Southend
25kn293.jpg

so we continued onward.
2rr2mjc.jpg

It was a really good group staying together riding at an easy pace the miles flew past, shortly we were riding up Bread and Cheese hill and it was amazing to watch Steve fly up there and then Mike shoot past riding fixed, most impressive.
We decended down to the Rose restaurant in glorious sunshine, it was really busy at Southend and a meal and some beers hit the spot.
24vpaf7.jpg

2wduiz4.jpg

9a1f0h.jpg

Although i still had this feeling my seatpost ....................................

Sorry Steve, hope i didn't ruin your day and hope your not hurt too bad.
Sig life saver thankyou and thanks to Dave.
Great ride everyone, i thought being ride leader was going to be hard work but was good, it was a pleasure to ride with you all. Thankyou Del, Sig and Mistral and Mike,tc2 for help with the tail end.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Great day out yesterday.

I wussed out on riding back the thoughts of heading back in to the head wind was too much.

Especially when the alternative was Beers in Calapham. Which I enjoyed very much.

Cheers guys and gals.:ohmy:

More nice snaps and reports. Well done for your big ride steve - you have relatives like mine - first sign of arrival and they snuff the lights! :biggrin:

I have just finished my 500 metre ride with a broken seatclamp. :ohmy: What's next I wonder?)

Was it just collision damage Dave - or did steve sit on your wheel on the way down?

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
And so onto the return.
Alina Katz Sig Mike Misral tc2 and tc1 decided we'll ride back part of the way and catch a train along the way.
od6cp.jpg

So off we went ( although i still had a feeling my seat post had tried to jump me)
1zdspl0.jpg

Katz and Alina taking turns to zoom ahead it wasn't long before the day caught up with them and the pace slowed. Mike had to catch a train so pulled into Stanford le Hope and with Alina Katz and Mistral they said their goodbyes and they were off.
This is where Sig says we'll up the pace now and so we're into freight train/mousketeer mode and charge out of the station (although my seatpost ........................)
a couple of miles up the road i get a flat and i'm down to my last tube and my pump wont pump coz it was damaged in the earlier crash. A local rider stops and offers his pump, thankyou kind man (didn't get his name) and offers use of his track pump at home just up the road.So we're off again and it's a full charge all the way up to the circus tavern (davywalnuts) and we stop for coffee at the costa next door.
I decide to get the train from Sigs local station so we charge out of the petrol station (although i've got this feeling my seatpost tried to jump me)
and a mile down the road my legs give out and we coast down to Romford station just as they close the doors.Sig (superstar) has a quick word with the guard and he lets us through, we say goodbye to Sig (superstar) and jump on the last train and talk about the day.
I get home at 11 undress and have a look in the mirror and see i have another ***hole :biggrin: my moble which was in my jersey had cut another hole into my back it hadn't gone through the skin but had tried it's best to.

Another great ride home to put into the diary.
103hk4x.jpg

Alina
24loimv.jpg

Katz
2dbnte9.jpg

Sig (superstar)
2ii7ck4.jpg

Mike (he had Sigs cake in his bag nooooooooooooooooooo)
167pbax.jpg

Mistral
c2c0l.jpg

tc2
29vdxyv.jpg

tc1 (new saddle dave?)

Martin we saw this guy in costas and thought of you
260zz10.jpg

:ohmy:

Sig SilverPrinter

Once again i had a great time.
After getting up slightly later than planned due to too much wine being drunk the night before I made my way to the start getting my photo of the giant seagull statue on the way.I remember in dagenham some fracas with a wvm and somebody trying to run dave over in the petrol station.
Didn't see the collision but after a quick phonecall to the husband we had a plan, all fixed and we were on our way.Helens computer made a bid for freedom, I managed to stop abruptly with the help of a hedge :biggrin: got off and ran back and found it,the rest of the ride to Southend was very pleasant.
After chips ,ice cream and chocolate frostie squares[v nice Helen] the magnificent 7 decided to head for home .Our aim was to get to Basildon and possibly get a train,we shot through without stopping. Mike was getting a bit concerned about getting his train home and then we came to Stanfod le hope station, the train was due in in 2 minutes,then the train was there and mike was still purchasing tickets,the tickets seemed to take an age to print but he made it.
And then there were 3. The sun was setting,we set off at a good pace and then the puncture happened down a very narrow country lane, Dave sent his brother off to scout ahead to see if there was a better place to stop and luckily there was.After help from the young chap from the southend wheelers we were on our way.We stopped for coffee , Dave asked where the cake was-it was heading home to Hull with Mike.I chatted to a tattoed bloke who had just cycled 20 miles and was stopping to buy a huge bottle of southern comfort,he was quite amazed at our mileage,and then in walked Captain America :ohmy:
We set off again, headed to Romford,got to the station,said our goodbyes then i headed for home, got in just gone 10pm after 102 miles,texted mike to see if he got his train and remind him that there was cake in his back pack.Had pizza and wine and fell asleep on the settee.
Thanks Topcat for a fantastic day:biggrin:

handbag

Thanks soooo much to TP1 and the rest, I had a great time riding with you all! despite some minor accident we were back on track relatively quickly, and most importantly nobody was seriously hurt. thanks for yummy cakes Helen and Sig, maybe I'll bring some too when I get a bigger handbag :smile:
looking forward to see you all soon :smile:

Top Bottom